Right spacing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nomadwilly wrote:

Is it true that smarter people tend not to have pets? I wouldn't be surprised if that were true.
No.* The smarter you are the more you appreciate other creatures.* I think most of the people society considers smart have/had pets.** There are a number of engineers at Boeing, for example,*who participate in service dog training programs.* You walk into their offices and they are sitting at their CATIA/DELMIA/CFD screens designing a wing or something and their current service dog trainee is curled up under the table.

The people I know who don't have pets---*and I am NOT including*people who don't have pets for some particular reason: not allowed to have them in their building, for example, alergic, etc.*but really like dogs or cats or whatever---- have generally proven to be rather dull and unimaginitive.* Every single person in the organization I work in at Boeing-- and we are not called Creative Services for no reason--*has at least one pet and a couple have more than one.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 25th of February 2011 01:53:50 PM

Good posts Marin after my smart assed remark. However I think dogs in public places is a bad idea*** .... and totally unacceptable in the work place.
Just saw a great program on India and I get your drift. The Ganges is soooo filthy. Even the freighters on the lower river are unbelievable rust buckets. But wherever people are in the world they make do w what they have. And I was baiting you to some extent w the animal v/s brains so you had to come up w something. And I don't believe my BS any more than I believe yours.

Old Stone,
It is teak. It's not the ceiling though it's the cabin sides in the salon. Willard put a lot of teak trim inside and outside on my boat. I'm quite sure it's factory done and I suspect our boat was dolled up for a boat show. No other Willard has all this extra teak.

Attachments

• all to 12-15-09 164.jpg
    all to 12-15-09 164.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 66
  • sth71154.jpg
    sth71154.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 62
  • sth71158.jpg
    sth71158.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 62
nomadwilly wrote:

Good posts Marin after my smart assed remark. However I think dogs in public places is a bad idea*** .... and totally unacceptable in the work place.

Eric

How about the therapy dog who accompanies my mother's oncologist. A very sweet Golden Retriever. Is that a bad idea? You don't need to respond. I know the answer. Dogs especially, have such soothing powers that nothing else will do.

I had use of a friends Chihuahua puppy in Texas following Hurricane Ike, and saw first hand the healing power of that little dog. All the pain was forgotten while the victims held that dog.

nomadwilly wrote:

However I think dogs in public places is a bad idea*** .... and totally unacceptable in the work place.
Well, you would hate England, then, as dogs are allowed in pubs over there.* One of my favorite visuals is from one of our canal trips when we went to a pub in a tiny village in the Lake District.* It was hill farm sheep country and the pub was the evening hangout for the local farmers.* In addition to the bar there were a bunch of round tables in the room.* When we walked in there were two farmers at this table, three at that one, four at another one, and so on.* Just quietly talking and enjoying a local brew.*
And if there were three farmers at a table, under the table curled up and behaving*themselves perfectly were three border collies.* At the table with four farmers, there were four border collies curled up under the table.* And so on, at every table.

We were staying*on a*local sheep farm at the time*and I asked the farmer why he*took a dog everywhere he went, even to the pub in the evening.* He said that you never know when you might come across someone's sheep that had*gotten out onto the road or somewhere they weren't supposed to be and the only way you*could put them back was with a dog.* So every farmer always had one with him no matter where he went.

As to the work place, it might interest you to know that Amazon.com has a company policy that allows employees to bring their dogs to work as long as they are housebroken and behaved.* I believe Google does, too.**As to the service dogs in training, Boeing is a big supoprter of programs like this as service dogs bring a huge improvement*to the quality of life of invalids, the*elderly, and*mentally ill patients as Carey described above.* When they are young these service-dogs-in-training have to be acclimated to all sorts of environments including offices, elevators, other people, and so on.* Boeing acknowledges the value of service dogs by allowing employees who particiapate in the training programs to bring the dogs to work as part of the dog's training.

And here is a true factoid for you.* Petting a dog will lower your blood pressure significantly.

I've posted this here before I think, but this is our current boating buddy.* Actually, it's his boat in the background.* But he can't reach the wheel so he lets us use the boat, too, if we'll steer.

Attachments

• abi@prevost1.jpg
    abi@prevost1.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 60
Of course Cary I should have said "with obvious exceptions"

Also perhaps you should know I'm allergic to animals and haven't had much exposure.
And my exposure has been largely bad*** ...dogs crap'in all over boat floats, parks, MY yard (not up here though) and other public places not to mention all the times I've walked by a parked car or truck and been instantly attacked by extremely loud barking and snarling**** ....I do find that sort of stuff unacceptable. I always say though that it's prolly a good thing I'm allergic to animals as I'd prolly have a bunch and be a slave to animals. My allergy sets me free it seems.
Yea Yea I see your post. There's too many dogs here in alaska too. You should check on that dog Marin it looks like his head's a bit crooked. And I like to pet animals but I need to go wash my hands very soon and most of the time they tingle a bit.

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 26th of February 2011 12:37:07 AM

Duck Tolling Retriever????? Lovely looking dog.

Old Stone wrote:

"Old Stone,
It is teak. It's not the ceiling though it's the cabin sides in the salon. Willard put a lot of teak trim inside and outside on my boat. I'm quite sure it's factory done and I suspect our boat was dolled up for a boat show. No other Willard has all this extra teak."

Thought it looked like teak, and certainly a factory install. I wondered if anyone would pick up on my calling the cabin sides "ceiling". That is actually the proper name for the cabin sides........'Don't have the foggiest idea why though!
I've often wondered about the term ceiling myself. I've seen it used to refer to planking on the inside of hulls in the past, not necessarily cabin sides but who knows. It does make for a very cozy boat.

nomadwilly wrote:

And my exposure has been largely bad*** ...dogs crap'in all over boat floats, parks, MY yard (not up here though) and other public places...

You should check on that dog Marin it looks like his head's a bit crooked.
Well, I certainly agree with you about the mess dogs can make but I've found that it's almost 100 percent the fault of the owner, not the dog.* Dog crap on the marina docks pisses us off, too, but at the owner.* Irresponsible dog owners shouldn't have dogs.

As to the crooked head, don't you remember the old RCA logo, the dog sitting in front of the Victrola with it's head cocked over with the slogan, "His master's voice" ?* It's how dogs express the concept of "paying attention."

Oh yes Marin I remember the RCA dog and I know dogs are a bit like birds in that they are prone to cock their heads**** .....just jerk'in your chain buddy.
I just met Sally's 2 big black dogs and they were so beautiful I could hardly keep from giving them a big hug screw the allergy. I actually did that once in an open boat in the rain and got no allergy reaction. The dogs were too wet.

C lectric wrote:
Duck Tolling Retriever????? Lovely looking dog.
Given the kind of life Marin's dog lives, I believe we should refer to him as a "Dock Trolling Retriever".*
biggrin.gif

Dog watch.
This is a one stop shop do all pet that can swim . Not sure if it can retrieve a ball.

If you wish to keep thieves off you boat all you *may need to do is cross a 13 ft *Alligator with a Greyhound *it will do 100 mph in the corners .

The clone did not work on Mondays and wanted overtime.

To keep the bad guys of my boat i have been forced to install a non lethal WW11 French booby trap.

The smartest man on earth is not the man who know allot, but the man *who knows where he can find it out.

Donald & Mavis
" Home Alone "

-- Edited by SOMERS on Monday 28th of February 2011 06:45:46 AM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Monday 28th of February 2011 06:04:20 PM

-- Edited by SOMERS on Monday 28th of February 2011 06:09:42 PM

No pets? No kids? Y'all will definitely never want to raft up with us!! :)

Seriously- I love dogs and all but I really wanted to wait- we have our hands full as it is with the kids. But i'll be darned if last summer my wife and daughter run to the grocery store and come home not only with groceries, but a dog as well! Fortunately for her (perhaps unfortunately for me), she is darn cute- too cute to have not them keep her. But alas, she is scared to death of the boat it seems. She is fine as long as the engine is not on but crank up that engine and by golly she shakes like no tomorrow. She sheds like crazy too. Arg. I keep wanting to make her walk the plank but my wife will have nothing of the sort. So- I gotta figure out how to get a dog to not be scared of the motor noises and if my wife will let me I may shave her bald so she won't shed but I have a feeling my wife will not let me do that. She is cute though- here she is on the boat celebrating my wife's birthday with us late last summer.

Attachments

• photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 67
Interesting how threads will evolve.* Certain threads, like this one,*I don't initially*pay any attention to since the subject is of*no interest to me.* Neverthless, when such threads run for several pages, I check the most recent posts to see if the subject has changed to something interesting.* Like this thread, moving from grommet locations to children and pets.

Yeah, *I have a pet grommet.

I call him Spacer.

sd

Real Cheap. *I feed him on holes and little chunks of canvas. duuh

* Sorry The thread was going a little off course anyway. So I figgured WTH.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 28th of February 2011 04:48:06 PM

I don't know. With his new boat almost finished.

After all his hard work.

*Do you think he will get bored?

SD

You guys "kill" me.*<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" class="genmed"><tbody><tr><td width="100"></td><td width="40">
rofl.gif
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Actually, the thread has turned more interesting.* Maybe soon we'll have arguments over whose grommet is the biggest or holds (heels?) the best.* Surely, that's more interesting than anchors.

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 28th of February 2011 05:21:56 PM

Lee Boards.

i checked my lee boards on our boat today *just for you .
The top rail grommets spacing was 4" *and also allowing for the vertical stantions.

The brass grommets were small and laced with thin *parachute cord, *or what ever you *wana call it .

At the bottom of the skirt / lee board *there is a 1.5" *sewn fold to accommodate a 1 " x *3 /16 " *aluminum metal *flat bar that encompassed the lower perimeter.

Several "L" brackets *made from the same stock were used to attach the lower bar to the deck, the bar was curved at the corners.

Our "mesh lee boards" were reinforced with" strata glass" so to avoid the grommets *pulling out , this is requisite.

Special Note :- *Lee boards can offer a *great resistance to the wind and need to be strong.

We went out for an all day cruise to day and got a little sun burnt , it was 72 degrees and flat calm.

Is it legal to fly a kite from a boat ?

Donald & *Mavis.
Just for a moment we were thinking of you all
rofl.gif

SOMERS wrote:

Is it legal to fly a kite from a boat ?
It depends on the government jurisdiction.* For example, in Germany it is prohibited unless expressly permitted while in the U.S. it is permitted ulnless expressly prohibited.

markpierce wrote:SOMERS wrote:Is it legal to fly a kite from a boat ?
It depends on the government jurisdiction.* For example, in Germany it is prohibited unless expressly permitted while in the U.S. it is permitted ulnless expressly prohibited.

I don't know if it is legal or not, but kite flying is listed as "not covered" in our marine insurance...*

I have been working on a sky sail.
*Is that the same a flying a kite?

SD

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom