Good looking Beuhler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Me like.

Poor Diesel Ducks must have pangs of inadequacy...

Thank God the boat is in Malaysia or I would suddenly be in debt again.

I know absolutely nothing yet about boats. I am a new lurker here learning before my purchase upon retirement...However that engine room looks like a winner to me...

I know absolutely nothing yet about boats. I am a new lurker here learning before my purchase upon retirement...However that engine room looks like a winner to me...

I agree-- that engine room is awesome. I guess when you stretch a boat to 70' all sorts of things become possible.

Proportion-wise however, this duck looks a bit odd imo. Maybe too long for the beam.

Last edited:
Maybe dad will buy it for me. :rolleyes:

Yes, the engine room is outstanding - at least it was at launch (those are the launch photos from "about 6 years ago" and before a "major refit").

But I'm not liking the livability of the interior. Look at the steep ladder into the aft stateroom. Look at the lack of stowage around the "bed" (different than the plan). Notice all the small changes in the height of the sole in the saloon & galley. At least it was built with a more central galley than shown on the plans. And, while I guess this is common to all of Buehler's designs, to me it feels like a submarine below. And then there's the complete absence of handholds throughout (maybe that has been rectified).

Even the helm station gives me pause. Smaller than shown on the plans, off the centerline, partially raised, probably necessary to see over the starboard bullwark, but it looks like there's still a blind spot off the bow to port. No apparent provision for electronics and across the passageway from the rather minimal "chart table". It would be interesting to see how this has evolved since the launch.

But I do like that engine room!

Edit: Grovelling for info on the "non-turbo Iveco", it looks like this is their N67 MNA M15, which in it's most powerful version produces 150hp at 2800 rpm. So that's why the engine room is so spacious. And looking again, am I the only one concerned about that unsupported wet exhaust hose?

Last edited:
Did a little more poking around and found that it's powered by a non turbo 6 cylinder Iveco diesel. Looked at the Iveco site and the only non turbo 6 cylinder I found puts out 106hp @ 2500 rpm. Also found a picture of the boat being launched and was surprised at how tiny the prop was. The small prop sort of confirms low hp.
I know nothing about anything but that sounds like a pretty small engine to me.
Though it's sure a cool looking boat

Don't know if this is new news but I saw this on craigslist and thought it was interesting. I'm not affiliated. Funny the boat is in Malaysia and shows up on Skagit County, WA craigslist.
70' steel 2 masted motorsailor

The question is not how small the prop or engine is its how well does she sail? Those two sticks are expected to carry much of the heavy lifting offshore.

A design weight of 85000 # + 2 short masts = poor sailing ability. And the wind often blows from a non-cooperative direction or not at all.

The question is not how small the prop or engine is its how well does she sail? Those two sticks are expected to carry much of the heavy lifting offshore.

A design weight of 85000 # + 2 short masts = poor sailing ability. And the wind often blows from a non-cooperative direction or not at all.

Yeah I would think those are just get home/steadying sails. Maybe add 1/2 knot underway ?

Of course I have no idea what I'm talking about, so factor that in.

?

Here's Buehler on sails:

http://www.dieselducks.com/sail-backup.html

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom