That's where my money goes . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44
Winter is on the way out up here and I finally started back on the DC upgrades today. Eight new AGMs (which I bought a year ago, but haven't hooked up yet), Balmar smart regulators, Centerfielder and Duo Charge, 100-amp alternators, new switches, fuses, buses and wire. I like this Blue Sea gear, but they don't exactly give it away, do they?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 111
That's a nice stock of supplies for a great upgrade. That's a lot of switches!

8 new AGM's for your house bank? What size?

Have you drawn out your electrical system schematic to work through all the various charging and supply issues/failures? Does Stella Maris have a generator?

Thanks, Al. They're 6-volt J305 floor machine batteries (312 AH per pair). I'm working with an ABYC systems designer in Annapolis. (I'll also have an electrician double-check my work.) He spec'd remote battery switches for both banks (house and single battery start bank). They're really cool since virtually all the circuits can be shut down at the source from the saloon in an emergency without having to enter the ER. Then there's an on/off switch for each starter circuit (2 mains and the genset), one to isolate the inverter and one to parallel the start bank with the house bank. (Whew!). Here's the basic design I'm working from, which is not complete.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 218
To resurrect an old term, that is bitchin'! One helluva house bank, Angie! :hide:

'dem are some tall batteries. My boat's vertically challenged in the battery storage department. I could do it, but it'd cost me in limited head space.

As it is, I come home with head cuts that I can't explain. I don't want to make it worse on myself.

Last edited:
To resurrect an old term, that is bitchin'! One helluva house bank, Angie! :hide:

'dem are some tall batteries. My boat's vertically challenged in the battery storage department. I could do it, but it'd cost me in limited head space.

As it is, I come home with head cuts that I can't explain. I don't want to make it worse on myself.

Heh, even with "near stand up head room" I still mutilate myself most weekends. The folks I work with don't bother to ask anymore how I got the cuts and bruises. I actually went with the 305s because they're a few inches shorter than L16s. I needed the backsplash for gear . . . this is as far as I got today. Things are just tacked in and the fuse block still in packaging represents a shunt.

What a pleasure to be able to work in such a nice, light, airy, and CLEAN ER like that, not to mention being able to get all that good gear together at the one time.

Angus, surprised you aren't putting in a separate standalone battery for the genset? I have always seen that as a big power backup should things go awry.

Angus, surprised you aren't putting in a separate standalone battery for the genset? I have always seen that as a big power backup should things go awry.

My dedicated genset battery is right next to the genset. In fact it is an 8 D! Speak of overkill. With a lid on the battery box it becomes a nice ER seat.

Menzies, a lot of folks I consulted are going to this configuration. (The start bank is an 8D.) With the parallel circuit, the house bank becomes the backup for both the mains and the genset. Plus I own a pair of jumper cables. :D

Last edited:
My dedicated genset battery is right next to the genset. In fact it is an 8 D! Speak of overkill. With a lid on the battery box it becomes a nice ER seat.

Exactly the setup I've got. Then again, we have a designer in common. Love that seat back amidst all the hardware . . . it completes the picture of a man-cave.

Wow, nice collection of parts. If you used your credit card to buy em, you should get enough miles for a free flight :dance:

Love those Defever engine rooms. I got to look at one on a 44 at the boat show last week and fell in love. I think I can use a smaller setup like yours on my boat. Thanks so much for sharing your diagram!

Kevin

Angus, one thing I noticed was that your windlass doesn't show on your diagram. My boat has a dedicated windlass battery. How is yours set up? Thanks.

Kevin

Angus, one thing I noticed was that your windlass doesn't show on your diagram. My boat has a dedicated windlass battery. How is yours set up? Thanks.

Kevin

Thanks, Kevin. That ER has definitely spoiled me. I'm only 6'1" and my hats off to taller guys who can work in some of the spaces I've seen. I'd need two elbows on each arm. :D

The windlass is powered by the house bank. There's a catastrophic fuse in that stack of fuses near the batteries and a breaker on the main panel. It was actually powered by the house bank in its original config and worked well.

Hopefully this works, this is the ER a lot of us probably have to work in. My battery box in between the engines. I would have a tough time finding space in there for a big house bank. Probably have to find a more out of the way place to put it. I'm 6'4" and not a slim guy anymore so boat yoga is my new pass time. lol.

Attachments

• 003 (2) - Copy.JPG
    003 (2) - Copy.JPG
    43.2 KB · Views: 493
  • Boat yoga - Copy.JPG
    Boat yoga - Copy.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 487
  • Port&Strb Eng Detailed - Copy.JPG
    Port&Strb Eng Detailed - Copy.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 498
Last edited:
Great pics and some nice moves, Swede! I call that Yacht Yoga!

Will you be hooking up the field kill switch on the engine selecting rotary?

Kevin

Swede

My windlass too is powered from house bank. As with many, we choose to run genset when retrieving anchor. The inverter charger keeps the battery draw down to minimal by doing that. Otherwise the smallish on engine alternators are working overtime to get the house bank recharged.

Swede, I feel your pain. My back and knees don't bend like they used to, let alone straighten up afterwards.

Angus. Looks good. The Blue Seas switches are good stuff. I have the remote switches in the helm that actuate the switches in the ER.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1459348329.213268.jpg

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Angus. Looks good. The Blue Seas switches are good stuff. I have the remote switches in the helm that actuate the switches in the ER.

View attachment 50199

Jim

Nice, Jim! What's the middle one for? Genset?

That's the automatic charging relay. Part #7622.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/76...rging_Relay_with_Manual_Control_-_12V_DC_500A

The PO left it on "Auto", as he had T-105's for the house and starter bank. I don't use it in that configuration anymore and typically leave it in the "off" position, as I have a separate charter for my Group 24 starter batteries. I use a battery isolator from Mastervolt to charge house, gen, and starter banks whilst on the run.

These are the remote switches for the helm station.

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1459382513.151944.jpg

Jim

Last edited:
Angus, I've downloaded your diagram for further study. I have, as yet, no clue how Revel is wired, except to say it's not suitable. I cannot, I don't think, switch around the various battery banks to compensate for a discharged engine start battery. I don't yet know whether there are adequate fuses to protect all those long runs of battery cable.

So little time; so much to learn.

So little time; so much to learn.

Amen to that. I found it very much worth the money to have an ABYC-certified electrician look over my system and draw up a plan. Good luck on your project.

Progress is coming slowly, due mostly to work commitments and a steep learning curve. I reconfigured the placement of components near the house/inverter bank into a better alignment and use of space. Finding space to make all of this new gear fit into an as-built engine room is one of the biggest challenges. (For the sharp-eyed, the fuel sight tube on the right will be removed and Tank Tenders or some equivalent installed for both saddle tanks.)

All of the engine/genset switching is on the opposite side. (Cables aren't protected or secured yet.)

Another key takeaway is how marine electricians earn the money they make. Wrestling 4/0 and 2/0 cable isn't for the timid!

Looks very professional, Angus. Nice work! Wish mine looked like that!

Are those auto resetting breakers on the left?

WRT my setup, I can set my ACR to "auto" so that the batteries are combined only when charging and are automatically disconnected when there is no charging source and the voltage starts to drop.

Jim

WRT my setup, I can set my ACR to "auto" so that the batteries are combined only when charging and are automatically disconnected when there is no charging source and the voltage starts to drop.

Jim

I was talking about the 3 small silver cans with 2 terminals on the left next the left most terminal blocks. Are those three components self resetting breakers?

Back
Top Bottom