Opencpn/gps issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am also wondering if maybe I have a faulty BU353 as this is the only element that has not been changed I think I will purchase a new GPS and see if that has a result.
I have throughly read Polar View data and am sure all is well there, the download of openCPN is very simple and hard to make a mistake there, have been using it for year and never previously had a problem. Have used 7,8,10 forums but no help there yet will keep you all posted I really appreciate all the help

I am also wondering if maybe I have a faulty BU353 as this is the only element that has not been changed I think I will purchase a new GPS and see if that has a result.
I have throughly read Polar View data and am sure all is well there, the download of openCPN is very simple and hard to make a mistake there, have been using it for year and never previously had a problem. Have used 7,8,10 forums but no help there yet will keep you all posted I really appreciate all the help

I don't know if you already tried the following;

type in the Windows prompt devmgmt.msc [ENTER] to open the Device Manager.
Locate your GPS Mouse.
Right click on it and select Driver.
Settings should be: 4800 bits, 8 data bits, None parity, 1 stop bit, and None for Flow Control

next go to the OpenCPN Menu select.. [Options/Connections/Add Connection/Serial/Data Port] now select the COM Port Number as found in the Device Manager.
Click Okay
Select Auto follow to center your boat on the Map.

To check if OpenCPN receives the NMEA data from the GPS mouse, go to [Options/Connections/Show/NMEA Debug Window]

Hope this helps you get on the road..

Last edited:
One query I do have what should I see in the NMEA Debug Window to make sure I am interpreting it correctly

One query I do have what should I see in the NMEA Debug Window to make sure I am interpreting it correctly

I addition to the Debug window (1st pic), in the upper right hand corner of your display (2nd pic), you should see an indictor of your GPS signal strength if OpenCpn is recognizes/sees your GPS.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    170.9 KB · Views: 60
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 65
Well I have pretty well given up downloaded and uninstalled both openCPN and BU many times with same result, GPS operating perfectly producing satellite location and data stream position given (L&L) spot on for position of GPS uninstalled OS (windows 10) in case original install having corrupted it's self downloaded OpenCPN V4 in case the error was in V4.2 did the whole process again on a brand new out of the box note book and still I am no further ahead.
Any advise on another system I should try I guess I gotta go the "pay way" tried downloading polarview however could not get NZ charts to load into it.

Try "Total Uninstall" Uninstall utility for Windows | Total Uninstall software with easy

When using the supplied uninstall in Windows there are always folders with traces of stuff left behind. Reinstalling sometimes doesn't overwrite those traces left behind. Total Uninstall follows the software install trail and then removes everything, folders and contents. It has worked for me in the past when I had problems.

Hi Larry M while I am seeing data produced in my GPS (BU353) start up window it does not appear in the openCPN debug window in addition I am not seeing any signal in the main window (charts) at the top right hand corner this stays red and static Pffft!!!!

Hi Larry M while I am seeing data produced in my GPS (BU353) start up window it does not appear in the openCPN debug window in addition I am not seeing any signal in the main window (charts) at the top right hand corner this stays red and static Pffft!!!!

Someting wrong with your GPS Driver.... first of all you don't need the driver you received with the GPS Mouse. If you installed it, remove it again. Reboot your Laptop and then plugin in your GPS Mouse, Windows will install the Generic driver.. thats okay.

Repeat the steps below and rememer on which COM port Windows installed your GPS Driver.. If neccesery adjust the settings...

===========================

type in the Windows prompt devmgmt.msc [ENTER] to open the Device Manager.
Locate your GPS Mouse.
Right click on it and select Driver.
Settings should be: 4800 bits, 8 data bits, None parity, 1 stop bit, and None for Flow Control

next go to the OpenCPN Menu select.. [Options/Connections/Add Connection/Serial/Data Port] now select the COM Port Number as found in the Device Manager.
Click Okay
Select Auto follow to center your boat on the Map.

To check if OpenCPN receives the NMEA data from the GPS mouse, go to [Options/Connections/Show/NMEA Debug Window]

Well previously I was vexed now I can't put into print what I am
Purchased a brand new GLONASS GPS downloaded it and when to GPS Info, data rolling and position correct, when I open either openCPN or Polar view nuttin/nada/zilch!!!
I am wondering if it is a soft ware/programming problem however the same result is on both laptops which independently loaded GPS/Nav Programmes and charts
Theres gotta be an answer but I am damed if I can find it

I have read this post front start to finish again to check I have tried all advise given currently if in openCPN program my charts are fine when I open Connections and tab add connections I cannot seem to do so Data Connection is empty and I cannot add input I cannot get it to show COMPORT. Any thoughts??

