GB32 Wood. First Haul out What to expect?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A few more photos. All in all it doesnt "look" bad. I have attached a few more photos.

One thing I noticed is that the worst sections (worst as defined by missing/chipping paint) were all at the water line. Why is that?

Attachments

• PortBowLookingAft.jpg
    PortBowLookingAft.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 74
  • PortBowGarboard.jpg
    PortBowGarboard.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 73
  • StarboardKeelLookingForward.jpg
    StarboardKeelLookingForward.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 67
  • Prop.jpg
    Prop.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 59
Bottom paint is designed to be wet. Chipping and pealing at the waterline is fairly common on woodies. You can relocate the boot stripe so less of the bottom paint is exposed to air or just touch it up during your annual haul out and inspection.

Last year we changed from black to blue bottom paint. Sure altered the look of our boat!

Bob

With respect to zincs on non-conductive surfaces: they're useless unless bonded to, connected to, wired to, the metals they're supposed to protect.

With respect to bonding: there's still chatter about whether it's best to bond all the underwater metal or not. My guess is that if the boat lives at a dock it's necessary due to the risk of stray currents, and not so important if the boat is a long distance from others and does not have its own problems with stray currents.

With respect to paint failure at the waterline: bottom paint is not made for not being immersed; topside paint is not made to be immersed. That boottop area is neither fish nor fowl and is hard to keep painted, let alone successfully repaint, on any boat.

Lovely boat! Have her surveyed by someone who knows wood. Wood boats are maintainable, repairable structures but you have to stay aware of their needs and plan ahead. (There was a lovely wood Egg Harbor in our marina whose only failure was shabby frame heels; sad to see her going in a dumpster for, what?, 1% of the wood?)

It's hard to tell in your pictures the actual condition, most boats look good while they are wet. I think see blisters in the paint along the bottom near the worm wood. Don't be afraid to take a awl andf poke around at any thing that looks questionable. It looks like they may have started sanding, you should be able to see if the boat has been refastened. There will be twice as many screws in every plank, they will be doubled up next to each other. If this is not the case have the yard try and pull a couple of screws. They may come out as thin noodles or just crumble in place, the heads breaking off. If this the case you will have to refasten the bottom. Bronze screws are good for 20 to 40 years or so. Big range of time. A lot of wood boat sink because of failed fasteners.

Ablated paint washes off the waterline from wave action against the side of the hull. That's what I've been told. My painter always puts extra coats on the waterline. Hope you have a good inspection-Love the woodies.

There is always paint left over from a bottom job.

It is usually used up within the first foot or two of the waterline as that is where the most fouling is.

From the photos she looks to be well maintained and generally in good shape.

Yo will want to investigate and repair the water intrusion (blackenning seen in the photo) in the starboard side of the tramson. Check the soundness of both the tramson and the hull planks around these corners as they can be problematic in wooden Grand Banks.

As mentioned above, in the Grand Banks forum there is huge knowledge base specifically on wooden GBs like yours:
IAGBO :: Index

attachment.php

Last edited:
I thought I would post some final pictures from the haul out and bottom painting just to finish this off.

All in all my first haul out experience went well but with a few lessons learned for next time. When I started I was under the impression that I was not allowed to work in the yard so I lost time where I could have been doing some interior work in the bilge and other places. Also I let the yard do the transom. I was not particularly impressed with how it came out but its much better than before.

I appreciate all the input. While the boat was in the yard I frequently came back to your posts to review what I should be doing/looking for. One thing I was really happy about is the hull seemed to be very tight and in excellent shape. The boat yard was impressed. Also we pulled a number of fasteners in the standard spots and they were also in great shape. So I think I may have dodged a bullet on that issue.

Attachments

• StarboardPostPaint.jpg
    StarboardPostPaint.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 91
  • PortSideFront.jpg
    PortSideFront.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 122
  • StarBBowCloseUp.jpg
    StarBBowCloseUp.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 92
  • PortBowGarborandUp.jpg
    PortBowGarborandUp.jpg