teak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Journey
Vessel Make
38ft. 1989 Marine Trader
just a quick question I am trying to redo the teak under a window .Is there a way to get rid of the water stains dark and light ones ?

just a quick question I am trying to redo the teak under a window .Is there a way to get rid of the water stains dark and light ones ?

yes, easy using oxalic acid. Check the small hardware stores. It is a white powder you mix with water. Brush it on and let it sit, scrub a little, then rinse. Make it up using warm water is better then cold.

Using warm water and saturating it might be a bad idea. And I say might in all honesty.

All the teak veneer in my boat is delaminating. Why? I don't know but suspect moisture and the final blow, freeze thaw. But it is still delaminating 5 years after purchase and no more freeze cycles ....so hard to say.

I will just go back to the life she lived in for 22 years in heat and high humidity. Something ruined the glue in the teak laminates.

Maybe it was just a bad batch of Taiwanese teak...again..just info....

Last edited:
If just saltwater and a soft brush with lots of patience and little to no elbow grease does it then try TSP (trim sodium phosphate) available at your local hardware store. It's ok to clean the teak with it once a year. And then maintain with saltwater and a brush the rest of the year.

We have been using Teak Guard Super Cleaner on ours with great results. Gets the black out without using acid. We got it at Amazon.

Last edited:
Before

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462422495.846707.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1462422524.684366.jpg

If it's veneer you are most likely out of luck. Veneer is so thin that in most cases cleaning and bleaching can do more harm than good. So be careful.

TSP will darken the wood and oxalic acid will lighten the wood. If you have both types of stains it might be better to darken the wood.

In the end paint might be your best choice. Or new veneer.

one more question for now. Is there a place where i can get ? Ownes manual for my boat 1989 38ft Marine Trader

Back
Top Bottom