Well previously I was vexed now I can't put into print what I am
Purchased a brand new GLONASS GPS downloaded it and when to GPS Info, data rolling and position correct, when I open either openCPN or Polar view nuttin/nada/zilch!!!
I am wondering if it is a soft ware/programming problem however the same result is on both laptops which independently loaded GPS/Nav Programmes and charts
Theres gotta be an answer but I am damed if I can find it

Another GPS, another laptop, another OS, another NAV program and no GPS data gets to the NAV programs.
Odd very odd.
Could you somehow have malware-virus afflicting both PC?
Malware does do odd things unexpected things.
MalwareBytes has some good programs, including combofix, which I have run multiple times and it has fixed the PC issues.

If that antivirus remover fails to help, why not give up on windows for the moment, try linux either mint or ubuntu, install opencpn and see if it works. Linux will dual boot, so you will not loose access to windows and you get to learn a news os, free except for your time.

I use the gnome desktop in ubuntu and on the boat run linux mint with cinnamon desktop.

Last edited:
I have read this post front start to finish again to check I have tried all advise given currently if in openCPN program my charts are fine when I open Connections and tab add connections I cannot seem to do so Data Connection is empty and I cannot add input I cannot get it to show COMPORT. Any thoughts??

Very odd this problem. Although maybe not an answer to your problem but i advice you to subscribe on the Cruisers & Sailing Forums and report this problem on the OpenCPN - Cruisers & Sailing Forums sub-board, locate the user "Rooiedirk" sent him a PM, with him you can refer to me as "CeesH"...

Last edited:
Phil: How about finding someone in Russell who's using OpenCPN and have them take a look at your set up? It's probably something simple. If nothing else, you could compare your settings to theirs.

I don't know the details, but with some versions of windows the operating system looks for data on ports, and if there is any, it grabs the port thinking it's a mouse. I've struggled with this and it's quite annoying. There are a variety of solutions on the web, but none have worked for me.

What I finally found does work is to boot up with the GPS disconnected, then start your program. Open to com port, again with the GPS disconnected. Once your program has the com port open, then plug in the GPS. Because the app already has the port open, windows won't grab it.

Some devices won't create the COM port until the USB device is plugged in, which will of course prevent opening the port in advance. But give this a try.

FWIW, XP doesn't have this problem, but I have definitely run into it on Windows 7. I haven't tried Windows 8 or later, and will continue to do all I can to avoid them. Windows is such a freaking time sink, as you are finding. It's a net negative on world productivity.

OK this maybe my last try then I am taking up marbles!!!!!!!!!
On the new Lenovo note book I have uninstalled everything openCPN, prolific driver for BU353 GPS,charts and anything else on programmes and downloads in my system that I felt maybe interfering (being a new computer very little in there.
I have reinstalled openCPN as per installation instructions to the word, I have reinstalled
BU353 GPS using driver on disc and windows would not do it, reinstalled charts.
On epening GPSinfo panel I am getting excellent data flow and the position shown is exactly correct for my location.
On opening openCPN with the chart up showing my location thwre is no activity in the GPS pane top right of screen
On opening NMEA Debug window nothing showing ie no data flow
When highlighting Add Connections and nominate serial hit OK and again nothing
Conclusions GPS is functioning correctly
OpenCPN appears to be installed correctly the problem appears that my GPS won talk to openCPN.
Could either ones program be corrupted as far as possible I have ascertained my WINDOWS 10 is all good.
The problem is in options/connections/add connection am I missing a step here somehow
Same yarn yet again I guess but I am loosing my sanity

I omitted to mention I ran a full security scan, malware scan and cleaner before reinstalling as above

Failing that, take all your Windows based hardware back if possible - won't do what you want to do - under warranty surely, then using the refund just get the latest iPad with GPS built-in, and they all work on Mac with no trouble at all. Brilliant in fact, not to rub it in, but just a fact. If I can make it all work first time on the iPad then anyone can.

Anyway, just remind yourself of one thing. Once you sort it all out, you are in one of the world's best cruising grounds to try it all out on. It has been quite a few years since I cruised there, but we still look back on the snorkelling at Roberton Island, and caught a great and tasty fish coming back in from the 'hole in the rock'.

PS, I am actually semi-serious about dumping MS for the Macs. I have M/S at work, and all Macs at home, so I compare all the time. The ease of "getting things to just work" is one of their major advantages.

Cheers from fellow, ex-Kiwi,
I feel your pain...

In the connection window of OpenCPN, I think you just typed The COM Port number under the com port field.. That won't work, you need to use the pulldown and select the com port from the list.......

Maybe ?

Have the ports been checked on the windows side of things to see which ones are available (numbers as they are virtual)?

I am unsure what is meant by pull down in the "connection"field my connections shows only the list of 5 options, data connections panel wich is blank apart from headings,
add connection tab, serial,network tabs and OK/Cancel/Apply no matter what I try I cannot bring up or enter comport setting (3)
Port shown in Device manager is comport 3 and states devise working properly.
GPS info is showing comport 3 and data is rolling, location correct for my position
Every other function on my notebook is functioning correctly except this problem

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom