Californian LRC38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Looking at an ad for a 1975 38LRC. Twin Perkins T6-354. Engine hours are 3502 and 3408. Are these Perkins good engines? What amount of hours becomes too much? I've always had twin gas on my boat.

Overall they're very nice boats. With twin engines, nearly a 14' beam and low center of gravity, a great all around boat for coastal cruising and inland waters. I might add, it's also a very stable fishing platform if that's your thing.

The T6-354 is a long lived engine and parts are still readily available. The exhaust system for the turbo charged version is available in cast iron from Barr and several after market sources. The 6-354 NA exhaust manifolds are pricy, custom built by MESA Marine. They are not interchangeable as they have a different bolt patterns to the block and exhaust riser. I've replaced both of mine with stainless from MESA. Same with the exhaust rises.

I've seen 6-354's with more hours than that, still performing quite well. Usually these engines die from poor maintenance and neglect, before they wear out. I would definitely insist on an engine survey by a diesel mechanic who is familiar with Perkins engines.

Best of Luck
Larry B

Last edited:
I also have the ST6.3544Ms in my 34. They have approx 3500 hrs and seem to be in very good order. We bought with 3200 hrs last spring. the last two of the three (or four) former owners were changing oil every 50 hours which is overkill, but nice to know since I don't know what oils were used. It has been a fresh water boat, so, fingers crossed... the aluminum manifolds are intact to this point. I am curious about the Barr cast iron system, as I want to be somewhat at least - prepared.

...and I am hoping someone will see 10K-20K hours out of these babies.

HT6-354 Rebuilt at 20,000hrs and could have gone much longer but I'm a little picky.

Attachments

• ENGINE 1.jpg
    ENGINE 1.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 100
Nice! What is the HT designation? - Same block I presume?

Nice! What is the HT designation? - Same block I presume?

Note: In Boatpokers pic his engine is laying on it's side and the starter, turbo and heat exchanger are all on what would be the port side of a vertical engine.

Attachments

• Perkins designation.jpg
    Perkins designation.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom