Marina Recommendation Needed...Hilton Head to Norfolk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sum escape

Vessel Name
Sapphire
Vessel Make
Tiara 53 Fly
Looking for a recommendation for a good service and storage marina for our 47' M/V between Hilton Head and Norfolk for general haul out maintenance (bottom paint, shaft seals), detailing service, dinghy outboard tune up/maintenance, minor canvas work, etc. Want to leave the boat from late June to early August and have these and a few other items completed while we are away. Thanks for your help.

Not personal experience but the Jarret Bay and True World marinas just north of Morehead City, NC get pretty high marks. If not, back to Hinkley or Thunderbolt Marine also get high marks.

Those places are for pretty technical stuff....

Light and lively things...just figure out where is good for you and look at places in a cruising guide or active captain.

Greetings,
Mr. su. We had work done a couple of years ago at AYB in Chesapeake VA. VERY efficient crew although their "mechanic" did NOT fill me with the greatest of confidence. Paint shop A+, Wood shop A+...I was there for about 3 weeks so I had a good chance to observe. Boats are stored in water in sheds as there is very little ground storage because they use most available outdoor space for active work. Pricey but good work.

Further...Just saw Mr. ps's post. We stayed overnight at Jarret Bay-impressive facilities and many years ago had work done at Hinckleys. At that time Hinkley was VERY good. Don't know about recently.

Last edited:
Not personal experience but the Jarret Bay and True World marinas just north of Morehead City, NC get pretty high marks. If not, back to Hinkley or Thunderbolt Marine also get high marks.

I had a broken transmission oil cooler (discovered while I was planning on staying one night at Thunderbolt Marina). Surprisingly, while they seem to work on everything else, they do not work on engines, transmissions, etc.. They bring in a contractor.

In my case, the contractor couldn't/wouldn't help me so I found the part on line, spent $100 for overnight shipping and was on my way the next morning.

Of course it's not between Hilton Head and Norfolk anyway.

Active Captain has reviews on marinas and boat yards, but like with everything else, you have to take them with a grain of salt. You can find great and terrible reviews for the same place.

Atlantic Yacht Basin next to the great bridge

+1 for Atlantic Yacht Basin. In fact our boat is there right now. They fixed our genset last year and are doing some little stuff now since we had to leave the boat and get home for a funeral. They're a good group of people.

Edit: I forgot, they replaced the turbo on our main last year also.

Last edited:
Add to the ones above which are all excellent: Bennett Brothers in Wilmington.

Back
Top Bottom