Stair Rugs/Mats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

menzies

Guru
Vessel Name
SONAS
Vessel Make
Grand Alaskan 53
I need to put step rugs on my stairs leading from the PH to the FB, and from the salon to the PH. I have searched high and low for a supplier with no joy. Does anyone have a source for these.

Size is ~ 18X5

See pic. (durned curse of the rotation]

Attachments

• P1000076.JPG
    P1000076.JPG
    180.7 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
How about the roll stair carpet sold at HDepot or Lowes?
Was wondering how are you thinking of attaching carpet?
When I carpeted the boat sole floor, I used SS staples. None have rusted. None are visible. the fit below the tufts. I have 2 steps, they have a grippy glued on piece so no slip. I have seen that too at the store, peel and stick.

Last edited:
If you have a nice boat such as your newest one, why not add stair rods at the back of each step to hold the carpet taut? All you need then is a trim strip at the top and bottom of the stairs.

The Admiral insisted on carpeting to suppress engine noise. It was a bit pricey but she choose beautiful Karastan carpets cut to size including individual carpet pieces for each step. All stay in place due to non skid undercarpet mats which are stuck to the carpet backing with 2 way tape. Looks great and does suppress engine noise.

Purpose for carpet is? One of my favorite changes to my boat was ripping out the stairs' carpet and going to wood.

Folks, those stairs are teak and holly. The carpets are centered to reduce slipping - especially from the FB to the PB on a damp day. It also helps our pooch get traction.

See here for the stairs to the cabins.

Attachments

• P1000113.JPG
    P1000113.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 68
The Admiral insisted on carpeting to suppress engine noise. It was a bit pricey but she choose beautiful Karastan carpets cut to size including individual carpet pieces for each step. All stay in place due to non skid undercarpet mats which are stuck to the carpet backing with 2 way tape. Looks great and does suppress engine noise.

That is what the wife of my boat's PO did to the stairs. I works amazingly well. She did it shortly after they took delivery in 2010 and the carpet is still in great shape.

That is what the wife of my boat's PO did to the stairs. I works amazingly well. She did it shortly after they took delivery in 2010 and the carpet is still in great shape.

My vote would be to duplicate. Unless of course you or your wife object and desire something different.

Edit: Oops sorry, confused Dave with the op. Getting old sucks

If you worry about carpet underway ,

Defender sells Treadmaster step pads with self backed adhesive.

We used a "semi-gloss" finish with a smattering of small AwlGrip non-skip "beads" on the interior stairs and no one ever slipped, even with wet bare feet. On the flying bridge stairs, we used a couple of the 3M sand paper like strips per tread, which also worked well.

Now if the subject stairs are directly above an ER space (none of ours were, save for the generator room indirectly), maybe I can see carpet, as we certainly liked having carpet in our salon above the ERs. But the carpet on the various interior steps (we had three different sets) took a big beating and when it was worn out, going to wood was a no-brainer.

George, mine's are nice teak stairs already that I want to a) protect and b) stop from being slippery when feet are wet coming from the FB.

Back
Top Bottom