View Single Post
Old 05-03-2016, 12:13 PM   #46
sbu22
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Re: Wxx3 (post 23) - EPA ceased to be a competent, science based organization under and at the direction of Carol Browner during the Clinton administration. She directed the official disregard of standard data evaluation practices to gin up the case against "second hand smoke." Like smoking or not (I'm a non-smoker), there was no scientific basis for concern - unless you move the goalposts to conform to the desired outcome. Move them she did. The resulting purge of the real scientists and engineers (most of whom had been there since the inception of the agency) who held fast to real science resulted in the Sierra Club Chapter that you see today.

The original EPA crew accomplished tremendous advances in meaningful environmental areas: cleaning up the flaming Cayouga (sp?) River, the lower Mississippi, unrestricted strip mining (cost me a good job), actually defining and regulating hazardous waste, etc, etc. A real life demonstration of the 90/10 rule.

Now we have an agency that declares every puddle of water in the US a "navigable waterway" (over the objections of the Army Corps, for Pete's sake), demands phony mileage and emissions for rolling stock, and takes responsibility for nothing (Animas River). All the while nibbling away at that remaining 10% at enormous cost.

They are coming for your boat - the Pajama Boy in the corner office just hasn't thought of it yet. I mean - who really NEEDS a polluting rec boat?

Love my 1976 engines.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote