OA 50 Mk 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott and Malina

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Searching...
Good day all,
I plan to have a look at this boat in a couple weeks just to get an idea of her in person.

1979 "50" Ocean Alexander Pilothouse MK 1 Power Boat For Sale -

Any likes or dislikes, things to look out for, etc... about the OA 50 Mk1's in general? Personally, I like the looks and layout of the QA Mk1s, but need to see one in person naturally. Just curious if there are any OA 50 Mk1 owners out there that would be willing to share some thoughts? Thoughts don't necessarily have to be about this boat in particular, just about any of them in that era.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

Scott and Malina

It could just be me, but it seems over priced for it's age.

I would look carefully for signs of leaks around the windows and shower areas.
While the interior is very dated, it looks to be in good condition for a boat of that age.
IMO, while a good brand, a 6KW generator is small for that size boat. With an electric galley and 3 AC units, seems like there would be a lot of load shedding.
For that size boat, if you are going to cruise it, I would want a washer drier. Not sure if there is space for one. More load for the generator.

Ted

Lots of OA Mk1 owners on this Forum....I'm one of them, though Aquabelle is a flushdeck model, not a pilothouse. In fact my 1985-built vessel was the last Mk1 hull made. Brian (another Aussie) Forum member did a comprehensive re-fit of Insequent in the US....look for his posts and PM him if he doesn't respond to your post.

The one you are considering looks to be very well loved and maintained: good to see a broker taking a photo of what I guess are invoices & service records, all well-organized: good sign. The already-replaced engines and fuel tanks mean two big jobs have been done. The addition of NAIAD stabiliers, also upgraded, is a real bonus as these boats really deserve that luxury.

That really leaves just the teak decks to be concerned about. If they are still the originals, they will be screwed down and are almost certainly at the end of their lives, necessitating costly replacement if you want to keep teak or slightly-less-costly replacement with non-skid. I cannot work out from the photos what has been done to the boat/flybridge deck or the foredeck...if you get to see her in the flesh, I would be interested to hear what you find. Obviously, look everywhere including inside lockers and behind panels, if you can, for signs of leaks.

The layout of these vessels makes them very popular cruising boats; the hulls are very heavily laid up; and the Mk1 hull is famous for its good sea-keeping qualities. Interior timberwork is superb. In fact rather than sell and upgrade, many owners have instead undertaken 5-7' cockpit extensions.

All that said, it IS a 1979-built vessel. You need to satisfy yourself that it is well-priced, because that is 'old' by most standards.

Good luck...and please post again when you have inspected her.

I've been aboard that boat. My son asked me to check out another boat listed by Va Yacht Brokers for a NY customer. The OA was a couple of slips down and Apparently someone had just been aboard her as the lights were on and the doors open. She does have some age on her. Minor issue for me would be the heads, the faux marble panels would need to go. The decks appear to be teak but have been painted or covered with something that is now wearing off. That deck might need some attention. I saw no evidence of leaks but I was only aboard for 5 minutes. I would look at her, the layout is one I like; does seem a bit pricey for her age and the condition of the decks.

I might be a little biased, but I too like the looks and layout of Mk 1's! A few things changed from '79 to late '81 when mine was built but much is the same and it works pretty well. Basically it is a lot of boat for the money. I believe 98 were built. Many have had a 5 ft cockpit extension, which I'm still thinking of doing. It fixes one of the few drawbacks.

Free standing salon furniture is a real plus, although I think you would be able to do better than Merlion exhibits. It is a very straightforward process to furnish to your own taste, and get much better comfort than the fixed bench seats that are all too common.

The big cost items for Mk 1's are replacing fuel tanks, and to a lesser extent engines and electrical installation. Merlion's tanks have been redone so that should not be an issue at all, and other work at the time was extensive and made sense. I did the same kind of stuff when I replaced my tanks. It costs quite a bit, and was some years ago for Merlion but the ER still looks pretty tidy. I think its pricing is pretty good based on description and pics. The flybridge looks a bit weird to me, and I guess that's one of the things that they did a little better in later builds.

When I re-powered I used John Deere at 201HP. The Cat 3208N's are very similar HP. I can get to 11 kn, and usually cruise between 8-9 kn. Originally my boat had 270 HP Cummins V8's each side and would do 16 kn. But it was stern heavy, and needed trim tabs fully extended. It really needed more power in my view. I went for less power during refit as I was happy with displacement speeds. So, should you want to go faster speed, and if the those Cat naturals are able to be turbo'ed to 375HP, then it is possible with the hull shape to get near 20kn I would think. The drawback of V8's is that it is very tight on the outboard side of the engines.

If you have any specific questions after you have had a look at the boat I'm happy to share info. There are some other TF members who also have Mk 1's also.

Edit: Saw some other posts made whilst I was typing. Yes, teak decks will need work if not already done. Not a big deal in my view, not that expensive in the overall scheme of things. Windows should not be an issue at all, unlike some other TT's.

And yes, faux marble and other cosmetic catastrophes will need sorting or updating. Easy.

Last edited:
It looks like the teak decks that are exposed to the sun have some kind of coating on them as I see lines on the decks. IIRC, this was discussed on TF some time in the past and the conclusion was coating teak decks is not a great idea.

That swim platform really looks tiny.

It could just be me, but it seems over priced for it's age.

I would look carefully for signs of leaks around the windows and shower areas.
While the interior is very dated, it looks to be in good condition for a boat of that age.
IMO, while a good brand, a 6KW generator is small for that size boat. With an electric galley and 3 AC units, seems like there would be a lot of load shedding.
For that size boat, if you are going to cruise it, I would want a washer drier. Not sure if there is space for one. More load for the generator.

Ted

Ted,

All good points to consider, I appreciate the reply and info. I do think (at least according to the write up) that there are washer and dryer installed under the galley counter, awkward place I suppose, but I don't know what choice there is to these vessels regarding WD installation.

Scott and Malina

Lots of OA Mk1 owners on this Forum....I'm one of them, though Aquabelle is a flushdeck model, not a pilothouse. In fact my 1985-built vessel was the last Mk1 hull made. Brian (another Aussie) Forum member did a comprehensive re-fit of Insequent in the US....look for his posts and PM him if he doesn't respond to your post.

The one you are considering looks to be very well loved and maintained: good to see a broker taking a photo of what I guess are invoices & service records, all well-organized: good sign. The already-replaced engines and fuel tanks mean two big jobs have been done. The addition of NAIAD stabiliers, also upgraded, is a real bonus as these boats really deserve that luxury.

That really leaves just the teak decks to be concerned about. If they are still the originals, they will be screwed down and are almost certainly at the end of their lives, necessitating costly replacement if you want to keep teak or slightly-less-costly replacement with non-skid. I cannot work out from the photos what has been done to the boat/flybridge deck or the foredeck...if you get to see her in the flesh, I would be interested to hear what you find. Obviously, look everywhere including inside lockers and behind panels, if you can, for signs of leaks.

The layout of these vessels makes them very popular cruising boats; the hulls are very heavily laid up; and the Mk1 hull is famous for its good sea-keeping qualities. Interior timberwork is superb. In fact rather than sell and upgrade, many owners have instead undertaken 5-7' cockpit extensions.

All that said, it IS a 1979-built vessel. You need to satisfy yourself that it is well-priced, because that is 'old' by most standards.

Good luck...and please post again when you have inspected her.

Aquabelle,
Very reasonable assessment, I appreciate the points. I too think it's a bit overpriced for the age, but I'm kind of looking at the comments mentioned to help me assess a reasonable (what would I give scenario) for this boat. Again, many thanks for your time.

Scott and Malina

Bnoft,

"the faux marble panels would need to go." The admiral's sediments exactly...lol! I can appreciate a change in that area too.

Thanks for your feedback as well.

Scott and Malina

I might be a little biased, but I too like the looks and layout of Mk 1's! A few things changed from '79 to late '81 when mine was built but much is the same and it works pretty well. Basically it is a lot of boat for the money. I believe 98 were built. Many have had a 5 ft cockpit extension, which I'm still thinking of doing. It fixes one of the few drawbacks.

Free standing salon furniture is a real plus, although I think you would be able to do better than Merlion exhibits. It is a very straightforward process to furnish to your own taste, and get much better comfort than the fixed bench seats that are all too common.

The big cost items for Mk 1's are replacing fuel tanks, and to a lesser extent engines and electrical installation. Merlion's tanks have been redone so that should not be an issue at all, and other work at the time was extensive and made sense. I did the same kind of stuff when I replaced my tanks. It costs quite a bit, and was some years ago for Merlion but the ER still looks pretty tidy. I think its pricing is pretty good based on description and pics. The flybridge looks a bit weird to me, and I guess that's one of the things that they did a little better in later builds.

When I re-powered I used John Deere at 201HP. The Cat 3208N's are very similar HP. I can get to 11 kn, and usually cruise between 8-9 kn. Originally my boat had 270 HP Cummins V8's each side and would do 16 kn. But it was stern heavy, and needed trim tabs fully extended. It really needed more power in my view. I went for less power during refit as I was happy with displacement speeds. So, should you want to go faster speed, and if the those Cat naturals are able to be turbo'ed to 375HP, then it is possible with the hull shape to get near 20kn I would think. The drawback of V8's is that it is very tight on the outboard side of the engines.

If you have any specific questions after you have had a look at the boat I'm happy to share info. There are some other TF members who also have Mk 1's also.

Edit: Saw some other posts made whilst I was typing. Yes, teak decks will need work if not already done. Not a big deal in my view, not that expensive in the overall scheme of things. Windows should not be an issue at all, unlike some other TT's.

And yes, faux marble and other cosmetic catastrophes will need sorting or updating. Easy.

Brian,
Thanks to you as well for taking the time to provide your points to consider, very helpful. I agree 100% with your thought process.

Scott and Malina

To accomplish the likely refit tasks, I come up with some significant dollars and time and you still have a very old boat. In the US choices are many on newer, similar and priced right vessels. Not so much in Australia where Insequent and Aquabelle are located.

Me? I'd keep looking. Ten years ago I looked very hard at three Mark Is. Great boats in many respects. They all suffered from the above mentioned issues. Saw a wooden knock off built in the early 2000s. Goes to show how popular these vessels were and still are.

I'll not bore you with newer alternatives, but if you are still looking raise that question. Nothing the matter with looking far and wide, and you may well come back to the Mark I.

To accomplish the likely refit tasks, I come up with some significant dollars and time and you still have a very old boat. In the US choices are many on newer, similar and priced right vessels. Not so much in Australia where Insequent and Aquabelle are located.

Me? I'd keep looking. Ten years ago I looked very hard at three Mark Is. Great boats in many respects. They all suffered from the above mentioned issues. Saw a wooden knock off built in the early 2000s. Goes to show how popular these vessels were and still are.

I'll not bore you with newer alternatives, but if you are still looking raise that question. Nothing the matter with looking far and wide, and you may well come back to the Mark I.

Very true! Thanks for the perspective. Interesting about the decks a few folks have pointed out, I never noticed until I re-looked. Only topside (bridge and forward decks) had been painted/coated over. Will be interesting to see it in person.

Scott and Malina

BTW, replacing the 'dramatic' marble-look panels in the heads would be one of the least costly and easier DIY projects to tackle. Mind you, you may conclude they're part of the character of the boat from 1979!

I know nothing about old OA's but that yacht broker sure knows how to make a listing, lots of pictures and a good description. Looks like a well cared for boat. Much rather have the 3208's than DD's that are in some. Formica in heads needs to go.

I agree with about 95% of everything that has been written. She is an old boat with a lot of old components that are outdated and will have to be addressed. IMO, the price is too high for that vintage.......

Having said that...I have always "loved" this model! I see a lot of them in S.E. Alaska and they appear to be a great cruising boat!

So, If I vote with my head, I'd say the refit is going to be really expensive!

If I vote with my heart & I was a die hard cruiser, I would make an offer below the asking price & get a boat that I really love!:blush:

I know nothing about old OA's but that yacht broker sure knows how to make a listing, lots of pictures and a good description. Looks like a well cared for boat. Much rather have the 3208's than DD's that are in some. Formica in heads needs to go.

Very true...I know nothing about them OAs either, but I plan to post what I learn from the visit.

Scott and Malina

Crikey, if the faux marble formica or laminate in the wet rooms is all you guys can come up with as a major criticism, then you are damned hard to please, and speaks volumes about how well she has been looked after, and originally fitted and finished. To me, compared to mine when I bought her, this boat is fantastic..!

Crikey, if the faux marble formica or laminate in the wet rooms is all you guys can come up with as a major criticism, then you are damned hard to please, and speaks volumes about how well she has been looked after, and originally fitted and finished. To me, compared to mine when I bought her, this boat is fantastic..!

Peter,
I'm with you on that. I mean I don't like the formica either, but I still have it in my dirt home too...lol! Not the marble faux, but formica none-the-less.

I think she's a good looking boat as well, but as you may agree, pictures often paint a different picture than the real McCoy. In any case, I appreciate all of the feedback from everyone, again I plan to let everyone know what I find/see.

Scott and Malina

Definitely a beauty! Being kept in a boathouse makes a huge difference. My MT34 was kept in a covered slip until I bought her. A few years out in the elements took a serious toll on her. All the leaks became apparent quickly.

Scott

Be alert. Internet shopping for very old boats and suggestions from us who are likewise in the dark can lead to expectations that cloud judgement.

Reports as to tanks and motors being replaced should keep in mind when was this work done. IMHO 3700 hour out of date engines and potentially leaky teak decks dripping on replaced tanks can be viewed as minuses rather than pluses.

Along the lines of Walt and if the vessel passes muster, suggest you price out the minuses and make your offer accordingly.

Scott

Be alert. Internet shopping for very old boats and suggestions from us who are likewise in the dark can lead to expectations that cloud judgement.

Reports as to tanks and motors being replaced should keep in mind when was this work done. IMHO 3700 hour out of date engines and potentially leaky teak decks dripping on replaced tanks can be viewed as minuses rather than pluses.

Along the lines of Walt and if the vessel passes muster, suggest you price out the minuses and make your offer accordingly.

No worries, I appreciate the warning, but the broker knows clearly that this is a "look only" situation. I'm not in the position to buy right now being overseas and all. I really need to see what these OAs look and feel like in person. I like this vintage and later 80s MK1 models, but I've not had the opportunity to view one in person. I just wanted some perspectives from fellow MK1 OA owners. So, "internet shopping" will have to do. Trawlerfests and boat shows will have to wait until we return sometime next year.

In any case, I'll share what I see on this one in case others are curious about her.

Scott and Malina

Well, I’ve just returned a few days ago from looking at the OA 50 Mk 1 mentioned in my first post. Firstly, I want to say I had an absolute wonderful time during my visit to Atlantic Yacht Basin. For those that don’t know, it’s an old yard, approximately 80 years old and family run from what I understand. Really a neat place! Not only is broker Bob Starr an absolute, spot-on great person, he completely understood and supported my idea of getting out and looking at these boats before committing to them. So, he cut me loose on the OA and a few others….a Mainship 42, Nordic Tug 37 and a GB 42 (which I absolutely loved). I really liked the OA 50. I think it’s a very good boat, both mechanically and from what I was able to take in, cosmetically as well. I did have some reservations about the engine room access and size. I would like a bit more overhead, I’m not getting any younger. Additionally, I cannot even imagine getting to the outboard side of those Cats, I think a pair of in-line engines would make a world of difference, but it’s a very nice and clean and well maintained engine room. Overall, I liked the boat and the layout, loved the raised pilothouse that was definitely a plus. It will go on my “to be considered” list. If anyone is interested in any details, let me know and I can try and give you my perspective.
Many thanks for all of your inputs. It was good to see it in person and get a “feel” for the OA 50, I think she’s a well laid out boat.
Scott and Malina

Last edited:
Glad there were no nasty surprises when looking at the OA. I used to have V8's in mine, but now with inline 6's I can get both hands outboard of the engines. Its not often you need to get there though, and if you can't fit then just hire a skinny little mech for the job! More room in the ER would be nice but I would not give up space anywhere else to achieve it. I have carpet on the ER floor, easy on knees and to slide around as required.

A while back I checked the market for these boats, and given you have not yet drawn attention to any major issues I would stand by my earlier view that the broker has it priced about right. You get a lot of boat, admittedly old boat, for the money.

Glad there were no nasty surprises when looking at the OA. I used to have V8's in mine, but now with inline 6's I can get both hands outboard of the engines. Its not often you need to get there though, and if you can't fit then just hire a skinny little mech for the job! More room in the ER would be nice but I would not give up space anywhere else to achieve it. I have carpet on the ER floor, easy on knees and to slide around as required.

A while back I checked the market for these boats, and given you have not yet drawn attention to any major issues I would stand by my earlier view that the broker has it priced about right. You get a lot of boat, admittedly old boat, for the money.

Agreed on all points! I appreciate your thoughts. I kinda wish I was in a position to get serious, but I'll have to wait.

Scott & Malina

Back
Top Bottom