View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 07:10 AM   #11
Werner

City: Pacific Northwest (BC)
Vessel Name: Heaven Sent
Vessel Model: MMC Defever 41
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, we are newbies. I personally have no opinions on boats built in different regions as I have no knowledge other than what I read on the subject. We all have to start somewhere, and these forums are great for that.

The reason I mentioned the quality in regards to the Taiwan manufactured boats is due to a marine surveyors on-line blog I found; that describes what to look for in your own survey of the boat prior to calling a professional survey - and although he doesn't name boats he paints the taiwan boats with a wide brush as ones to avoid. But for the money I have, they will likely be what I turn to.

At this time I am spending much more time than I like in front of this computer doing research, which can be give quite contradictory advice. Gets the brain spinning for sure. The surveyor pointed out by boatpoker certainly seems to give some great advice for what to look out for. I imagine boat owners or brokers must cringe when a person arrives with such a list though. I wonder what happens when you squeeze one of those hoses as he suggests and it comes apart as he shows in one of his photos? Especially a through hull hose....

In regards to the CML by C&C as mentioned above, built very solid - but for a liveaboard we want something a bit more comfy. Like the C&C, which many would not have heard of, I am wondering if anyone has heard of another Canadian made boat from Garren Blakely. I cant seem to find anything on line about the build quality of the boats but I imagine that is because they are custom made and not a production boat. Any advice on going with relatively small boatyard custom built boats?
Werner is offline   Reply With Quote