Reversing camera for GB46eu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrisHamish

Vessel Name
Beluga
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 46eu 2006 hull#289
Hi everyone, I have a 2006 GB46eu. We were trying to install a camera on the rear deck to assist with docking, and and ran into a snag - how to get cables/power to the camera when it is positioned to have a view of the marlin board? The roof over the rear deck has 2 lights in it and we though about using the channels for the wires to the lights - but the channels are barely wide enough to take the size of the lighting wires, and wont fit the camera cable or power cord as well. Anyone done this before, or have any good ideas? Many thanks, H.

How about using a wifi wireless camera? Might still need power, but maybe that can be pulled from the FB?

We have the same boat and have also tried to figure this out. After 4-years, I've learned to back into a slip by "feel." I do position myself at the flybridge helm in such a way that I can see through the hatch to the flybridge ladder when backing in port to. Backing in starboard to is fairly easy as you can see that side of the boat from the helm. Gave up on the camera idea.

Same boat here. I haven't given up on the idea of a camera yet, but in the meantime, my wife with a remote headset on is my "eyes" on the after deck--calling out the closing distance to me....

By the way--we use "ear tech" simultalk. I like the system as it leaves one ear open so you don't lose ambient sounds.

You could run Cat5e and use baluns at each end or use a POE camera, both of which only require to run one Cat5e cable.

Surely, there are autopilots that will control throttles as well as rudders(?). Surely, you could control from wherever you are with your hand-held joystick(?).

If not, sounds like a toy in need of an inventor!

Surely, there are remote cameras with real-time viewing from elsewhere? How else could one navigate a drone?

I bought (but haven't installed yet) one of these cheap wireless video transmitter/receiver pairs on Amazon:
51ZELXu+pGL._AC_US160_.jpg

Then you can buy a backup camera for under $20, or a camera and monitor for $30-$70.

You'd still need power, but if you already have lights there, maybe you can figure out a way to use the existing wires, or just run one more wire for "+" and use the existing ground.

We have the same boat and have also tried to figure this out. After 4-years, I've learned to back into a slip by "feel." I do position myself at the flybridge helm in such a way that I can see through the hatch to the flybridge ladder when backing in port to. Backing in starboard to is fairly easy as you can see that side of the boat from the helm. Gave up on the camera idea.

What he said.

You'll most likely find you don't need a camera on a boat that size once you get the feel for it.

Just thinking-that's strange-How about mounting on the stern below the running light

Just experienced the reversing camera as supplied on a Toyota Highlander. Neat toy; perhaps you can get one at a junk yard. Doesn't help with the wire run, though.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I have a GoPro 4 with wireless so I can use that as an interim, however longer term a wired camera would be a better solution if possible.

Mounting a small marine camera below the stern running light is a good idea thanks ddalme, I hadnt thought of that and will look into it. That might be a solution.

If I find a solution I will post a reply and photo for Howard and Dawdler to have a look at.

Thanks all,

Hamish.

Thanks guys for the ideas. I have a GoPro 4 with wireless so I can use that as an interim, however longer term a wired camera would be a better solution if possible.

Mounting a small marine camera below the stern running light is a good idea thanks ddalme, I hadnt thought of that and will look into it. That might be a solution.

If I find a solution I will post a reply and photo for Howard and Dawdler to have a look at.

Thanks all,

Hamish.

Be careful the go pros have a delay, so I wouldn't rely too much on it

You are dead right Oliver, the GoPro does have a delay - so it cannot ever be a proper longer term solution. Fortunately I worked out the delay issue before I used it as a reversing guide!

H.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom