Electric toilets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Since it was a complete system, it didn't have lots of capacity, but I could imagine it not being very difficult to have a separate bowl and tank -- and then locating the more serious holding tank under the sole under the throne.

-Chris

You have a limited imagination then. :D

Vac U Flushes don't ka chunk any more. Their newer pumps are very quite.

I forget the maker, but we had a "Traveler" system in our Mainship Mk III, and it was reasonably bullet-proof as to function. Worked much like a non-portable porta-potty. Bombsight, so to speak.

It's the SeaLand (now Dometic) 7-11 M28 Marine Traveler...a self-contained system with an all china bowl--SeaLand's RV gravity toilet that looks like and has a flush pedal just like a VacuFlush and is also fed by pressurized fresh water--on a short pedestal sitting atop a 9 gallon tank. It's an excellent self-contained system...and you're right, it's an MSD portapotty "on steroids."

Since it was a complete system, it didn't have lots of capacity,

It has a lot more than you think it does. Because, unlike the VacuFlush, it really does only need about 1 pint of water--just enough to rinse the flush into the tank, the 9 gallon tank can hold 60-75 flushes...you'd need at least a 30-40 gallon tank to hold that many from any manual or electric toilet. If that's not enough capacity, you can add a second tank and put a y-valve and macerator pump in the pumpout line to transfer the contents to it.

Because it is completely self-contained, a lot more elegant than a portapotty and has a very reasonable price, I've always liked it a lot. It just has one drawback: the tank footprint is about 20" x 20"...too large for a lot of head compartments.

I just about given up trying to find anything on the Dometic site any more, but you can check it out in detail on the Defender site: SeaLand Traveler at Defender HopCar may also have it, if not, Parks can get it for you. http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|51|2234284|2234292&id=105225

Looks like a neat, affordable unit.

What I don't understand: What do you do when it's full at 9 + gals. Does it have pipe that goes in near by deck of boat for pump out? Maybe needs to be evacuated through bowl bottom, through head window??

OH - Since writing the above. Pg. 3 of owners manual explains how to hook it up for exterior pump out. Pretty simple toilet to have on a boat.

Last edited:
It's designed to be pumped out through a deck pumpout fitting, same as any other holding tank...has a fitting for a pumpout line and vent line.

What I don't understand: What do you do when it's full at 9 + gals. Does it have pipe that goes in near by deck of boat for pump out? Maybe needs to be evacuated through bowl bottom, through head window??

OH - Since writing the above. Pg. 3 of owners manual explains how to hook it up for exterior pump out. Pretty simple toilet to have on a boat.

It's designed to be pumped out through a deck pumpout fitting, same as any other holding tank...has a fitting for a pumpout line and vent line.

Yep, worked like a champ.

-Chris

Yep, worked like a champ.

-Chris

I can see, as I believe Peggie mentioned before, it would be good idea having a transfer pump/macerator/line from that toilet's rather small holding tank into a bigger holding tank that's near by.

To my way of thinking, planning: Seems this would work especially well if the bigger holding tank's top is just above (4+/- inches above) the top of toilet's tank. That way no pressure build up from toilet tank could maybe seep past transfer pump's impeller to overload the larger tank... even when both might become full.

With two tanks and such minimal flush-water volume it seems there would be considerable time available between pump outs from both tanks; each having a deck fitting for suction evacuation.

I like this idea and feel it might work well aboard our Tolly if need ever comes to install different toilets.

Also, except for the transfer pump amps, (which would not too often need to be used) electric energy use for generally flushing the toilet would be non existent.

Simple is as simple does! :thumb: :dance:

I've full pictures, description, and links in my computer's "Yachting" folder - LOL

Last edited:
There are a lot of you trying to invent something that already exists in better form than you can create. There are many good toilet options and waste systems for boats. They are excellent straight out of the box, installed exactly as their manual says and used as instructed. There's nothing more to it than that. Don't overcomplicate things so. It's not that complex.

I read here and on the cruising site of the apparently millions of problems with heads on boats when I was getting started in coastal boating. However, I haven't experienced any of those problems and I'm using equipment and systems straight as they come from the manufacturer.

There are a lot of you trying to invent something that already exists in better form than you can create. There are many good toilet options and waste systems for boats. They are excellent straight out of the box, installed exactly as their manual says and used as instructed. There's nothing more to it than that. Don't overcomplicate things so. It's not that complex.

I read here and on the cruising site of the apparently millions of problems with heads on boats when I was getting started in coastal boating. However, I haven't experienced any of those problems and I'm using equipment and systems straight as they come from the manufacturer.

With all due respect Mr. B

IMHO... You may be playing with bigger boats and larger sums of disposable fun-money than some members on TF. Product affordability and readily available self-installation product capabilities, often requiring installation-inventive owner-opportunities, are often the deciding factors regarding equipment (toilets included) for many boat owners.

Therefore, musings as to how to most easily and at lowest cost be able to have good working toilets result in posts... containing helpful suggestions past on for others to contemplate.

IMHO... You may be playing with bigger boats and larger sums of disposable fun-money than some members on TF. Product affordability and readily available self-installation product capabilities, often requiring installation-inventive owner-opportunities, are often the deciding factors regarding equipment (toilets included) for many boat owners.

Therefore, musings as to how to most easily and at lowest cost be able to have good working toilets result in posts... containing helpful suggestions past on for others to contemplate.

I may be, but the single toilets are really much the same and Peggie has made many excellent recommendations. No, it's not the lowest cost perhaps to purchase a quality unit, but I think there is quite a cost to having continual problems with older units and with DIY modifications. I think many inventive owners are getting themselves into trouble with their inventions.

I don't think reinventing the wheel ever qualifies in "how to most easily". I know many people using inexpensive systems, relatively new and properly installed and having no issues. I have a good friend who is a yacht manager and regularly installs new units to replace old outdated and poorly functioning units. The problems are eliminated and the new units working find. He's having very good success with brands he once was very skeptical of. Now, I'll drop the subject, but just in my viewpoint, if I'm having continual issues, I'm going to replace with a new unit, selected within my affordability and installed as the manufacturer recommends.

yep

Good God Man!? Just how big are your dumps that any of the good quality marine heads out there now can't handle them? :eek:

I just don't get all the fuss about and need to reengineer marine heads?

Saying home style gravity heads are the best way to go on a boat is unrealistic in most cases. The engineering design is just to limiting for the realities of boat design. Especially smaller boats.

And the good quality marine heads out there now are not a big deal to use or maintain.

I have to agree with Capt. Bill and BandB. On all my boats I've always had the basic Jabsco/Par manual flush and have never had a problem. Rebuild or replace the pump every few years and all is well. I've thought of going electric but don't know if it's worth the amps when anchored out.

I have to agree with Capt. Bill and BandB. On all my boats I've always had the basic Jabsco/Par manual flush and have never had a problem. Rebuild or replace the pump every few years and all is well. I've thought of going electric but don't know if it's worth the amps when anchored out.

Yep, I had to replace a pump after about 12 years service; don't think that's unreasonable.

I don't think I could ever flush often enough (at anchor) to make amp consumption a factor. Partly because we charge batteries 2x/day anyway, coinciding with morning and evening cooking times... but also partly because X amps for about 3 seconds, four or five times per day, just doesn't add up to much.

-Chris

I have founf the electric toilets are prefered by boaters that have loads of guests aboard .

No training for each , just oysh the button.

For couples that cruise a Quality manual , and a spare rebuild kit does the best .

Boats with 2 heads will use the electric unit in the public head , the quiet manual as their own.

Have a pair of vacuflush systems on my boat that work well and simple to maintain. Parts are relatively inexpensive. Rebuilt the systems while refitting my boat. For the relatively low cost of parts, I can't figure out why people wait till the system fails to work on them as opposed to doing preventative service. After flushing copious quantities of water with a little bleach though the system, servicing wasn't really an unpleasant task.

Ted

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom