Davit's or crane?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Guru
We are getting close to putting a deposit on a new American Tug...probably the 395 model.
One decision facing us is dinghy storage...
AT offers both a stern davit and an upper deck crane set up.
As the entry to the cockpit of this model is from the swim platform, they allow the rear davit's to pivot outward allowing access to the platform. The other option is the upper deck crane stowing the dinghy on the upper deck in removable chocks.

Who likes which system and why?
Thanks,
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 123
There are a lot of different types of davits. Some will impede access to the swim platform more than others. Find out exactly what AT is proposing and post some pictures of the installations.

FWIW, I really like the Sea Wise davits on my boat. It leaves the swim step reasonably clear and allow someone to walk from one side of the swim step to the other while the dinghy is in place.

Also, I have a crane on my boat that the PO never used. I plan on setting it up to use so I have the option of keeping the dinghy in either position.

Last edited:
Here is the best I can find...
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 189
And one with a dinghy...
Bruce

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 182
Yup. I don't like that type of system because while the dinghy is in place, you can't use the swim step. iirc, the AT has an off set door from the swim step into the cockpit (starboard side?). That means that a port side tie with the dinghy in place would be awkward. That type of davit is great for storing a dinghy in many ways, but it eliminate the swim step for use.

The advantage of a davit system is that you can easily launch the dinghy while tied to a dock on either side. With most cranes, you have to launch the dinghy from that side of the boat that the crane is on.

Check out the Sea Wise davits and see what you think.

I have the dinghy stored on the upper deck. I can raise and lower it by myself, but I find myself wishing for a swim step storage option on those times where I travel to multiple locations on a longer trip. It would be easier to deploy and store on the swim step in those cases. It is very secure on the upper deck. It would definitely be in the way always on the swim step. Upper deck wins in my situation. That said, if I was getting a swim step davit, it would be the Sea Wise.

I have the dinghy stored on the upper deck. I can raise and lower it by myself, but I find myself wishing for a swim step storage option on those times where I travel to multiple locations on a longer trip. It would be easier to deploy and store on the swim step in those cases. It is very secure on the upper deck. It would definitely be in the way always on the swim step. Upper deck wins in my situation. That said, if I was getting a swim step davit, it would be the Sea Wise.

I just took delivery of hoist straps today that I want to use on my crane. I hope to go anchor somewhere this weekend and try it out. If it works well, then I have to come up with some chocks for the boat deck. I am thinking that having both options will be really nice.

Bruce, it is relatively easy to install davits or have them installed. Installing a crane however is not something I would attempt but would be best handled by the manufacturer. So, given a choice of davits or crane on a new boat purchase, I would go with a crane and then add davits later if desired.

Interesting...
I am leaning toward the crane but I never considered getting the dinghy down when at the dock!
I suppose that if you are at the dock, you aren't likely to need the dinghy...
Thanks for the replies!
Bruce

Interesting...
I am leaning toward the crane but I never considered getting the dinghy down when at the dock!
I suppose that if you are at the dock, you aren't likely to need the dinghy...
Thanks for the replies!
Bruce

I get mine down while at the dock a lot during crabbing season.

I get mine down while at the dock a lot during crabbing season.

Is your crane centered on the upper deck or offset? If offset can you launch your dinghy on the side opposite the crane? I know you can't on my boat. My crane is on the the starboard side and can't extend enough to launch a dinghy on the port side.

Is your crane centered on the upper deck or offset? If offset can you launch your dinghy on the side opposite the crane? I know you can't on my boat. My crane is on the the starboard side and can't extend enough to launch a dinghy on the port side.

I launch the dinghy on the port side. For the last few years there has not been a boat in the port side slip next to me, so it makes getting the dinghy down easy. I can still launch it when a sailboat is next to me with a narrow stern, but another wide body trawler would make it impossible.

I launch the dinghy on the port side. For the last few years there has not been a boat in the port side slip next to me, so it makes getting the dinghy down easy. I can still launch it when a sailboat is next to me with a narrow stern, but another wide body trawler would make it impossible.

What size/weight dinghy do you carry up there, if you don't mind my asking?

I have a 12' aluminum rib with a 20hpHonda 4 stroke. It probably weighs 400lbs. The crane is a steelhead with. 1,000 lb capacity.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1463104939.150012.jpg

dhays; said:
Check out the Sea Wise davits...
The other day I watched a guy crank up his RIB on the swim step. Switched arms back and forth obviously bothered by it. No way to power those things? Even a cordless drill with the right socket 'stead of the crank?

We have the Weaver Davit system with a 11' 10" Whaler dinghy. I can pull it up to the vertically stored position fairly easy. OK, it's a quick little work out... But, I don't know if I would want a davit system where the dinghy is stored horizontally. Our friends have that, and if they forget to remove the plug their RIB fills with water when it rains (has happened). And when they launch the dinghy if they forget to replace the plug... (has happened as well!)

The other day I watched a guy crank up his RIB on the swim step. Switched arms back and forth obviously bothered by it. No way to power those things? Even a cordless drill with the right socket 'stead of the crank?

I find it really easy. I happen to have a Winchrite that I used on my sailboat. I have thought that it would be very easy to adapt it to fit on the Sea Wise but it is really so easy to raise that I doubt I will bother. They do make electric versions of the Sea Wise davit however.

There are several other factors that would play a role in my choice. As to your platform, how wide is it? Is it fixed or does it lower into the water?
How far off the water is it? What size crane and how much weight do they figure in addition to the crane?

Generally I prefer a crane. However, that does sacrifice a good bit of space on a boat that size. Plus, I'd want the biggest rib possible. It seems that would be 10-11' on that boat, plus I'd want a decent size outboard. If either solution prevented that then I'd be looking the other way. We use our RIB too much to go smaller with it. Our personal preference would be a 12' jet RIB but that would not be for most.

Still if my crane is too small or my space up top too small, then I think less of that choice.

On the platform or davits, I don't want the dinghy wider than the platform. I also wouldn't sacrifice length because of boarding needs. I'd prefer a platform that lowered into the water and then just using chocks instead of a davit. That also requires it's high enough not to be in the water when running.

Either solution can have docking challenges. A crane needs you to dock on the right side if side tie and really struggles in a slip. The davit isn't so good in a side tie situation if many boats are packed tightly but great in a slip and good in most side tie situations.

I know I haven't provided answers, but hopefully some points that will help you figure them out.

Next I would want to know what they've installed, what dinghies have been used and how they're worked. You've got weight on top vs weight hanging off the back. I've seen boats in that range that really struggle with added weight behind the stern.

I wouldn't want to be doing something different than others have successfully done. I have only seen crane used on that specific boat. Now perhaps you'll gather other information. If not, I'd lean strongly to the crane.

Davits are quick handy and can be used as extra storage (garbage bags) when inshore cruising.

They make docking more expensive as they are counted as LOA when alongside.

Offshore the chance of a wave filling , and wiping off the setup exists, so an on board storage spot must be found .
A condom dink can be deflated and stowed if the boat has a good cockpit , a more robust dink will need a hoist to bring aboard.

The more I think about this the more I believe that the crane is our answer.
I really do not want to lose the space on the swim platform to something as large as a dinghy...
Bruce

I vote for the crane setup, although that deck space would be great for some big solar panels.

Attachments

• American tug.jpg
    American tug.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 89
"I really do not want to lose the space on the swim platform to something as large as a dinghy..."

However for the anchor out cruiser the dink is as important as the horse was to a cowboy.

Everything depends on how you use the boat.

"I really do not want to lose the space on the swim platform to something as large as a dinghy..."

However for the anchor out cruiser the dink is as important as the horse was to a cowboy.

Everything depends on how you use the boat.

We are definitely the "on the hook" type...
The dinghy is an essential part of cruising, no question! We have a 10' Trinka that accompanies us 99% of the time. I am sure that the davit's would be faster to launch and that is one reason we considered them.

We have time to figure all of this out!
Bruce

Three additional factors to consider.

Dinghy davits lengthen the boat for many marinas, incurring additional charges.

In many areas boaters partially raise the dinghy out of the water each night for security purposes. You cannot do that with most cranes because you cannot suspend the load.

The davits displayed look like they and the dinghy would take a beating in a following sea.

I prefer my crane.

Keeps the transom and swim platform clear for boarding and docking.
Dinghy is more safely secured on it's upper deck cradle in bad sea conditions.
Very easy to store the dinghy at night on the cradle with crane still attached.
Reduced risk of theft or vandalism on the upper deck.
Crane can be used for loading other heavy or awkward items from the dock to the boat.

Ted

Crane. A week after you install the davits you'll wonder what was I thinking. Depending on the sink you may want to stow it upside down and keep the motor down low perhaps in a laz to keep it more protected. Crane can also be used for anchor retrieval moving batteries etc...

Spell check via iPhone.

I'm still kicking this question around. For those of you with heavier dinghies (400+ lbs) that you carry aloft, do you notice or worry about stability issues? Do you carry it up there in heavier seas? I know the answers will be boat-dependent, but lots of people warn against it generally . . . and I want to carry 500 lbs up there safely.

I would choose the crane. This keeps the swim platform clear of hardware and the dink itself.

When using the dinghy frequently, for example during summer cruising, you can tow it and have it always readily available for use while having the space free in the flying bridge.

For longer runs or when rough conditions are expected it can be hoisted and out of the way.

Back
Top Bottom