Fordlehman 120 no start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle911

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maurader
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Trawler
Hey,

More Fordlehman won't start. Fully charged batteries, fuel pump works.

It tries to crank over but does not. When I give it a bit more throttle will starting you can hear it rev up a bit. With the throttle at the normal place while starting it sounds like a slow cranking sound.

Any ideas?

When it's this cold out I was advised to start my Lehman with the throttle at 1/2 position and bring it down when it starts. There is a 'cold' start mechanism on the Lehman but since we all boat in water it's usually warm enough so that it is not used. On my Marine Trader there is no facility to use it. It's always started with the 1/2 throttle position.

Hope this helps.

Not much info.........first I'd check all connections from the batt to the starter motor....especially the ground. Next option would be the starter itself.

Thanks. Usually I use 1/4 throttle but tried 1/2 and no go. Connections are fine and tight.

Two quick checks - Did the engine stop solenoid get stuck in the closed position? With key on, hit stop switch - you'll see it close.

Air in system?

I'll have to check. It's either electrical or something with my fuel system I assume

Kyle
If its turning over fast enough then you've probably got fuel problems. Crack an injector line and crank. Fuel shows-call a mechanic-no fuel ck filters, lift pump,fuel shutoff valve,etc. Been there done that-sometimes it gets frustrating.

It last ran in the fall. I winterized it with coolant

Check for stuck injection pump plungers. Sticks control rack too. Common problem with engines sitting up. Under the side cover on the Simms pump.

Sounds like air in the fuel lines to me. I would go thru the bleeding process again. Lehman 120s are very sensitive to air.

Second the air issue as jleonard says above. Also if you changed the on engine fuel filters and gaskets, make sure gaskets aren't reversed.

I had an air issue and loosened the front most injector nut. My boat has an auxiliary fuel pump that the original owner installed (thankfully) but you can accomplish the same thing by cranking it over. Have someone help you as the fuel is under pressure and can make a mess when you crank it over.

mike

I would not touch the injector nuts, the 2 bleed screws on the Simms pump have worked every time for many owners.

Start messing with anything else and it might be a different issue and you are loosen g items that really don't need to be.

In case you don't know where the bleed screws are.

Attachments

• Capture 12.PNG
    Capture 12.PNG
    144.7 KB · Views: 54
Anyone know if you can look in the oil fill hole and see if the rack is free to move? Been a while since I dealt with a no start FL.

Anyone know if you can look in the oil fill hole and see if the rack is free to move? Been a while since I dealt with a no start FL.
I don't think so but not positive.

If you think a plunger is stuck...is there a backyard mechanic way to free it?

I don't think so but not positive.

If you think a plunger is stuck...is there a backyard mechanic way to free it?

Yep. Take the side cover off and pry downward on the spring retainer. sometimes it is stuck just barely more than the spring force, a little pry and "snap" down it goes. Usually from then it clears itself and all is well. Done it many times on various engines. If stuck badly, then it might need real work.

Back
Top Bottom