Metric wire to AWG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Much of the wire on my boat is from Taiwan and sized in millimeters. I need to buy a lug for a 14-mm negative cable. Obviously this doesn't refer to diameter, so is it a cross-sectional measure? If so, when I buy an AWG lug to fit a 14-mm wire, it looks I'd need one sized for a number 6. Sound right?

Thanks, Jon. I've seen this very page and, you're right, the 13.3 mm vs 6 AWG is the only thing that makes sense. Just looking for confirmation.

If you have a android phone. Get "awg metric converter". It was a big help when i was working on ships with Europeans.

Brilliant! There is, of course, an app for that . . . including for the iPhone. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks! :thumb:

Brilliant! There is, of course, an app for that . . . including for the iPhone. Don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks! :thumb:

You can get that sort of stuff right on the Internet. No need for a special phone or "app".

You can get that sort of stuff right on the Internet. No need for a special phone or "app".

I use an app because when i was at sea. There was no easy access to the Internet. Plus it save time not having to find the info on the net.

Did you measure the diameter? Where did the 14mm come from?

It would be marked on the jacket just like domestic made wire. Except it would be marked something like 14mm2.

Correct. In my case, this is a fairly short piece and the last part of that designation was cut off.

As for apps, few things are quicker or handier. Internet and cell service are weak to non-existent at my marina.

Back
Top Bottom