Wave Slap Noise in Forward Bunks, 42LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Wifey B: Guess my brain froze in the 29 degree weather up here. Must have as I'm actually going fishing tomorrow. Only going down to 38 tonight and it's going to be 73 tomorrow. Well, time for sleep, evening fun and workout complete. :)

Well good luck with the fishing...let us know how it goes!!!

I never noticed it....until all of you MFers started talking about it!!!!

Ha ha ha, Baker, I say exactly that to my patients who come in and complain about tinnitus, (swishing noises in the ears for those who wonder). :D

Actually, in buying a fixer-upper as we did, this was one thing that was a plus. There weren't many of those, but I knew that, and the price was good.
The teak trim in the for'd cabin had become water-stained by leaks, since fixed, but the PO had stripped the cabin out back to the bare hull to re-do the lining, but had not done so when I bought it. I relined the cabin with new teak veneer, but before doing so, anticipating this issue having owned yachts, (sailboats to youse), I placed heavy duty fibreglass insulation batts between the hull and the new lining. Works well - keeps the cabin warmer, minimises condensation, and cuts the lapping down to a nice reassuring level, just enough to remind us we are out, as opposed to at home. If it gets too quiet I get nervous.

Of course this cure would be a bit drastic for most of you with much more shite and briny newer boats, but see...there are some benefits from buying a fixer-upper. :socool:

Last edited:
Well good luck with the fishing...let us know how it goes!!!

Wifey B: Caught one walleye and one bass. Touched neither one. :) It was fun. Our group is out in two boats. One we called the "pros" as they are true fishermen and then we are in the "amateur" boat. I'm sure the other boat will catch more than us. Plus they're staying out for the day. The four of us caught 9 total fish.

Too much fishing bores me, but I like a little. We fish maybe 3-4 times a year. We sailboat about the same.

Now back to the topic at hand, noise and slapping in the V berth.

The first time ever sleeping on a boat was sort of freaky to me. Forget the slapping and stuff, just the whole idea of sleeping with water right beside you, maybe even under it. I had this picture of it gushing in. Every little sound magnified it. Now I sleep far more on a boat than at home. All the sounds are just normal to me now, even the clanging sailboats.

Still by far the most fun place to sleep on a boat is on the flybridge. The moon, the stars, the seas. On anniversaries we've been known to have someone just take us out and drive us around all night as we staying on the bridge and celebrated. You look out on a perfect world and for that one night, everything else is gone. If there are any of you who have never spent a night on your bridge, or deck if you don't have a bridge, with the person you love, try it. You'll like it. And if your mate is no longer, it's not the same but share that beauty sometime with kids and grandkids. Wake up to the most beautiful sunrise that goes on forever. Use an inflatable or a lounge chair or anything to sleep on.

As to noise in the v berth think of what that sound represents, it's a lullaby being sung by the sea, the sea that goes forever, the sea that fulfills dreams. Let it sing and rock you to sleep. :D

Band B,

"As to noise in the v berth think of what that sound represents, it's a lullaby being sung by the sea, the sea that goes forever, the sea that fulfills dreams. Let it sing and rock you to sleep. :D "

I think that sums it up beautifully. I have to remember why we are out there to begin with.

Cheers, Bill

There are damping treatments that can reduce wave slap and tolerate water / condensation, but you need access on the inside from a foot or so above and below the waterline and especially any step, chine, or spray rail. Damping with what is sometimes called "navy tiles"
Some people have had good results using an acoustic carpet underlayment under the mattress.

Spent a nice afternoon yesterday with a fellow TF member and his wife. We agreed on aft cabin quietness at dock and anchor. No solution has yet been found to calm the seas, so an ocean sailors mentality is needed - so long as you are not flipped from the bunk it was a quiet night!

It may help done to use an anchor "bridle". This is a line attached to both fwd cleats with a heavy caribiner clip in the middle. Connect it to the anchor chain about half way to the water and take up some slack. This will allow the bow to track into the waves better when clocking with the wind.

There are damping treatments that can reduce wave slap and tolerate water / condensation, but you need access on the inside from a foot or so above and below the waterline and especially any step, chine, or spray rail. Damping with what is sometimes called "navy tiles"
Some people have had good results using an acoustic carpet underlayment under the mattress.

You would probably be better off using this stuff or one of the other brands similar to it: Dynamat.com | Dynamat Sound Damping | Thermal Solutions

DynaMat is a good product for thin metal panels and is used in the auto industry to make slamming a car door sound like a Mercedes instead of a Pinto.

It should reduce wave slap some, but DynaMat for this application is kiddy pool performance compared to a real Navy tile.

http://www.soundown.com/images/2.3/damping tile 2010 1 A.pdf

Both would require access to the hull at the waterline in the forward berth area.

:socool:

You would probably be better off using this stuff or one of the other brands similar to it: Dynamat.com | Dynamat Sound Damping | Thermal Solutions

I notice it sometimes but after a few minutes it doesn't bother me anymore. It's soothing and helps me to sleep. It's part of boating.

It's probably cheaper to get a marina slip than to soundproof your boat.

DynaMat is a good product for thin metal panels and is used in the auto industry to make slamming a car door sound like a Mercedes instead of a Pinto.

It should reduce wave slap some, but DynaMat for this application is kiddy pool performance compared to a real Navy tile.

http://www.soundown.com/images/2.3/damping tile 2010 1 A.pdf

Both would require access to the hull at the waterline in the forward berth area.

:socool:

Yeah both require access obviously.

The Sound Down stuff is great. It's just that DynaMat is easy to apply and you can double up on it easly as well.

I notice it sometimes but after a few minutes it doesn't bother me anymore. It's soothing and helps me to sleep. It's part of boating.

It's probably cheaper to get a marina slip than to soundproof your boat.

Depends on the boat and material the boat is made off.

On one boat I was on between it being built out of aluminum and the larger strakes/spray knockers it had at the bow, sleeping up forward was at times like trying to sleep in a metal 55 gallon drum with someone banging on it with a baseball bat. :D

I've read where people have had good luck knocking down the waves by wrapping swim noodles around the bow when at anchor.

Another vote for "Woodies"��

Normal noise... I actually enjoy it. Sleep like a baby.

I love that slip slap sound it stops me from counting sheep. Isn't wave slap noises just a part of boating ? Can I suggest buying a RV then you can complain about the trailer park noises :D

No worries, it was over a year ago, actually the first mention of noodles is post #4

How do the noodles work? Like a oil spill boom around a boat to deflect wavelets before they hit the boat?

If you really want to have some slip slap noise... try sleeping in a relitively small (30') lapstrake wood boat. :eek: :facepalm: :nonono:

My marina neighbour recently stayed overnight on the marina on his Dyna 45. Wave slap in the fwd cabin drove him to sleep in the main cabin.

I guess he needs to start looking for an RV then. :D

We have both noticed the slap on American Tugs we've been on, haven't slept on one yet though. Tomco puts sound deadening insulation everywhere though so I'm sure it is muted.

For what it s worth, RV's have their own set of sounds when sleeping. Our Airstream makes lots of noise in the rain for example. We sleep like babies in the Bambi and I'm guessing that the noises on the boat will have the same impact on me that living near a railroad did when I was a kid, didn't even know it was there after a few days.
Bruce

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom