Rookie checking in.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BIG CAT

:hide: Rooking checking in. I am seriously thinking about selling off my drag car stuff and getting into a trawler type boat. So i am here to learn as much as i can before making any crazy decisions.

thanks guys. i have lurked for a few weeks and can see this place is a wealth of knowledge.

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You fully realize that distance that now takes you 8 seconds to do will in future take you almost 2 minutes? (1/4 mile).

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. You fully realize that distance that now takes you 8 seconds to do will in future take you almost 2 minutes? (1/4 mile).

:rofl::facepalm: yup. looking at the bright side at least i won't be burning up a $50 bill in less than 10 seconds.

:rofl::facepalm: yup. looking at the bright side at least i won't be burning up a $50 bill in less than 10 seconds.

Oh man, you may be in for quite the shock when it comes to fuel burn!

Oh man, you may be in for quite the shock when it comes to fuel burn!

:D well i know a little about fuel burn.
i work for a cat dealer in south ms. i am in power generation field service. the most i have ever personally burnt is 177 gph x 8 gens. the contractor paid right at 440k for fuel for acceptance testing. lol thankfully i don't have to pay for those tests.

:D well i know a little about fuel burn.
i work for a cat dealer in south ms. i am in power generation field service. the most i have ever personally burnt is 177 gph x 8 gens. the contractor paid right at 440k for fuel for acceptance testing. lol thankfully i don't have to pay for those tests.

And you STILL want to buy a boat?

And you STILL want to buy a boat?

hahaha. yeah i do.

having grown up with my dad taking us fishing and diving and working on the water from time to time. the open water calls to you in way.

img_441499_0_b5bd7d217dde9887c0af23f48f47cab4.jpg

I am seriously thinking about selling off my drag car stuff and getting into a trawler type boat.

Welcome aboard -
Talk about switching from Go Fast - to Go Slow!... Watch out for whip lash!
Goin' slow ain't all that bad.

:hide: Rooking checking in. I am seriously thinking about selling off my drag car stuff and getting into a trawler type boat. So i am here to learn as much as i can before making any crazy decisions.

Why not have both... in a way - LOL

I noticed you mentioned "... trawler type boat." Soooo I provide you with this post... from me... a "rock n' roll" 64 yr. "Salt"

1. Planing hull self contained boat (in this forum sometimes termed a "trawler-light", because to carry "Trawler" nomenclature many here think displacement hull is required - get over it guys! :nonono: LOL)

2 Classic Muscle Car - That's Self Explanatory!

So...

I have very affordable 34' Tollycraft tri cabin, self contained, planing hull boat with Crestliner tow behind outboard. Tolly can do WOT in low 20 knots per hr (cruises at 16 to 17 knots all day) Crestlined gets 39 knots at WOT and cruises nice at 25 knots. Neither is extravagant on fuel use... although it can end up costing a few bucks!

I also have 1967 Buick Wildcat... really cool Luxury-Muscle Car! And a hopped up 1985 1 ton 4 WD, 4 spd (with transfer box for 8 speeds total), full sized fleet-side, 4" lifted... Chevy Silverado truck! We also have an SUV, and two econo cars - that I seldom drive, but wife likes em!

Point is - - > No Need to go TOOOOO Slow in Life! IMHO - Displacement boat hulls may be great for crossing oceans at s-l-o-w economy speeds... but planing hull boats are much more fun under vast array of general boating conditions. :thumb:

Last edited:
thanks.

Welcome aboard -
Talk about switching from Go Fast - to Go Slow!... Watch out for whip lash!
Goin' slow ain't all that bad.

i haven't given up on drag racing. i will still be tuning and driving the brother inlaws car. so i will still get my go fast fix.

Why not have both... in a way - LOL

I noticed you mentioned "... trawler type boat." Soooo I provide you with this post... from me... a "rock n' roll" 64 yr. "Salt"

1. Planing hull self contained boat (in this forum sometimes termed a "trawler-light", because to carry "Trawler" nomenclature many here think displacement hull is required - get over it guys! :nonono: LOL)

2 Classic Muscle Car - That's Self Explanatory!

So...

I have very affordable 34' Tollycraft tri cabin, self contained, planing hull boat with Crestliner tow behind outboard. Tolly can do WOT in low 20 knots per hr (cruises at 16 to 17 knots all day) Crestlined gets 39 knots at WOT and cruises nice at 25 knots. Neither is extravagant on fuel use... although it can end up costing a few bucks!

I also have 1967 Buick Wildcat... really cool Luxury-Muscle Car! And a hopped up 1985 1 ton 4 WD, 4 spd (with transfer box for 8 speeds total), full sized fleet-side, 4" lifted... Chevy Silverado truck! We also have an SUV, and two econo cars - that I seldom drive, but wife likes em!

Point is - - > No Need to go TOOOOO Slow in Life! IMHO - Displacement boat hulls may be great for crossing oceans at s-l-o-w economy speeds... but planing hull boats are much more fun under vast array of general boating conditions. :thumb:

10-4. nice toys! :thumb:

i see we think along the same lines. i am a loooong way off from retirement so if/when i do make a trip i won't have an over abundance of time for transit. so i will take my time and put down on paper what i want vs what i need then go from there.

Most of the "crazy decisions" start with buying a boat in the first place! Someone said a while back that, "money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a boat"! Welcome aboard!

Most of the "crazy decisions" start with buying a boat in the first place! Someone said a while back that, "money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a boat"! Welcome aboard!

thanks. lol you can add thinking with the wrong head to that statement.:D

Hey - Here's the REAL Deal! :thumb:! :speed boat:

Boating is for kids and kids only!! :thumb::thumb: :speed boat::speed boat:

Hi Fellow Kids!!! :thumb::thumb::thumb: :speed boat::speed boat::speed boat:

Art - - >:dance:

Back
Top Bottom