Wave Slap Noise in Forward Bunks, 42LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,
I have a question for you Californian 42LRC owners. Have you noticed excessive noise from wave slap in the forward cabin? On mine it seems that when the wind gets up and starts making chop, the noise in the fwd stateroom is really bad. Have any of you had this problem? I am considering adding some of that accoustic sound mat on the starboard walls where the bunks are.

I am open to all comments and suggestions.

Cheers, Bill

Our Navigator has a lot too, but there really isn't a way to stop it. We used to think it was just the chines that made the sound, but we watched it closely one day and it is just as much on the sides as the bottom. We are on the outside dock and pretty exposed to any SW, W, or NW winds. Sound mat might work some, but I don't know how well it will stick or if it will hold moisture behind it. Moreover, I don't know if you could cover enough to really change anything. Please try it and report back... I have a roll I used for inside the fridge cabinet on our last boat.

TBH, we are just trying to get used to it and we kind of are.

Hi folks,
I have a question for you Californian 42LRC owners. Have you noticed excessive noise from wave slap in the forward cabin? On mine it seems that when the wind gets up and starts making chop, the noise in the fwd stateroom is really bad. Have any of you had this problem? I am considering adding some of that accoustic sound mat on the starboard walls where the bunks are.

l

This has been discussed before. There are some external sound deadeners that you can attach to your Spray rails or chines, but they seem to be more of a PITA to install if you actually use your boat. They look like pool noodles. I have the same issue but just use the noise to lull me to sleep...Just a matter of getting used to it..
I don't think any internal sound deadeners will help..

Last edited:
It drives me nuts. I have resorted to putting the anchor line on one of the stern cleats if the conditions are safe for that. You will recognize me as the only ass-backwards boat in a mooring.

On my boat, the chines trapped air which made the slap louder. Filled in the chines where they crossed the water line. Much better, but there is still some slap noise.

Ted

I've witnessed different degrees of slap noise, in some cases in a larger boat then mine they put in larger chines which trapped more water/noise.

We have it, but after 18 years have grown to like it, actually sleep better with just that little slap.

On a '81 Mainship 34 that I had many years ago the hull was designed with a "step" slightly above the waterline along either side of the bow. The PO told me that it made so much slap noise that he thought that he'd bought a boat that he couldn't sleep on. He filled in the step, probably using epoxy and microballoons, as I recall. Dead quiet after that. Didn't have any spray problems resulting from loss of the step.

I certainly feel your pain. My 34 LRC does the same thing.

Some fill the chine, others line the chine with swim noodles on a long line. I have found the most effective solution for me is a pair of ear plugs. They deaden the lower frequency sound but I can still hear alarms and tones that might alert me to a problem.

We quickly got used to it and once we did found it quite calming almost therapeutic. Different strokes.

Pool noodles and beer! I sleep way better on the boat than anywhere else.

I never noticed it....until all of you MFers started talking about it!!!! Seriously, it never bothered me. I slept better in the V berth of the P29 than any other boat so far. I have had this boat for 3 years and still not totally comfy in the aft cabin....not the boat's fault.

I just sync the slap of the waves to the slap of the...... oh never mind.

Had a boat come into the Marnia last year and hung a line with big pool noodles from forward spring cheat to forward spring cheat. Came along waterline and stopped slapping. So he said. That was one thing I was told about when buying our current aft cabin Jefferson.

I have always found "white noise" to help, whether in a strange hotel room, or on the boat. I can turn the AC unit on "fan" all night. On board we have a small slightly noisy fan. We use it for air movement when warm, or point it at the wall if we just need the noise.

But, I must admit, I think with time, you begin to tune out the squeaking dock lines and slapping waves. But, it does take some time.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the great responses. I should clarify that my wife and I sleep in the aft stateroom, so the noise is just normal stuff. It's my guests that I am concerned with in the forward stateroom. I guess I will by a supply of the disposable ear plugs and hand them out when we have visitors. I think the Californian is louder forward because of a slightly stubby bow. BTW, I too love the sounds and motions of being at anchor, but some people are bothered by that stuff. :confused: I guess it will keep me from having to ask people to leave if they stay too long!

We are heading back in two weeks and my adult sons will be sleeping in the forward cabin. I'm sure it will not be an issue with them.

Cheers, Bill

I love the slap. Puts me to sleep like a baby, and oddly I sleep far better in the v-berth than I do in the big bed in the master cabin aft. Now creaking mooring lines on the other hand, that drives me nuts. Had to get leather sleeves for the lines to stop that annoying noise at the contact points.

We have our own slip at our YC. Never had squeaking lines. This season we do. Same slip, same lines, same cleats. What's going on?

We have our own slip at our YC. Never had squeaking lines. This season we do. Same slip, same lines, same cleats. What's going on?

In our last slip we had dock posts covered in pretty white pvc pipes and caps. I though the squeak was friction on the pvc, so I took off the post cover and re-tied. Still creaked. Tried those leather sleeves coming off the boat cleats, still creaked. Bought a new boat and a new slip, one post creaks now, and wouldn't you know it, of course it's the mooring line closest to the head of the master cabin bed.

In our last slip we had dock posts covered in pretty white pvc pipes and caps. I though the squeak was friction on the pvc, so I took off the post cover and re-tied. Still creaked. Tried those leather sleeves coming off the boat cleats, still creaked. Bought a new boat and a new slip, one post creaks now, and wouldn't you know it, of course it's the mooring line closest to the head of the master cabin bed.

Have you tried rubber snubber or reversing the boat in your slip?

5405980.jpg

Wifey B: If you use the V Berth properly, you'll never notice the waves. :)

Wifey....you're slacking!!! It took you 2....3 days. I was fully expecting you to be all over that one!!!!...:rofl: :rofl: :angel: :) :D :whistling: :hide:

Wifey....you're slacking!!! It took you 2....3 days. I was fully expecting you to be all over that one!!!!...:rofl: :rofl: :angel: :) :D :whistling: :hide:

Wifey B: Guess my brain froze in the 29 degree weather up here. Must have as I'm actually going fishing tomorrow. Only going down to 38 tonight and it's going to be 73 tomorrow. Well, time for sleep, evening fun and workout complete. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom