Do you worry about fuel prices?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
On another boating forum I frequent where there are a lot of folks that own larger gas powered boats, they are debating/pondering how high fuel prices on the docks will go this summer. *Do you all worry about fuel prices this year?
I must confess, when I had my 38 sedan with gasers that could suck down 55-60 GPH at WOT, fuel prices were a real concern for me. *With our Monk though- I honestly don't worry about what fuel prices may do at all. *My tanks aren't even near full right now and I have enough to probably run for 115-125 hours @ hull speed. *If I stay @ our home marina and just anchor out every weekend in the nearby coves I could make that last 2 years and still go out every weekend on the water. *If we stick to our plan of doing some traveling this summer we'll burn a lot more but still.
I guess the point of this thread is that I am really glad we own a trawler now! *My trip down the river the other weekend for 3 days burned around 22-23 gallons of fuel, +/-. *iN my previous boat, at same speed, that would have cost me about 110-115 gallons of gas. *If I got that boat up on plane (not WOT, just on plane), I would have burned around 210 gallons of gas. *That equates to a staggering $770 more in fuel costs to do the same trip if I had done it in my old boat and traveled with her up on plane at a moderate cruise speed. *Those numbers are based on today's real fuel costs of what I can get on the docks- $2.99 for diesel, $4 for gas.

GO TRAWLERS! *
biggrin.gif

Woodsong wrote:

Do you all worry about fuel prices this year?
No.* Even at $5 a gallon or even more*fuel is such an insignificant percentage of the owership costs of a boat like ours that we don't worry about it.* We wish it was lower, no question.* But the price of fuel is not going to make one dent in how we are planning to use our boat(s) this year, how often,*or where we are going to go.

Prices are what they are. What's the point in worrying? As I tell my wife and my mother, "there are a billion things you could worry about happening, and it is the thing you don't worry about that will likely happen". And as Marin says, fuel costs are the least of the costs of boat ownership.

-- Edited by Carey on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:32:31 PM

If our boats burned 60 GPH I suspect we'd all adjust our boat usage after a while. I know when fuel went up to $5/gallon when we had our previous boat, it really did impact our usage. Or, more accurately stated, it impacted our speed. We virtually never went on plane when it went that high in price- hard to justify paying $150 an hour just in fuel burn costs all in the name of getting there just a few minutes faster via a moderate cruise speed on plane. We still went out every weekend- we just went slower. In the end it also showed us that going slow is actually more relaxing and enjoyable.

But this again is where we really love having a trawler. With fuel burn at basically almost nothing, cost of fuel is not a concern for us at all from a boating perspective.

Has me in a bloddy tizzy mates. If fuel gets any higher I'll have to go 5 knots and then I'll be burning 1.5 quarts an hour. As it is I'd be very hard pressed to burn $50 a day but on the other hand this summer we intend to cruise in SE a total distance of at least what it would take to go back down south and return. So if fuel goes to $7 or $8 a gallon I'll still not be concerned and if I had bought one of those other boats I've been looking at I would (to some extent) be concerned. So I'm a happy camper. Thinking about our discussion of running engines at the float I took Willy out for an hour or so today. Was calm and very nice in the bay but out in Clarence Strait lumpy seas we're coming in from the east. It's been months since I dipped the tanks and I think I noticed a slight stbd list so I need to flip the distribution valves to draw off the stbd tank.

If I still had my old gas boat I don't think I'd worry too much as at 16K it got ~2 mpg. 28 fter.

However, some of out friend with 32-36 gas boats have definitely curtailed their trips and the frequency due to the cost. Even if they slow down it still cost enough to be of concern.

I'm happy with our boat. I wish it would do 15-18K at 2 gph but my fairy wand isn't working any more so I have to be happy with about 7.5K at 2.5 gph. or about $12-16 per hour.
With fuel as it seems to be going, the running costs will go up but we can still handle it without too much griping.

"So I used to get a bunch of friends, take all day (at least 8 hours) and have a wonderful time seeing the City. New York never looks prettier than from the water."

With careful attention to the tides (depart under the Throgs Neck at high tide ) the fuel burn can be a gallon or two.

No engine required to flush down and back , just to steer in Hells Gate , if needed.

For most 100 -200 hour displacement marine motorists , fuel costs are meaningless.

Of course we would all like to see 17c a gallon again , but not with 85% of our countrys energy "off limits", its probably not happening soon.

Yes I do!!!!!** Not for the boat, but for the economy in general.

Fuel costs are passed to the consumer in everything we buy.

It is not the price that bothers me as much as how quickly it can change.

The fact we refuse to develop our own (United States) energy independence, leaves us at the whim of every middle east crisis.

As soon as the US starts to look into doing something about it OPEC lowers the price and the whole cycle starts again.

100/barrel= do able

150/barrel= recession

200/barrel=* ???????

Do we really want someone else in the World setting the price?

JohnP

My last boat was a twin gasser that could burn $200/day if I pushed it. Now burning 1.6 GPH @ 7 knots, I laugh when I pass the fuel dock. But I agree with JohnP, it's not good for the economy in general.

Not worried YET... But that could change.

Old Stone wrote:- I got through the Gate, and was almost up to the Con Ed power plant, when, before I could react, the current spun her 90 degrees. I powered her up and swung the wheel hard to port.

-- Edited by Old Stone on Saturday 26th of February 2011 08:03:12 AM

********** Carl, I did a 180 in the same spot in a light weight sloop with a fin keel and a 2 cylinder Yanmar.*** It just pulled the wheel right out of my hand.

***********Strange currents there!

********* JohnP

If diesel at the dock goes to $10 per gallon, it will cost me less than that per hour of operation of Boomarang.
smile.gif

Ah, diesel trawlers.* The Jetta TDI of the waterways!
wink.gif

6gph at 16 knots....not bad for a planing 30 footer.

-- Edited by Baker on Saturday 26th of February 2011 10:01:12 AM

Baker, I see this thread has left you speechless! :)

Yes, I do care about rising fuel prices. I don't have a diesel trawler! Budds' Outlet burns 15 gph on plan which translates to 1.6 mpg. The trouble is that it is a pain to steer straight at 5-6 knots where it would get 4 mpg. However, as has been stated, fuel is not the biggest annual cost and I'm happy to be boating. I'm looking forward to the day when the auto pilot steers my diesel cruiser/trawler along at 7-8 knots and I plan my passages around tide tables.

I am not a fan of higher prices on fuel, but the one interesting side effect on the water there are less 5-6' Bayliner wakes to steer through or around.

3 years ago when there was a spike in fuel, somehow most of these wake makers suddenly slowed down to closer to displacement speed - sure made the waterways here in the PNW*much less choppy.

Also, there were far fewer boats in the really great anchorages further north.

On a typical summer's cruise, I burn 1.5 gal/hr at 7.8Knts. - even if I run up to the Broughton group from Seattle, that is around 60-70 gallons each way. While I will probably end up putting on 200-230 engine hours on such a trip, it still is a fairly inexpensive bill in the grand scheme of things.

AT $4 per gallon, $1200 for a summers worth of fuel still is not too bad -

My household budget for gas/diesel is $300 a month - which I am not consuming when I am on the boat anyway.

Woodsong wrote:

Baker, I see this thread has left you speechless! :)

I am probably the only one that understands your post. *I posted something and it just didn't show up!!!...So I went back and edited and repoted...weird.

When I think of it in terms of distance (the loop, foe example), yes...I get concerned, because I do want to do some distance cruising in the future, but someone here on another thread switched my thinking to "enjoyment per hour". There, at less than 2 gallons per hour, I'm happy.

Yes, since we heat the boat with diesel.* We use 10 to 20 gallons each week.* To day is 23 degrees and snowing so we are using 20+ gallons per week.*
cry.gif

When we had the last real price hike I just spent more time at anchor.
I set a monthly budget for fuel costs when we are cruising and cruise to that.
Price just makes the steaming time vary.

This is ok if you dont have a set time/destination to make.

Benn

I don't worry about it for my boat because at 8.5 kts I burn 3GPH. WIth 1200 gallon capacity, I still have 600 gallons onboard that came with the boat...I've yet to spend money on new fuel for the boat, just treat, polish, and run.

I am very concerned for our marina fuel dock and service/brokerage company business. If boats don't run, they don't buy fuel, don't break, don't need oil changes and service work, owners don't use them so therefor don not think about upgrading, refitting, adding stuff, etc. People might be scared to buy them so no new people getting into boating....etc. I guess if we have made it through and grown the last couple years, as long as it does not completley blast off, we will be fine, but it is a little discouraging to think about $5/gal or higher fuel this summer just as we where starting to see improvement in many other areas of our business..

JMYSS wrote:*

I am very concerned for our marina fuel dock and service/brokerage company business.

********* Tim, Unfortunately a lot of businesses*might *feel the pinch with 5. fuel.

*************** There are a lot of folks still reeling from housing bubble issues.

*************** Just when they think they may have more spendable cash, something pops up and it evaporates.

******** On a brighter note I love your boat, 42' single aluminum- How nice is that.

******** What make is she?

*JohnP

We cruise full time with no land based property and we don't*have* a car*other than our kayak and dinghy.* In the last Last year we bought over 1500 gallons of diesel for propulsion and energy with the average price at around $3.00/gallon.** If diesel went to $5.00/gallon that would add $250/month in expenses.**We wouldn't*like to pay $5.00/gallon*but I'm not sure it would change our lives much.*

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Bahia de Sol, El Salvador

JohnP wrote:

Yes I do!!!!!** Not for the boat, but for the economy in general.

Fuel costs are passed to the consumer in everything we buy.

It is not the price that bothers me as much as how quickly it can change.

The fact we refuse to develop our own (United States) energy independence, leaves us at the whim of every middle east crisis.

As soon as the US starts to look into doing something about it OPEC lowers the price and the whole cycle starts again.

100/barrel= do able

150/barrel= recession

200/barrel=* ???????

JohnP
I am with you John P!!

John,

Thanks! Build is "Islander Custom Yachts" was built in Sarasota FL, company long since out of business. I have only found one other one on yachtworld. Rumor has it they built these hulls as patrol boats for Canadian coast guard then built a few as a "trawler yacht" ..right now it has a single Perkins 6.354 natural , ...1350 Gallons fuel in 3 tanks with 1200 usable, 300 gallons water, gutted it*and redid every inch of wiring,plumbing, panels, rebuilt the engine, added a oversized bow thruster, new canvas, etc now getting to the expensive stuff like electronics. bought the boat 2.5 years ago with 1000 gallons fuel onboard and due to all the work being done and hill time have only been able to burn off about 400 or so...

Here's to hoping the fuel prices don't take too much out of people pockets....

Worry is not the term that comes to mind.* Concerned for the economy?* Yes.* It just makes me shop a little harder for the best price for a fill up.* We hold 450 gal. so we have enough range to pick our stops.* It probably will not slow down our cruising or our boat.* At 27 knots we get 1 statute mpg.* We will burn about 1500 gal going to the Chesapeake.* The trip will probably cost us an extra $1,500 to 2,000.* We will still do it.* I bought the boat to move around and see different areas.* That has not changed.* 1,000 hp burns a little fuel.
smile.gif

Of course we do!

All commodities are traded world wide by auction.

True when speculators out number the delivery folks by 40-1 there will be a price spike.

But for most users that is usually covered with a Fwd delivery contract.

Avista wrote:

JohnP wrote:

JohnP

The reality is that the world market will always set the price we pay.* Even if oil is produced here, it will be sold to the*highest market.* That means that*the higher world market sets the price for the oil that we produce at home.* The world economy runs on oil.* It makes no sense for us not to be developing our oil reserves.* Even if it is sold abroad it will help our economy and balance of payments.* More supply will help stabalize prices.*

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom