what's the boat of your dreams

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Attachments

• DSC_0052 (1).jpg
    DSC_0052 (1).jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 132
So, we (my wife and I) are probably a bit unusual in this regard but neither of us wants a boat bigger than about 40 ish feet...
I do not understand the desire for such large boats...
Sure the space is nice and I'm sure people love them but so much of what we do would be limited by larger boats.
I love wooden boats, plank on frame and cold molded. I love fiberglass boats. Trawlers, tugs, express boats, sailboats, dinghies...
I simply love boats!

Today we headed out for a sea trial on an American Tug 395.
This may soon be our "favorite boat"
Bruce

I think you will enjoy the AT. Very nice boats.

I don't have a dream boat. So many years of having to live within practical limits has taught me that "dreaming" can lead to frustration. Being content has many advantages.

When I was a kid, my dream boat was a C&C 61'. Beautiful performance sailboat.

Now, if money was no object, I would be looking at newer boats similar to my current boat, forty something foot pilothouse single engine trawler with two cabins and U shaped galley.

There are many boats that fit that mold and I just haven't taken the time to view new boats that I will never be able to afford. If I am honest with myself, I would never chose to spend money on those new boats even if I could. I am just too damn frugal.

Wifey B: The boat of my dreams....simple. It's whatever boat I'm on at the moment.

If you haven't seen it, here's the MK II at 50', Keith.
Big difference in space and performance.

Attachments

• 5124783_20150613185705705_1_LARGE.jpg
    5124783_20150613185705705_1_LARGE.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 62
This is one of my favorite things to daydream about. I'd love to have a Krogen Express 52. Big enough to live aboard indefinitely, small enough that I could still handle it easily enough. Good speed if I want to get somewhere, good efficiency if I'm feeling slow. Great layout, great looks. It's all I've ever wanted in a boat.
7_big.jpg

This is one of my favorite things to daydream about. I'd love to have a Krogen Express 52. Big enough to live aboard indefinitely, small enough that I could still handle it easily enough. Good speed if I want to get somewhere, good efficiency if I'm feeling slow. Great layout, great looks. It's all I've ever wanted in a boat.
7_big.jpg

Wifey B: And subliminally you want two of them....;)

My dream boat is my current boat after an extra couple of hundred thousand dollars is spent on it.

Attachments

• DSC00177.jpg
    DSC00177.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 63
Assuming no budget means no fuel or maintenance budget either Trinity makes this little 63 meter that checks off most of my "must haves". Seems a decent compromise at least.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    115.7 KB · Views: 64
My philosophy reflects the words of singer Sheryl Crow;

"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you have."

Makes dreaming a lot easier.

:thumb: My thought exactly! Would rather take the money I would lose selling and buying, to buy more stuff for my current boat.

Ted

Well,
We did a 26 mile run on an American Tug 395 today!
My new favorite boat!
Dorsey (my wife) is slowly coming around to the idea of a power boat and I am sure she will love it!!!
Here is a quick video of 15kts in flat water while we enjoy the view from the flybridge...

Wifey B: Eclectic much? :) Love it. You pick a rare older unique boat and a very nice boat which appearance wise hasn't changed in years and there would be 50 others out there with basically the same boat.

No reason we can't like things from all ends of the spectrum. :speed boat:

Well if you look at my avatar you will see that I already have the classic woodie. The guy across the dock from me has a Westport 112. Very nice comfortable boat. By the way the Blanchard was a stock boat too. Very little variation during the 6 year production run. Blanchards were built about 80 miles from where Westports are built. I am a bit of a regional chauvinist when it comes to boats :) My boat is a one-off though.

Last edited:
Well,
We did a 26 mile run on an American Tug 395 today!
My new favorite boat!
Dorsey (my wife) is slowly coming around to the idea of a power boat and I am sure she will love it!!!
Here is a quick video of 15kts in flat water while we enjoy the view from the flybridge...

Are you selling your Sabre?

If money was no object I would have built from scratch one of my dads tugs from way back. It was 60', wood of course, with an old 180hp Washington in it. I would go for a CAT or something but the boat would be the same overall at least on the outside. Here she is.

Attachments

• IMG_20140525_0001.jpg
    IMG_20140525_0001.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 66
Offshore 64 Pilothouse. Tolly 65 Pilothouse. Sabreline 36' Fast Trawler.

Seems like you just built it yesterday. I remember following your build.

It has now been 11 years! She is a great boat that has taken us to Bermuda 3 times, cruised the coast of Maine for something approaching 2 years in actual time and we have been very happy with her!

I'm the one driving the move to power...
It is simply time.
Bruce

Very little variation during the 6 year production run. Blanchards were built about 80 miles from where Westports are built. I am a bit of a regional chauvinist when it comes to boats :) My boat is a one-off though.

Wifey B: You're not the only regional chauvinist. My hubby is and he's not even from the area. But then Orin Edson is one of his like superheroes. Almost a traitor to be from NC and think so much of the PNW builders and the naval architects in the area. He thinks NC is good though. And from NOLA to Gulfport but it's all commercial now. Maybe we'll get a Fast Supply Vessel one day. :rofl:

The Blanchard didn't surprise me, the WP did.

If you haven't seen it, here's the MK II at 50', Keith.

Big difference in space and performance.

Yes, there are a couple of these - and newer 50s and 52s - in my club. Here's one - today he was berating the guy who does his woodwork because his bright deck had cracks in the finish. I particularly like that 50/54 because the woodwork was down to the (natural) cockpit and coaming. That aft deck reminded me of the aft deck on the longer Flemings (beyond the 50/53). And I'm a bit tickled that I have 2 years seniority over the member with the 50 MK II and would get ahead of him for an upcoming large slip opening that he's been coveting for more than 10 years. Does that make me a bad person? ;)

Edit: I was going to edit this post on my phone and add the image, but apparently that's not supported in the mobile app. Bummer

Last edited:
refugio; said:
I'm a bit tickled that I have 2 years seniority over the member with the 50 MK II and would get ahead of him for an upcoming large slip opening that he's been coveting for more than 10 years.
If that slip comes up, would you have to go bigger to get it?

Trinity makes this little 63 meter that checks off most of my "must haves".
You always were a very sensible man, Craig!:rofl::D........................:whistling:

If that slip comes up, would you have to go bigger to get it?

Yes - his boat is actually 57' overall and the slip is 60' but can go a few feet over. I'm fine right now in my 50' covered but that big outside slip would be the cats pajamas.

Keith

Dreamboat

Our dreamboat is one that everything on it works and looks great.....

you all very reasonable dreamer !!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom