Replacement macerater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Capstan

Vessel Name
Bad Monkey
Vessel Make
Gulf Star 43
Anyone know what the new pump is for the below macerator?
Went to the store with the old numbers but did not have a pic of old pump with meand they weren't sure, and now back on the island!.
One of the pumps came out easy and the other the Black part is still in.
Is there an easy way to get it out?

Attachments

• IMG_0816.jpg
    IMG_0816.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 91
  • Heads (1).jpg
    Heads (1).jpg
    118 KB · Views: 80
  • Heads (2).jpg
    Heads (2).jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 87
  • Heads (3).jpg
    Heads (3).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 85
Your toilet is a Jabsco 37010 electric sea water toilet...it's still in production. Here's the instruction "manual" for it that includes the exploded drawing and parts list. The part you need is # 31 in the drawing on page 3: http://www.xylemflowcontrol.com/files/37010_43000-0612.pdf

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

I rebuilt mine.
The little rubber shaft seal failed.
The motor failed, locked up with rust since the shaft seal failed. I did clean out the rust, oiled motor, cleaned up the brushes and it worked again.
The rubber impeller failed.
The pump to body O-ring gasket failed.
The set screw failed on the bronze macerator. That was hard to get apart.
I noticed the bronze macerator is getting thin due to corrosion,
The base cracked, failed and leaked because the dummies who put them together, do not use anti seize or grease on the bolts holding pump to the cheap plastic base. So naturally, removing the screws, they do not come out, the metal insert spin in the base. The inserts corroded, swell up, and crack the plastic, then it leaks.
I soldered the plastic base back together, of course the large pump O-ring no longer seals, so I used Permatex black gasket maker. anyway it has worked again for the last year.

My Jabsco toilet was only a few years old when it started to leak.
That cruddy weak plastic base is like $100 from what I recall.
These heads are very noisy but they do work.

A weller solder gun can melt and reform plastic.

Oh, and the joker valve goes in the outlet. Mine looks ok, but I think it leaks back a little, so yeah that is also failed, but I still use it.
And the lid, the plastic hinge failed, The plastic is actually disintegrating, forming tiny cracks.
The cheap plastic tube clamp for the bowl rinse broke.
the best thing about this toilet is the porcelain bowl. Mine is still perfect.
I do get some rust stains on the bowl nuts or washers that attach bowl to base.

I am honestly surprised the seat has not cracked yet and the paint looks good. That is likely just painted particle board. Oh yeah, the wimpy plastic seat standoff supports have split, cracked and broken.

Last edited:
I rebuilt mine.
The little rubber shaft seal failed.
The motor failed, locked up with rust since the shaft seal failed. I did clean out the rust, oiled motor, cleaned up the brushes and it worked again.
The rubber impeller failed.
The pump to body O-ring gasket failed.
The set screw failed on the bronze macerator. That was hard to get apart.
I noticed the bronze macerator is getting thin due to corrosion,
The base cracked, failed and leaked because the dummies who put them together, do not use anti seize or grease on the bolts holding pump to the cheap plastic base. So naturally, removing the screws, they do not come out, the metal insert spin in the base. The inserts corroded, swell up, and crack the plastic, then it leaks.
I soldered the plastic base back together, of course the large pump O-ring no longer seals, so I used Permatex black gasket maker. anyway it has worked again for the last year.

My Jabsco toilet was only a few years old when it started to leak.
That cruddy weak plastic base is like $100 from what I recall.
These heads are very noisy but they do work.

A weller solder gun can melt and reform plastic.

Oh, and the joker valve goes in the outlet. Mine looks ok, but I think it leaks back a little, so yeah that is also failed, but I still use it.
And the lid, the plastic hinge failed, The plastic is actually disintegrating, forming tiny cracks.
The cheap plastic tube clamp for the bowl rinse broke.
the best thing about this toilet is the porcelain bowl. Mine is still perfect.
I do get some rust stains on the bowl nuts or washers that attach bowl to base.

I am honestly surprised the seat has not cracked yet and the paint looks good. That is likely just painted particle board. Oh yeah, the wimpy plastic seat standoff supports have split, cracked and broken.
:popcorn::facepalm:

Personally, I'd $hit can those heads and get something better.

Budget, Budget, Budget, and Budget.
I'll do one to start and see how it goes over the rest of the year. We wont be using the boat much during this period.

In that case, this would be a good time to upgrade to a Raritan SeaEra "conversion." SeaEra Conversion Kit The SeaEra was purposely designed to be an identical replacement for the Jabsco 37010...even the mounting bolt patterns are a match. Practical Sailor rated the SeaEra "best budget macerating electric toilet a couple of years ago. Price should be comparable to the Jabsco replacement.

We have a Jabsco Quiet Flush, freshwater, electric, macerating... similar but not identical to the one pictured...

And FWIW, replacing the pump is fairly easy, I think it was 15 minutes work since I had decent access to the area. Wouldn't bother to try to rebuild an original; that would have been messier, if nothing else. I reckon I got my money's worth from the first one after approx. 12 years of service life. A new pump doesn't cost an arm and a leg...

-Chris

Peggie makes a good suggestion. The Sea Era conversion will use the Jabsco bowl but it uses a quieter diaphragm pump instead of the rubber impeller the Jabsco uses.
Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit - 16LI012
Free delivery to Ft. Lauderdale if I can get a tour of the boat! That goes for the Jabsco pump as well.

Peggie makes a good suggestion. The Sea Era conversion will use the Jabsco bowl but it uses a quieter diaphragm pump instead of the rubber impeller the Jabsco uses.
Raritan Sea Era Conversion Kit - 16LI012
Free delivery to Ft. Lauderdale if I can get a tour of the boat! That goes for the Jabsco pump as well.

Hi Parks I see you don't get in till around 14:00. Smart:thumb:

I will try calling you again this afternoon in regards to a few things one of them being an Electro scan.

That's true but I am posting on silly forums and answering emails from home before I go in! Talk to you later.

Back
Top Bottom