Tranny Fluid leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
I've noticed a small transmission fluid drip at the transmission's rear seal. It's where the shaft enters the transmission. Does the boat need to be hauled to replace that seal or is it an in water repair? Thanks.

It depends on the transmission, etc. Don't know if all, but some transmissions require opening the transmission to replace the seal, which requires removing the transmission from the engine. Obviously that requires moving the shaft back far enough to remove the transmission from the engine.

What make of transmission do you have?

Ted

Hi Ted,
The transmission is a Twin Disc.

Hi Mason,
Can't reach my engine guy. If you have to remove the transmission, you may only have to move the shaft back far enough to disengage the shaft coupling from the transmission coupling. Then you may be able to raise the rear of the engine enough to pull the transmission out over the prop shaft. This is all contingent on space behind the engine.

Hopefully somebody else will respond before my engine guy calls back.

Do you have the model number for the transmission (don't know if that makes a difference).

Ted

Model #MG5061A

Send a PM to Ski or maybe we'll hear from him. He helped me out a while back on transmission question via Boatdiesel. Let us know what you find out.

According to my engine guy, the output shaft and the coupling on the transmission are one part. You have to split the case after removing the transmission from the engine. There is a gear on the other end of the shaft that requires a 50 ton press to remove it from the shaft to replace the seal.

Ted

I guess that eliminates an in water fix. Thanks for the info.

Regards, Howard

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom