Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arent the anchor snubbers the ones that are supposed to be tight and the chain itself with the slack?

That's typical w all chain out. Fishing boats in Alaska usually have the chain rode straight up and down .. vertical. Even if the anchor is 50' or even much more horizontally away from the boat.
It's testament to the small short swinging radius of a chain rode.
But this guy may have taken up his chain slack a bit for whatever reason. All he needs to is slack off a bit on the chain and the bridal will come into tension to insure the boat will not swing but remain straight into the wind. If he needs snuber action considerable chain and bridal line will need to be payed out so the bridal/snubber will put 50' or more nylon line in tension to act as a shock absorber.
That's my take on it.

Interesting means different things to different people. Here is an older local tug that I remember holding up a dock on Lake Union in Seattle when I was growing up on a houseboat there in the 50's and 60's. Belonged to Dunlap Towing in LaConner. Always thought she was pretty homely.

Attachments

• IMG_20160508_0001.jpg
    IMG_20160508_0001.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 266
Interesting means different things to different people. Here is an older local tug that I remember holding up a dock on Lake Union in Seattle when I was growing up on a houseboat there in the 50's and 60's. Belonged to Dunlap Towing in LaConner. Always thought she was pretty homely.

Looks like she's taking on water. :eek:

The 69' Ora Elwell was built in 1925 at Sedro Woolley as a shallow draft steam sternwheeler, with 76 indicated HP. She operated on the Skagit River. At some point she was converted to a twin engine towboat, as seen in the photo above. She had a pair of 135 HP Atlas diesels driving props in tunnels.

If form follows function then it's more attractive with that background.

Keith

If storm waves follow her ass too hard she could become a fish habitat. Front breakers would also make her want to play with the fishies. I guess if her decks were water tight she could take some bad weather.

Tugs are cool, was watching 3 of them hooking up to a log boom on the Fraser last week, to transport up to a saw mill.

Attachments

• tugs 22.jpg
    tugs 22.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 205
Extra large "oxygen tent".

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462989056.596059.jpg

Not sure I've ever seen one that big. ?

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462988911.506064.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462988911.506064.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 225
Well, it's time to bring this one out again. This one is BYOO (bring you own oxygen).

Attachments

• Moonstruck with 2 stories.jpg
    Moonstruck with 2 stories.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 252
Don beat me to it. Believe it is owned by someone with a severe sunlight allergy that decided screw it, he was not giving up boating.

Well, it's time to bring this one out again. This one is BYOO (bring you own oxygen).

Well! It would appear I just got out-Whataburgered ! (Or is that just a Texas thang?)

?

Thanks TAD for the great background on the Ora Elwell.

Living on the Skagit River gets me kinda close. And it sure does qualify as an interesting boat. Many here are not interesting at all .. just freaks. But some extremes (like the oxygen tents above) have merit. It's been a bit difficult here lately to find "interesting" threads ... or even good titles.

Last edited:
Pulled into our slip today in New Orleans and found this steam powered woody, "interesting"

IMG_1108.jpg

A canon! I believe the other thingy magigies are relieve valves
IMG_1110.jpg

A couple steam whistles
IMG_1111.jpg

The helm, no 'normal' controls, just two large levers
IMG_1114.jpg

Yup, something a little different
IMG_1112.jpg

I believe that cannon and the various thingamajiggies are actually additional steam whistles. I bet that thing makes a glorious racket.

I believe that cannon and the various thingamajiggies are actually additional steam whistles. I bet that thing makes a glorious racket.

Wayfarer, you are correct. I went and counted 7 pull handles with cables running through the roof. Yep I bet you can hear him coming if he is so inclined.

dimer2,
This is interesting beyond what a person could dream up. "Very interesting" dosn't even measure up. I've seen it before though here on the forum. Unless she's very well hidden coming up on TF should be a monthly event.

The giveaway is the vented or louvered topsides aft. What a fun boat she would be to be aboard. Thanks for posting this very interesting boat.

That steam boat was there last year when we went through Nola. Interesting indeed!

Blue, I thought you were going around Nola on the outside ??

Swell...an 80' converted tug built in 1910 that takes people on cruises along BC's coast and up into Alaska (Maple Leaf Adventures) came into Kitimat today and took a significant portion of our diesel supply.

They also have a 90' schooner that calls into to Kitimat as well. Nice to see they are bringing people in to see how amazing the channels, inlets, lagoons, rivers, and lakes are that extend off Douglas Channel.

Swell, 88-foot Converted, Classic Tag

Attachments

• Swell Conv Tug #1.jpg
    Swell Conv Tug #1.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 125
  • Swell Conv Tug #2.jpg
    Swell Conv Tug #2.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 103
  • Swell Conv Tug #3.jpg
    Swell Conv Tug #3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Swell Conv Tug #4.jpg
    Swell Conv Tug #4.jpg
    160.8 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
wow.

Gabriele Teruzzi's Shaddai superyacht concept features an elevated master cabin | Daily Mail Online

OK, that was a bit of a shock, after all the classics above it.

Here's the odd part. My first reaction was more like "interesting" than "hideous". Intellectually, I know it's hideous. Maybe it's just the geek in me admiring what they can do with modern materials.

Seems like that elevated master cabin would be a great place to entertain, or even relax at the end of the day. But I don't think I'd want to sleep there!

I can only imagine the effect of any roll that far up.

Keith

I can only imagine the effect of any roll that far up.

Keith

Might depend on who you're with up there and what you might be doing? :D

"It ain't the meat it's da motion that makes my baby wanta rock... It ain't the meat it's da motion... it's the one that jumps on the TOP!!!!" :thumb:

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

http://tinyurl.com/h6d34f9

Back
Top Bottom