Sea Wise davit pads pulling away from dinghy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dhays

Guru
Vessel Name
Kinship
Vessel Make
North Pacific 43
Our boat has the Sea Wise Davits installed and it works really well. The same dinghy has been used with the davits sits the boat was bought new 6 years ago. The dinghy has always sat on the davits exposed to the elements without a cover. In general, it has done very well.

However, one of the pads that is glued to the dinghy to clip onto the Sea Wise Davit has started to separate from the tube. I need to know how to reglue it. I have sent a message to Sea Wise and have not yet heard back.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Probably just needs to be reglued to the dinghy.

Is the dinghy hypalon or pvc? That will dictate the proper glue to use.

Follow the proper glue's instructions for cleaning and prepping the surfaces.

Sometimes it's easier and better in the long run to remove the pad completely (careful use of a heat gun works for me).

Thanks David. I believe the dinghy is PVC, but honestly don't know. I will need to investigate that. since it is only about 1.5" of the end of the pad that have started to separate, I was hoping I wouldn't have to remove the entire pad, at least not now.

Same method is used on Weaver davits as well, so maybe a google search on that name will yield some additional information. Pad's coming off is not unheard of, I've personally glued on a number of rafts (mine and friends) and never had one come off, but have seen them, the only thing I could think of is not following the full procedure.
The bigger question for me is, can I re-glue pad down with glue residue already there? I would be inclined to remove pad completely, clean off all the residue and follow the two part glue instructions to the letter (multi coats), and as David stated need the right glue for the material raft is made out of.

Same method is used on Weaver davits as well, so maybe a google search on that name will yield some additional information. Pad's coming off is not unheard of, I've personally glued on a number of rafts (mine and friends) and never had one come off, but have seen them, the only thing I could think of is not following the full procedure.
The bigger question for me is, can I re-glue pad down with glue residue already there? I would be inclined to remove pad completely, clean off all the residue and follow the two part glue instructions to the letter (multi coats), and as David stated need the right glue for the material raft is made out of.

Good suggestion on checking with the Weaver davits. Sounds like taking it off and redoing it is going to be the necessary way to go about it.

I feel your pain, Dave. Just sounds like a POA job. Been putting the remove/reinstall off for better than 6 months. There's a good thread on this in the General Maintenance archives.

Hope the original glue job was correct piece on correct fabric with correct glue......

If so, the glue and the job is like a repair, not davit specufic so knowing the fabric is necessary to pick the glue.

If the glued area is solid except where released, you can just glue the flap, but in the long run, it is hard to get the crevice clean and glued well, so that sliver remains a weak spot. Not impossible to glue well but often not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom