Refrigerators

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Make sure to consider power use especially if you like being at anchor a lot. We were just anchored in the Bahamas for 10 weeks and it was very nice only needing to run the generator once a day, if that.

It would cost us at least a couple of hundred thousand $$$ to install one of those monsters as we'd have to buy a significantly larger boat to accommodate it.

Dear, how would you like that beautiful, big, new boat fridge you've always said you wanted to make your galley life easier? :D

You miss the point, go buy a refrigerator, then shop around for a proper boat for it:dance:

You miss the point, go buy a refrigerator, then shop around for a proper boat for it:dance:

I thought that was my point. :D

When comparing power consumption, the number of amps draw really doesn't tell the story. The duty cycle is just as important, and unfortunately is often not available. If possible, look at the energy star sticker which will tell you how many khw it will typically consume in a year. I have found the stickers to be pretty much dead nuts on compared to actual use. Unfortunately the info is spotty when you get into mobile units, but it's still worth a try. You might be surpisd by the results.

Yes. :thumb:

But 5 amps is the draw, but it's only 50% of the time. Thus the Defender mentions 45 watts which is probably about right for that model.

I have two one freezer and one fridge and TOGETHER they use 5 amps an hour or 5 amps x 12 v = 60 volt-amps per hour or 60 watts per hour.

both my units are EXTERNAL compressors, which reduce consumption a bit.

Lastly, I love them, as they are very consistent. The freezer stays +/- 1 degrees at -04.F, the fridge is at warmest setting and stays at 41F

On amazon you can get a dual remote wireless temp unit for about $25.

Lastly, in my research, Vitrifrigos are all made in Italy, while the almost identical Isotherm are made in both Italy and China.

I have a stainless box on my boat and I was thinking about the Isotherm unit that sits in the engine room and has a sea water cooler.

Has anybody used one of these?

I have a stainless box on my boat and I was thinking about the Isotherm unit that sits in the engine room and has a sea water cooler.

Has anybody used one of these?

Not sure if we have the same set up. Are you talking about a Eutectic system.?

We still have the original system the boat came with, although with new copper lines compressor & condenser. We looked at replacing the unit, however its ability to reduce temperature quickly is second to none, so we stuck with it.Probably would not fit out a new boat that way though if we were starting from scratch.

Not sure if we have the same set up. Are you talking about a Eutectic system.?

We still have the original system the boat came with, although with new copper lines compressor & condenser. We looked at replacing the unit, however its ability to reduce temperature quickly is second to none, so we stuck with it.Probably would not fit out a new boat that way though if we were starting from scratch.

This is the system I am referring to.

Isotherm 2551 Compact SP Water Cooled Refrigeration Component System

Well, it must be the season for fridge replacements. I got to the boat today to replace the house and start batteries and found my Norcold DE441 has died. It had been making noises for the last month or two so I knew something was up. It's about 15 years old so probably not worth repairing, right? Besides, it took out my frozen bait supply so it doesn't smell too good right now.

img_439094_0_012a569a38eac69048270f8fbc683537.jpg

img_439094_1_c9e9f45d8da11ffa6a2a0a2850a21c05.jpg

I'd like to remain with an AC/DC model so I'll also be looking at replacement options. Dwhatty, can you share cost and size data on your 2-drawer model? IIRC, that was north of $2K, right?

I'll also be considering this Vitrifrigo as a replacement option. It looks like it'll have more room than my Norcold but fit in the same cabinet space. I'd prefer a wood panel insert, but maybe my old one can fit??

Vitrifrigo Sea Classic C115iAC Refrigerator / Freezer

Dwhatty, can you share cost and size data on your 2-drawer model? IIRC, that was north of $2K, right?

By $42. Including shipping. On Sale.

Two of the best days on my last boat were when I put the PIA worn out sliding glass door in the dumpster, the other when I put the Not Cold, the next day on top of it.

:)You guys had better not jinx my 30yr old always cold no 240v but ever reliable 12v Norcold 2 door fridge by making me stand up for the brand.:)
Admitting I have replaced the seals and I need to kick the bottom of the fridge part door as the door has dropped a bit but it works like a charm081.jpg See attachment I hope.

John

My '78 Puget Trawler 34 has an old, original I suppose Norcold, not sure the model, no labels anywhere that I can see. Tried it out the other day, works on shoreside and 12V so for now I will use it but I don't expect it will last much longer. I don't see us letting it run all night either.

Due to my cutout dimensions (33" x 23 5/8") I'm leaning toward the Nova Kool R5810 to minimize cabinet mods. My current Norcold is 3.1 Cu Ft and the Nova Kool is 5.8 Cu Ft...87% bigger. Looking at the Vitrifrigo (4.2 cu ft) and Isotherm (4.6 cu ft) choices, they both appear too narrow and short for a good fit with the flush mount flange.

My Norcold had front ventilation, but these Danfoss models require cabinet venting. I currently have no vents and will need a trip to the boat this week to evaluate my options. Has anyone else here dealt with adding vents to existing cabinetry? I'm looking for suitable sources for a 30 sq inch vent to go through the countertop along the backsplash.

(old picture)
img_440386_0_ff383663974c637d85cfdc3db83aaa6e.jpg

I'm also considering lining the top, bottom and sides in 3/4-1 in thick foil-lined Styrofoam sheets. I have the room and figure it'll improve the cold retention. Of course I'll discuss this with Nova Kool but thought I'd bounce it by you guys first since some surely have already traveled down this road before me.

Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:
Al
I have the Isotherm and the cutout size given does not include the nearly 3/4-1" flange on each side. You may want to confirm that before ruling these units out as too narrow.

Al
I have the Isotherm and the cutout size given does not include the nearly 3/4-1" flange on each side. You may want to confirm that before ruling these units out as too narrow.

Thanks, Marty. That's my #2 choice so far...but the jury's still out. I've been looking for those Isotherm flange dimensions but oddly they're not listed on the sites I've checked including WM and Isotherm. From this video, I got the impression they're about an inch.

My cutout at 33H x 23 5/8W is 3.4 inches higher and 2.85 inches wider than the Isotherm. I could lift the unit and place a vented spacer at the base, but the sides...that's a lot of gap to fill with a flange. I could make it work if I have to with cabinet mods or additional flange material.

If I can fit the Nova Kool in there, I get 5.8 cu ft vs 4.6 in the Isotherm and 4.2 in the Vitrifigo. Just gotta find one at a good price. Rescue PM sent to Hopcar! :D

Please excuse the crappy formatting, but here's my comparison list.

Attachments

• Fridge List.txt
    805 bytes · Views: 60
None of the fridges on the list are the modern style that vent into the cabin.

Venting the heat into the reefer closet raises the Delta T , the amount of work the reefer must do to to stay cool.

A power closet vent doesn't help very much as they usually operate with the fridge , leaving it to cook in its closet when shut off.

The Admiral wanted to get away from a refrigerator and freezer that vented into the galley. Too much heat. On a Krogen 42 the backs of the refrigerator freezer are close to the bulkhead that is the pilot house wall. We vented the heat in that direction. Happy wife is a happy life.

Venting the heat into the reefer closet raises the Delta T , the amount of work the reefer must do to to stay cool.

A power closet vent doesn't help very much as they usually operate with the fridge , leaving it to cook in its closet when shut off.

Sometimes " it is what it is". I replaced mine last year and ended up providing venting as where possible . Time will tell if it lasts the 26years of the old one. (Not that I'll be there to measure the time)

All three of the fridges on my list are modern Danfoss compressor fridges. I know the Nova Kool R5810 requires a 30 sq inch vent to allow for a "chimney effect" airflow for venting. The Vitrifrigo requires 45 sq inches of venting according to the manual. I'm not sure if the Isotherm requires venting or not.

I spoke to a Nova Kool engineer yesterday about enhancing insulation and optimizing venting for maximum efficiency. My intent is to add styrofoam panels to the sides, top and bottom. He stated that while it's not necessary due to that unit's excellent insulation, some gain may be obtained, especially top and bottom. many folks glue it onto the sides, but he recommended using something like foil tape to secure the panels loosely.

He also addressed the vent requirements. He said the best is 30 sq inch venting to allow the natural chimney effect venting, suggesting bottom front and upper aft. An alternative to this is to cut a 4.5 in x 4.5 in hole into the cabinet and move the fan from the back of the unit into this opening to create a powered exhaust airflow while the unit is running. He noted that this would require a slight extension of the fan wires to allow the fan to reach the opening. I will explore this possibility, also.

Marty, I'm intrigued by your solution to vent the hot air externally. My fridge sits against the stbd salon wall and this solution could be very feasible. Did you add a SS vent to the exterior cabin wall? Got a pic?

I am also going to explore the possibility of forced air venting into the cavity behind the stbd cabinets and propane stove (which we very seldom use). Any thoughts pro or con?

Al
Sorry to mislead you. I vented into the pilot house. using a 3" dryer type hose and a 3" computer fan. The vent exits the bulkhead inside the pilot house but right next to the pilot house door which is usually open. Fans last me two seasons or approximately 8 months of use. Very low draw. My IR thermometer indicates I am exhausting warmer air.

My Virtofrigo over/under has served us well for many years. Has the recommended Danfoss compressor. I do worry about what seems to be flimsy latch, plasticy and seemingly ready to break--but no problems with it in 8 years or so.

Back
Top Bottom