Old 05-11-2016, 09:59 PM   #16
FlyWright
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Al and Dave, I have a question for you (or any others).

Let's say you have lowered the anchor and it's set and you want to attach a bridle that would then be attached to your deck cleats on the other end.

Do you reach out around the pulpit to get the chain grabber or whatever you're using to attach the bridle to the anchor chain?
Mike,

Mine's a bit simpler than most here. I have a single line as my snubber. On one end it's got your average, run-of-the-mill chain hook. On the other, it's a 20 ft 1/2 nylon 3-strand line. In the middle is one of these Davis Shockles elastic snubbers.

To deploy, I set the anchor then hook the snubber between the windlass and the anchor roller. I feed out the chain and the hook, snubber and line pass through the bail and over the roller, following the chain. When the length is about right, I cleat the line and release another foot or so of chain to load the snubber and unload the chain. It's set so that the chain takes up load as the snubber reaches its max extension.

Here's a video of a guy deploying his on his chain. I don't like this method because it fails to unload the windlass.

In real life, I only need to deploy this in shallow anchorages of less than 15 ft. Beyond that, I release all my chain (120') and an additional length of 5/8 Brait and tie off on the cleat so no snubber is needed. Most of my anchoring is in 20-35 ft.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote