CG Registered Vessel, push boat.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampu

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Cajun Rose
Vessel Make
Biloxi Lugger
Good Evening my knowledge bank of TF'ers. I just bought a new push boat for my barge. Right now my pushboat is a 25' privateer with some rigged up push knees. My new push boat is a 26' aluminum work boat with knees. The new boat has a 6-53 Detroit Diesel and is heavy duty. My current boat is small enough that i don't need to have it documented and therefore don't need a captains license or commercial insurance. Do I need to stay under the 25' length for or is 26' going to put me in a bad spot with the Coast Guard? Thanks Paul
I've will upload pictures from my phone in a minute

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462411365.358493.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462411390.538871.jpgImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462411404.646449.jpg

How big is the barge? What are you using the barge for? Location?

50'x20' my excavator is on it and I build bulkheads and boat houses. Biloxi ms

Thank you Captain Bill, That pretty much sums it up.
Now I can proceed installing some a/c on that thing.

My current boat is small enough that i don't need to have it documented and therefore don't need a captains license or commercial insurance.
I don't believe the CFRs covering licenses say anything about insurance (though I'm not positive about that).

I assume you do have an insurance policy, but I'm going to guess that it specifically excludes commercial operation.

Then there's the question of how your 50x20 barge with excavator is insured, and frankly I have no idea what that would require.

Back
Top Bottom