Tug ignores me; I blinked

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markpierce

Master and Commander
Vessel Name
Carquinez Coot
Vessel Make
penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Today, heading in the middle of a mile-wide strait, a commercial tug about a mile and a half heading directly toward me, I turned 15 degrees to starboard. Shortly, it was apparent the tug had turned about 15 degrees to his port! And within a few minutes it was apparent we were headed for collision. About 200-yards distant, it was apparent the tug wouldn't give preference to my stand-on status, so I turned 30 degrees to port. ... There was no necessity for the tug to head for port side (to him) of the strait other than to shorten the distance to his destination. Here, small commercial vessels expect recreational vessels to get out of their way.

Boating is a "game." But don't trust anyone to follow the rules. Assume everyone is incompetent unless otherwise demonstrated.

Last edited:
I suppose they work on the assumption that you won't want a mark on your boat and they don't care.... :banghead:

A bit like old van drivers.....

I suppose they work on the assumption that you won't want a mark on your boat and they don't care.... :banghead:

A bit like old van drivers.....

No different than truckers on the road. As you said Mark ..we're just recreation they are there working. Therefore much more important than us.

Wifey B: He figured you'd give in. :)

He was right, you did. :D

Did you call them on the radio and question on why they made the move that they did?

May have been setting up for a needed course change due to channel course, depth, width etc.

Did you call them on the radio and question on why they made the move that they did?

May have been setting up for a needed course change due to channel course, depth, width etc.

My question as well. Always establish communication when a passing situation is in question.

When I see a runabout coming towards me, I too expect them to alter course if need be, why? because not withstanding rules, common sense says the more maneuverable boat should adjust course.

Maybe that's just me. But I would never expect a bigger vessel to change course for me.

That's certainly the rule in NY harbor, though I am not sure ferries change course for anyone.

or

riding down the street on my bicycle, I may have the right of way, but I would not pull out in front of a car unless they were dead stopped; otherwise I would be the person dead.
Right, but dead not the less.

No didn't call. By the time I could read the name, it would be too late.

The strait there is wide and deep. No navigational need to change course at that point.

Gotcha, just a thought.

Good reason for AIS is to know the name of the vessels before getting close.

"Da bigger da boat, da righter de way."

Don't need the name of the boat, just the location and general direction he is going, and identifying yourself and where you are relative to him. This is the case in almost all closing situations other than from you coming astern. Basic seamanship, IMO.

Had a tug pass on my port side about 20' away and pushing a helluva lot of water, he then mad a sharp turn across my bow missing me by about 15' ........

Securite, Securite, Securite - All mariners take heed. The tug Moran heading north bound into the East River in an erratic and dangerous manner.

Heard the CG call him, they never called me and I never heard their conversation.

Had a tug pass on my port side about 20' away and pushing a helluva lot of water, he then mad a sharp turn across my bow missing me by about 15' ........

Securite, Securite, Securite - All mariners take heed. The tug Moran heading north bound into the East River in an erratic and dangerous manner.

Heard the CG call him, they never called me and I never heard their conversation.

Now to me, that's a lot different that Mark's situation. He did put you at risk and continued operating as he was could put others in harms way.

Good reason for AIS is to know the name of the vessels before getting close.

I suppose. ... In hindsight, he'd demand a starboard-to-starboard meet which would be OK with me. My initial move was to starboard over a mile away, the standard response to a head-to-head meet. Unfortunately, his subsequent maneuver to port countered that. ... Regardless, the stand-on vessel (me as the tug subsequently put him to my portside) needed to make an avoidance maneuver as called for by the rules (and my survival.)

I would not go back that way.

Unless of course you camouflage the boat.:whistling:

And if you're shy, or not used to or familiar with using a VHF radio, five blasts on those nice air horns can work too.

See also Richard's excellent "Working boats" thread.

No need for AIS. In our area a simple smartphone with Marinetraffic can give the info you need to effectively communicate with a vessel at a distance before it becomes an issue.

Having worked on tugs here in the NW for some years, I am somewhat sympathetic to the tug driver. While of course P-P is preferred when easy to accomplish, its just as easy to maintain course and speed and go green to green. They get a lot of hammerhead yachts doing all manner of stupid things on the water putting themselves and others in danger, they are out there all the time trying to make a living, and having to deal with all the little boats sometimes gets a little tiresome. Not trying to excuse any real dangerous actions here, but it sounds like in this case, had I been on the tug, I would have done the same thing. I always try to stay out of the way of the big boys.

Pretty scary. A few feet more and the guy would have gone completely under the bow of the ship. Looks like no one on either boat was paying any attention at all. Unbelievable!

Pretty scary. A few feet more and the guy would have gone completely under the bow of the ship. Looks like no one on either boat was paying any attention at all. Unbelievable!

The majority of all collisions could be avoided by either boat. That's rule number one, avoid a collision. All the other rules are just there to try to help you do so. However, ultimately, you do whatever it takes to avoid one and forget who is in the right or wrong. Now, allisions are much easier to establish the blame.

However, ultimately, you do whatever it takes to avoid one and forget who is in the right or wrong. Now, allisions are much easier to establish the blame.

Ain't that the truth! And I've got a new anchor pulpit, rubrail and bottom paint to prove it!

Fleet Week San Francisco 2015....34 ft Californian LRC vs 60 ft Hatteras! Fortunately, my 15 kg Lewmar Claw held both me and a Hatt situated 90 degrees to my bow like a pickle on a fork. If it had failed, we would have been blown onto the rocks of Alcatraz Island or through the crowd of Fleet Week 2015 in the middle of the Blue Angels flight demonstration.

You can see the holes punched into the masonite panel above the port caprail.

img_441522_0_d6c63c887a59bace528cae87b90574d9.jpg

markpierce; said:
Today, heading in the middle of a mile-wide strait, a commercial tug about a mile and a half heading directly toward me, I turned 15 degrees to starboard.
A mile wide; a mile and a half away; that's a lot of water to play with. When he altered course to his port so far away, I would have accepted his silent communication of his intention of staying to that side of the "strait" and resumed my original heading. Otherwise, radio; slow down; get out of his way or all the above.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if, so far away, the tug was scratching his head at your intentions. A constant challenge for the commercial guys.

may be he was looking to catch more of a push from the current on that side????

may be he was looking to catch more of a push from the current on that side????

When I travel C Strait against the current, I hug the shore for the current break on the inside of the curve. I can pick up a couple knots by taking advantage of the ebb. I bet he was trying to do the same against the current.

Mark, were you moving with the current?

Flywright, I don't see what you refer to above with "holes in the Masonite above the port caprail". Can you be more specific? Did the other guy drag down on top of you?

Flywright, I don't see what you refer to above with "holes in the Masonite above the port caprail". Can you be more specific? Did the other guy drag down on top of you?

Just forward of his fender line you can see two irregular holes punched into the panel just above the caprail. Those are holes from my anchor pulpit.

He drifted ahead of me on anchor with shifting currents and winds. When he got broadside to my bow on a slack rode, the wind (blowing toward my bow) caught him and blew him onto my pulpit. Prior to this "engagement", he had been steady on anchor to my stbd side in the crowded waters at SFO Fleet Week.

OK, I see what you mean. When you said caprail I thought you meant the bulwark, as most do. The holes are just above the guard or rubstrake. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom