It is time for a new boat!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are these boats really that noisy??? I travel at 17 knots. I can barely hear the engines....just enough to manually sync them. I would say traveling at planing speeds does have its limit. I could easily do 12....14 hour days at 6.5 knots. You just don't have to pay that much attention so your mental awareness is not taxed as heavily. At higher speeds you have to pay attention. **** can go wrong...equipment can get destroyed...and people can get hurt. So you end up feeling tired at about the 6 hour point. In the end, I travel the same distance at 17 knots as I did at 7. I just do it more quickly and I sleep in and "take my time".

As to the noise, I think it varies widely by boat and engine combination. Some might surprise as well. I have found sound to be a real factor in enjoyment and the most overlooked attribute at time of purchase. Sometimes you can do some additional soundproofing. When we were looking, we were shocked at some of the differences and how loud some boats that you didn't expect to be were. Also, the huge variations in engines with the worst being CAT.

As to traveling at the higher speed, you just made our point of speed. Ultimately, we arrive sooner and less tired. As to the effort and attention required at higher speed, we travel outside most of our long runs so it's not really a factor. Also, it's a matter of what one is use to. Now, traveling at speed in the ICW does have all the factors you described. The other side though is traveling at 7 knots tends to lull some to sleep (not literally) and into mistakes of inattention.

Now, we're in the Erie canal at the moment and not so into speed but still comfortable at a bit faster. (We're in one of the last sections without a limit). Still it was fun getting in the RIB yesterday and sightseeing then coming back from our far point at 40 knots.

Last edited:
Decision Process

Bruce, I just discovered this thread and believe we are similar journeys though we may be slightly ahead of you in that we selected the boat that fits our needs and started the build process. Others have already provided some great points including taking your time and do your research.

I do not wish to influence your decision (only you and your family know which boat is best for your future use) but thought you may enjoy reading our thread and the decision process we used to select our next boat. Like you we also struggled with changing course by moving from one style of boat to another. Its not an easy decision and takes a little soul searching to get it right.

Our story and "decision process" is posted on TF under Custom builds / Retro-fits, Contract Signed New build underway. Best of luck with your search and feel free to contact me directly if you should have any questions.

John T.
Nordhavn 4050, 4061, 3522 - Former Owner
Helmsman 38E - Under construction

Bruce

Stick to your guns. Whether AT or NT, your desire for the no strain 12-14 or so knot cruise speed capability is not supplied by other vessels being mentioned. A trip to the LaConnor and Burlington factories will answer a lot of questions.

I have one, but if you can stay away from Chinese built you are not hurting yourself. And there is no Chinese built tug design vessel that can compete with the AT/NT cruise speed that I am aware of. The resale on ATs and NTs is exceptional, for a boat that is.

Bruce

Stick to your guns. Whether AT or NT, your desire for the no strain 12-14 or so knot cruise speed capability is not supplied by other vessels being mentioned. A trip to the LaConnor and Burlington factories will answer a lot of questions.

I have one, but if you can stay away from Chinese built you are not hurting yourself. And there is no Chinese built tug design vessel that can compete with the AT/NT cruise speed that I am aware of. The resale on ATs and NTs is exceptional, for a boat that is.
Sunchaser, with that kind of sage advice, you must be a centenarian.
:thumb::thumb:

Bruce, I just discovered this thread and believe we are similar journeys though we may be slightly ahead of you in that we selected the boat that fits our needs and started the build process. Others have already provided some great points including taking your time and do your research.

I do not wish to influence your decision (only you and your family know which boat is best for your future use) but thought you may enjoy reading our thread and the decision process we used to select our next boat. Like you we also struggled with changing course by moving from one style of boat to another. Its not an easy decision and takes a little soul searching to get it right.

Our story and "decision process" is posted on TF under Custom builds / Retro-fits, Contract Signed New build underway. Best of luck with your search and feel free to contact me directly if you should have any questions.

John T.
Nordhavn 4050, 4061, 3522 - Former Owner
Helmsman 38E - Under construction

John,
Someone here suggested that I read that thread earlier and I've been plugging away at it. Yes there are parallels between us that I keep finding as I read!
Thanks for the offer of direct contact. I believe I may do exactly that, especially as we zero in on features and options. I promise that I will do my best not to be a bother!
Thanks again,
Bruce

Looking forward to your fussy list on the AT.
I keep asking myself; "how come so few have command bridges?"

Hawg, if by command bridges you mean flybridge on top, maybe its because flybridges on a boat already with a pilothouse, which all the tugs essentially have, looks like an unnecessary added:hide:-on pimple on a pumpkin..?

One of the joys of a six-knot boat is that one hardly ever needs to slow down except in the marina.

Hawg, if by command bridges you mean flybridge on top, maybe its because flybridges on a boat already with a pilothouse, which all the tugs essentially have, looks like an unnecessary added:hide:-on pimple on a pumpkin..?

I'm beginning to see the obvious...not everyone agrees on this one.
Well, at least my wife and I are in 100% agreement on this one, no arguing between us!

Bruce

One of the joys of a six-knot boat is that one hardly ever needs to slow down except in the marina.

If we liked traveling at 6 knots we'd stay with our sailboat! At least that has a nifty roll stabilizer built in!

No kidding, my in laws have been cruising on a Willard 40 for the past 12 years or so and although it is a lovely boat that they adore, it is not what we want...

Can't wait to get out on the 395 this Wednesday!

Counting the days, Bruce

Lots FBs on NTs that look very nice and more importantly are great viewpoints. The AT fly bridge looks fine to me as well. On an 80 +F day the FB is the place to be when cruising or socializing at anchor. On our enclosed FB 50F and sun is pretty nice too. Bruce spent many years on a sail boat, he won't mind a little wind in his face.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom