Show your sheer line

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a personal choice but I think the Cape Cook conversion is a lot more sympathetic to the original than the Cape Ross conversion, in which the original boat all but disappears.

Most sheerlines start strong (at the stem) and then sort of peter out. A while back I was looking for a sheer that is strong all the way through and found one on this Norwegian vessel.

View attachment 51497

A really good sheer (IMO) is a twisting sinuous curve of ever changing radii, a line to get lost in. It does not just go flat from midships aft, it's got perk at the stern. Most end up looking droopy aft unless there's a subtle little lift in the last few feet.

View attachment 51498

In Maine the powderhorn effect is called "Moose Shoulders" and can only be spotted from certain viewpoints.

View attachment 51499
Wow Tad , Do you have anymore pics of this second boat ?

12764712_1104722096226742_6479366480123668011_o.jpg

That's Sandavore, ex Barbara Jean #1, 42' x 12' and built 1963 by Wahl Brothers yard in Prince Rupert. Sorry no better pictures.

Farrell37.JPG

This is a Farrell 37, designed 40 years ago in 1976. I think the sheer on these shows strong character. These were first built of wood in Pender Harbour, but seemingly a timeless design. There's a new book just published about Barrie Farrell and his boats.

Tad Roberts; said:
This is a Farrell 37, designed 40 years ago in 1976. I think the sheer on these shows strong character. These were first built of wood in Pender Harbour, but seemingly a timeless design. There's a new book just published about Barrie Farrell and his boats.
One of Barrie's personal boats is for sale.
Oddly it was converted from pleasure to fish.

At St. Augustine

Attachments

• Chesapeake Trip '11 032.jpg
    Chesapeake Trip '11 032.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 61
Took this shot this morning in my local marina. Huckins Fairform Flyer. I rarely see a Huckins that I don't admire.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 68
Took this shot this morning in my local marina. Huckins Fairform Flyer. I rarely see a Huckins that I don't admire.

Great attribute assisting in the good "sheer-look" of a Huckins is its unique cabin window designs. I do like dem Hucks! :dance:

Here's another humble candidate offered for your tasteful scrutiny. It is my own Krogen Manatee hull with the boxy house removed via Photoshop, and a Searay cabin slapped on top in its stead. This way, one can enjoy the sheer, independent of the "functional" distraction.

Attachments

• ManaRay.jpg
    ManaRay.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 70
Taken last year..

Attachments

• IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 76
That's Sandavore, ex Barbara Jean #1, 42' x 12' and built 1963 by Wahl Brothers yard in Prince Rupert. Sorry no better pictures.

Have always loved the lines of Wahl boats. "Legacy in Wood" by Ryan Wahl is a great read.

Sadly not my boat. She's the one that got away. Could have done it, should have done it, didn't do it. M/V Charlie Noble, which belonged to a TF user. Lovely sheer line.

Dave,
I was drooling over her too. Name "Wells Grey"? Had a single Cat V8. Was grey in color then..

Something about our own BC boats that just get prettier with age.
She has such a lovely set of hips, eh?

Dave, c'mon out, I'll introduce you.

Attachments

• Miss Quadra.jpg
    Miss Quadra.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 63
Hwash,
What a beautiful boat.
May be hard to see logs in time w the poor helmsmans position. But it looks like she's seen a few channels and inlets as it is. I love this type.
OFB (Old Fish Boat) here on the forum has a very similar boat and of course I love it too.

Nomad Willy; said:
What a beautiful boat.
She was built in 1961 by Yamanaka Boat Works, Steveston, BC as a gillnetter and the first owner had her until 2004=43 years. A gap until 2011 when the current owner bought her. The minimal specs I can find says 135HP which, if a Lehman, means it was repowered at some point.

She's currently tied up in Sayward with a for sale sign on her. I assume the doghouse goes down into the hold below where the drum was.

Attachments

• Miss Q Stb.jpg
    Miss Q Stb.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hwash,
Now I see the cabin is shorter that it looked in the first pic. Looks a lot better for visability. Thanks for both pics ... can't get enough of these boats.

Rogue,
Nice boat. Why do they call them Fatty Knees? That dink is a lot like my converted yellow sailboat in post #9.

Last edited:
This is what happens when a Kiwi yachtsman designs a retirement boat for himself.

Attachments

• DSC04430.JPG
    DSC04430.JPG
    18.6 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
Eric, this is the best story I know of about the name...mine is an older model.

LordNelsonVictoryTugNellieD.jpg

Lord Nelson Tugs have some pretty pronounced sheerlines.

I little chine thrown in for good measure.

img_439498_0_a29d50d2db53f56c863af34a7f439ece.jpg

Powderhorn disappears when viewed from the side.

img_439498_1_dafaae60e293f7721e3cbc07dc70b004.jpg

Larry-that has to be one of your better Photoshop efforts. That combo makes a surprisingly good looking boat. With just a bit more tweaking to the cabin, you could have a real winner there.

Classic

Our Alaskan has lines we dream about regularly.

LordNelsonVictoryTugNellieD.jpg

Lord Nelson Tugs have some pretty pronounced sheerlines.
That's a nice one Dave.The PO of our boat William owns one of these now and is currently cruising up the east coast . Name of the boat is " John William " .

Y'know how when you buy a different car you never really paid any attention to and now see them everywhere?

Well, since the Spy taught me the new, highly nautical term, "droopy bow," they're like bloody rabbits.

The very day after I learned-the-term, first thing I noticed about this Sea Ray...droopy bow. Then I got to thinking about other Sea Rays and by golly this 34 I had...droopy bow.

I'll not ever look at Sea Rays the same.

Attachments

• 20160503_133200.jpg
    20160503_133200.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 71
  • Blind Bay 1.jpg
    Blind Bay 1.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 58
Yup,
The reverse sheer on many of the SeaRay's is almost silly looking at rest but they look fine at speed. And the helmsman has a good chance for a good view.

Marty,
The LN is a handsome boat to be sure and I considered them when I was shopping for another boat. Does the wheelhouse sole follow the highly ramped up deck line? If so I would't like that at all. Always in it's favor (if one is looking for a FD boat the LN is the real deal ... a 100% FD hull. Very efficient. But only a fair design for handling and manners in the nasty ..IMO. Their BMW engines put me off .. mostly because I don't know much about them. I think I saw one w a 4cyl Cummins though.

Steve,
Panope looks like she's got a bit of a hooked sheer slightly reversed well fwd but in the second broadside photo there's no sign of it. Pictures are tricky.

Yup,
The reverse sheer on many of the SeaRay's is almost silly looking at rest but they look fine at speed. And the helmsman has a good chance for a good view.

Marty,
The LN is a handsome boat to be sure and I considered them when I was shopping for another boat. Does the wheelhouse sole follow the highly ramped up deck line? If so I would't like that at all. Always in it's favor (if one is looking for a FD boat the LN is the real deal ... a 100% FD hull. Very efficient. But only a fair design for handling and manners in the nasty ..IMO. Their BMW engines put me off .. mostly because I don't know much about them. I think I saw one w a 4cyl Cummins though.

Steve,
Panope looks like she's got a bit of a hooked sheer slightly reversed well fwd but in the second broadside photo there's no sign of it. Pictures are tricky.
Eric , I've never been aboard an LNVT but any picture that I've ever seen show the sole to be level ( if level is a nautical term ) .

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.4 KB · Views: 69
Y'know how when you buy a different car you never really paid any attention to and now see them everywhere?

Well, since the Spy taught me the new, highly nautical term, "droopy bow," they're like bloody rabbits.

The very day after I learned-the-term, first thing I noticed about this Sea Ray...droopy bow. Then I got to thinking about other Sea Rays and by golly this 34 I had...droopy bow.

I'll not ever look at Sea Rays the same.

"Hog Backed" is the term I learned from my dad. Part time navel architect in 1960's. Not sure if that was his term or in general use back then in New England. Seems I heard others use it?? I do know that I would not want to be in any truly rough seas with that hull design! Its snout simply points in the wrong entry direction for hitting waves. Physics is physics - LOL

Art,
A hogged keel is a standard boating expression. Happends to wood boats put away wet and blocked up light on the ends or even quicker and to a greater degree w blocking not carried far enough into the ends. A hogged keel is almost always w boat upright and keel high amidships and low at the ends.

A hogged keel is a damaged keel so just refering to a curve on a boat may not be a propper use of the expression but it may comunicate nonetheless.

Boats w hogged keels don't handle well and are even dangerous in heavy seas. On the other hand a sagging keel could even be an advantage. I just recently bought an aluminum canoe that had a gogged keel caused by mechanical abuse. I used my handyman jack and garage door header (to push on) and straighted the bottom out. It was time consuming and actually I gave the canoe some rocker. Paddeled it two days ago and it paddles very well. I'm very pleased w it. Another one of my modifications that turned out well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom