Old 05-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #54
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by makobuilders View Post
My 40 year old cruiser with 6-71s had only some acoustic tiles on the engine room liner and carpet in the saloon. Even in the pilothouse I have to admit that I suffered from noise fatigue on long 5-7 day cruises.
The effect of noise on fatigue is something that I had not considered until a few years ago when making a road trip in my 350Z. I have several exhausts for the car and at the time had a race exhaust that wouldn't break the newer 100db noise limit for SCCA Autocross. It is still pretty noisy and the 350Z has a lot of interior road noise as well depending on road conditions. I found that using ear plugs made a huge difference in fatigue level on a 12 hour road trip. I would bet the same is true for a 6 hour run in a boat when the noise levels are higher.

One of the things that sold me on my new boat was how quiet it was during the sea trial. Even last weekend when a mechanic reinstalled my HX and aftercooler, he and I were chatting in the saloon with the engine running at 1300 rpm with all the engine room hatches open. The QSB is pretty quiet.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote