R U a Lifetime or seasonal boater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
50 years doses count. Heck Don, you've spent more time boating then most people do working.

That was a low blow, Larry. Don't tell my son that's running the business.:D

Not sure Don...

There is definitely a mind twist when there's nothing ashore but say a car.....

Not saying liveaboards are better or more experienced boaters...but chances are they understand their electrical and plumbing systems pretty well if they have been doing it for many years...,as these systems always seem to quit in the middle of the night or rainstorm.....:D

Some non liveaboards do cruise enough and long enough to understand many of the issues....but that "no place to go" feeling is definitely a strong one.

The reason I tell these tales is because it got me to thinking....when will I know it is time to hang it up??? I think I will do it until I am physically unable.

That's pretty much the answer. You'll not really know, you'll just have to. I think it will be a lot like an athlete. Great basketball players can't face the thought of it being time. Their bodies tell them. Great hitters in baseball, the batting averages tell them. We don't easily part with those activities we love so much. We don't do it when it's time we should. We do it sometime later when we just don't really have a choice.

Yea, I think you're right. I'll quit when I don't have a choice...maybe.

I'm coming up on 65 years of being a boater. All power boats except one sailboat when I was a teenager. Now I have 3 boats and no plans to add or delete any in the near future.

I hope to quit boating right after they bury me and I hope that ain't any time soon .

I'm coming up on 65 years of being a boater. All power boats except one sailboat when I was a teenager. Now I have 3 boats and no plans to add or delete any in the near future.

I hope to quit boating right after they bury me and I hope that ain't any time soon .

Best one yet! :thumb:

Responses

I just completed reading all the great posts and feel good that I'm not alone planning (and praying) I can do the boating "thing" until its time to go. The amount of time spent aboard is not as important to me as is knowing we have the boat to use whenever the time is right. Having lived aboard (part time, 3 -4 days a week, over five years) we know we are not cut out as full time live aboard but we sure are happier when we are aboard. In a perfect world after retirement I would like to see us aboard for a month or two then return home for month before starting it all over again.

Thanks to everyone for your posts.

John T

I guess by that note then I'll quit right after they take my ashes and scatter them at sea.

I always considered myself a life long boater, but a cancer diagnosis three months ago looks like it is going to change that.

I'm 76 now and my attitude toward trawlering is changing. Loosing interest as well as ability.

I quit flying after 20 yrs ... just got boring. Enough to bail at least. Humming along at 3000' guiding the bird along w gentle nuges on the stick .. looking to the sides at the clouds and down at the farm fields. The magic super rewarding flights came to be fery few. Just not enough reason to fly on.

Re this thread most all the feelings and views will change a lot quickly or slowly depending on the person. At 55 most of us that have a long history of boating will think there is no end in sight. But there is.

TDunn,
Terrible ......... But you may not know just how bad it is at this point. I know quite a few people that do well for quite a few years .. even 15 or more. Most all have a very positive attitude.

Last edited:
I always considered myself a life long boater, but a cancer diagnosis three months ago looks like it is going to change that.

Very sorry to hear that. Medical events are what will stop most of us. Wish the best in treatment.

The news none of us wants to get...hope your path through this is as uncomplicated as possible.

Thanks for the kind words. At this point the biggest problem is that medical costs have siphoned away a good deal of the boating budget. We shall see what happens, but this may be my last year on the water.

We bought Bliss a year after beating the big C into remission. You can beat its ass too. Sold the boat and looking for the next big thing. Boating is optional, a life well lived chasing your passions is not. You're in my prayers TDunn.

Hang in there TDunn, fought that bastard off five years ago and still boating. They tell you its like eating an elephant--one bite at a time. All our prayers Bruce & Lorna

Always considered myself a lifer. We've been planning on retiring early and cruising full time for years. Had planned on going all the way around. As I get somewhat older the world seems a bit larger thou. Who knows.

As I get older the world seems a bit scarier.

TD

I'm very sorry to hear of your unfortunate circumstance. You have my prayers and positive energy toward you. Great cures are in play these days. Best luck!!! Humor is also a great healer. Keep a stiff upper lip and a gleam of joy in your eyes. Hopefully this will pass for healthful years to come.

Successful regards,

Art

TD, I'm sorry to hear that. Hope all the best for you and your family.

TDunn , sorry the hear that news . Our thoughts and prayers are with you .

How is that saying, it's better to have love and lost it then never loved at all?
My mom had big dreams of buying a sailboat and sailing around for years! They (Mom and husband) went so far as to charter boats they liked and spend time behind the wheel but never actually did it. Now their health and age have crept up on them and they will never do it. If they did, even for a season they would have wonderful memories and stories to tell.

Dang, T. I didn't read the whole thread. Sorry to hear about your situation. Prayers sent

Since we live on the eagle, we would try to leave the dock more often. We plan on being a live a board until we are not capable any more. The reason we are land yatching is we still can. If we do move on land we will rent or assistance living. Live is easier without a lot of stuff. :flowers:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom