TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
RE: Help me out here....

Quote:
Marin wrote:

skipperdude wrote:
So to answer to your question it is my belief that you have a galvanic corrosion issue due to dissimilar metals.
Yes there is, but that's why there's a bonding system connected to a sacrificial anode.* If the anode is at the bottom of the galvanic chart, or at least significantly lower on the chart than the other metals you have in the electrolyte (the salt water) or that are physically connected together and connected to the bonding circuit, the anode is what goes away first.* Once the anode is gone then the next lowest metal is "attacked."

So if the bonding system is intact, the connections are good, and the anode (zinc in this case) is good, that is what makes connecting dissimilar metals on*a boat possible without deterioration of the metal in the important components.* The "unimportant" zinc deteriorates instead.

Which is the long way of saying that having dissimilar metals in contact with each other either physically or via an electrolyte is fine as long as there is an anode protecting them.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 24th of February 2011 06:46:02 PM

Yep....that is kinda what I was thinking. *Will put a wire in the water tomorrow.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote