Window shades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wwestman

Vessel Name
Excellent Adventure
Vessel Make
1995 Jefferson Ker Shine 45
We are in the process of buying a 1995 45 foot Hershine - Jefferson CPMY.

Not withstanding all the obvious things to look for we have noticed that the three forward windows (which are quite large) have no covers or blinds. The center one is an even rectangle but the two outer ones are canted (?) to follow the slope of the deck. Putting covers on the outside is the easy way to get shade but it is hard to adjust to let some in, it is either everything or nothing.

Has anyone come up with a system to install blinds on the forward salon windows that works? Blinds that could be adjusted inside would be ideal but the two windows that are at an angle seem to be out of the norm for blinds.

Has anyone come up with a system to install blinds on the forward salon windows that works? Blinds that could be adjusted inside would be ideal but the two windows that are at an angle seem to be out of the norm for blinds.

Blind companies that specialize in boat blinds should be able to take care of it.

At least here in FLL there are a number of companies that do that kind of work.

In fact I'm having blinds like you discribe made for the boat I run even now.

Last edited:
I'd say it depends on the boat configuration. We had beautiful Roman blinds all around our salon, which had the lower helm at the front, but it never occurred to us to put shades on the forward windows. The boat had a lot of freeboard, and truth be told we only lowered the blinds when we were docked with someone on a boat next door to us. We lived aboard and cruised full time for several years.

Pictures would help!

We are in the process of buying a 1995 45 foot Hershine - Jefferson CPMY.

Have you considered external mesh for sunscreen...block a lot of light & heat but avoids the closed in feel. If it has solid external adding mesh is easy & would give you options re mix & match.

Mesh available in different densities depending on amt of blocking& privacy vs visibility out.

Many RV shade co will create fitted shades that block most light and heat yet allow mosest visibility at the same time.

Outside is better than inside as the heat absorbed is not in the cabin.

We have out side sun screen we leave on year around. Put on or take off in minutes. For the large salon side windows we have heavy thermal curtains to keep in the heat in the winter and heat out in the summer.

Sun shade screens work well however they are virtually transparent to outside dock walkers if the interior lights are on at night.

We have mesh snap on covers for the outside front windows. In her slip the boat faces the hot sun most of the day so that still lets in lots of heat. I just pop one of those cloth with wire frame twist fold car windshield shades on the inside of each window, silver side facing outside. It works fine and they fold up well for storage. At night if at a dock they go back in for privacy.
We have the usual cloth shades on tracks for all side windows.

Last edited:
For the liveaboard folks that see real winter , Google "warm shades" .

These mount inside and when down are about 1 inch thick with side (usually magnetic) seals to cover glass areas .

Blind companies that specialize in boat blinds should be able to take care of it.

At least here in FLL there are a number of companies that do that kind of work.

In fact I'm having blinds like you discribe made for the boat I run even now.
I've just read through the posts and this is the only one that seems to address the original post.

Contact some companies that do blind work on boas and get their suggestions and prices. This is what they do and your boat won't be the first time they have seen this configuration.

Thanks everyone. Some good ideas and leads.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom