How big is too big?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Art and Walt are exactly right. I think another factor is the person/couple's level of experience. Until you actually have used and owned a boat in the waters that you will be cruising, you really don't know the answers to those questions. You might think you know, but experience is the best teacher.

Ahhh Yes... Experience! An important part of the "boat-choosing-equation" that makes the correct choice of a boat much more possible to occur.

Talking about choosing the "correct" boat by you, or me, or Walt is slanted at best in regard to newbies trying to do the same thing. Cause they just don't/can't know what really makes the right boat "correct" to own... but we do!

I spoke with Friar George before he found his boat.... hope that helped.

BTW - Where is the good Friar. Haven't heard from him for months. RT might know??

There are far more factors than size though and all must be covered in a good list of requirements. Your requirements are not that "I must have a 50' boat." That's a way to meet certain requirements. Requirements are what the boat must do and be capable of and the objectives. Things like must sleep x, must have large galley up, must be seaworthy for trips outside and to the Bahamas, must be able to be handled by two, must have chairs, not ladders to the bridge, must have headroom in the Engine Room, must have 6'4" headroom in the cabins, must have at least 3 separate living areas for husband wife and daughter so we can have our own space when cruising if desired, must have a large pilothouse so the entire family can sit with the captain. This is how you get there.

Maybe we're slow learners but we owned two boats before we understood exactly what the perfect boat for us was.

Well, if I could afford it, I would buy Invictus (Caruso's 216' Burgess).

I might be willing to go in with you and 10 others to reserve a single day (at the low winter season rate) aboard Invictus so long as they don't fire up the engines or dip into the wine cellar :eek::blush::nonono:

Maybe we're slow learners but we owned two boats before we understood exactly what the perfect boat for us was.

Not necessarily slow learners, our needs change over time. The Catalina 36 I inherited was a great boat, but it wasn't perfect for us. Once we figured it out, we bought the Catalina 400 which was the perfect boat until I got old and decrepit.

Well, if I could afford it, I would buy Invictus (Caruso's 216' Burgess).

No, no, no...I can't believe that, sorry, Traveler. Because sometimes when I am dream building, I think what boat I would buy if money was no object, and the boat that springs to mind is one I could cruise the world in, live aboard, yet not so big as to be just over-the-top expensive to maintain, and I come up with a boat just like yours or twistedtree's. A Nordy 60 if I'm not mistaken. I know that's what Twisted has anyway. If I'm wrong about yours, I'm not far wrong, and it's your fault, because you have not completed your profile yet. :D

PS. Actually, looking at your avatar, you might not have wannabe front windows, so that's make it a 50 maybe..? No, might it be a 75 Yachtfisher..? Still just the ticket anyway.

Last edited:
I may be completely wrong Peter but believe MY Traveler is a Mikelson 75 sport fisher.

I COULDN'T AGREE MORE WITH THIS STATEMENT! THE REAL PROBLEM, HOWEVER, IS BEING BRUTALLY HONEST WITH ONE'S SELF AS TO THE REAL (HONEST) ANSWERS TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS. :angel:

Walt it would be difficult to find a truer statement.

People buy boats to fulfill a dream, but all too often its's not the boat that is the answer to the dream.

People think "if I only had a XXX boat I could do YYY" When in reality "YYY" isn't going to happen because of other reasons than a particular boat.

People need to look at their boating dreams and remove the non boating barriers, or their cruising dreams will never come true. Perhaps that is getting work out of the way, or getting a spouse onboard with your dreams, or a variety of issues.

YES! we need to be honest with ourselves as to the stage in life we are at, and the barriers to our dreams when picking a boat. Failure to do that will only result in disappointment.

Last edited:
No, no, no...I can't believe that, sorry, Traveler. Because sometimes when I am dream building, I think what boat I would buy if money was no object, and the boat that springs to mind is one I could cruise the world in, live aboard, yet not so big as to be just over-the-top expensive to maintain, and I come up with a boat just like yours or twistedtree's. A Nordy 60 if I'm not mistaken. I know that's what Twisted has anyway. If I'm wrong about yours, I'm not far wrong, and it's your fault, because you have not completed your profile yet. :D

PS. Actually, looking at your avatar, you might not have wannabe front windows, so that's make it a 50 maybe..? Still just the ticket though.

Thank you for the extreme compliment and I hope I didn't come off as not being happy with what I have. It's fun to dream, but in reality my boat (not a Nordhavn -- its a 64' Mikelson Nomad) is perfect for me and my needs. The fact is, I probably appreciate my boat more than Mr. Caruso appreciates his. -Rick (I will get on the profile.)

Size is complemented by good interior design. Many mid thirties ft boats have one entire side of the main cabin as galley, removing the "conversation" of some seating one side, and dining + seating the other side. Unlike my IG36, the IG32 is a good example of seating both sides(versions may vary from those I`ve seen).

My problem re boat size is "I like big butts and I cannot lie" as the song goes.
Sometimes you just have to get the boat that speaks to your heart,not saying it's going to be the right boat,but hey life is short you know.

Attachments

• Stern stb side.jpg
    Stern stb side.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 51
Thank you for the extreme compliment and I hope I didn't come off as not being happy with what I have. It's fun to dream, but in reality my boat (not a Nordhavn -- its a 64' Mikelson Nomad) is perfect for me and my needs. The fact is, I probably appreciate my boat more than Mr. Caruso appreciates his. -Rick (I will get on the profile.)

Ah, one of these - noice, really noice...that would indeed do the job.(Jeez I hate auto-correct sometimes)

https://au.boats.com/power-boats/2005-mikelson-nomad-lrcsf-5482213/#.VyXkrISgTzI

C'mon Powerball, roll for me... :D

Last edited:

I understand that every Mikelson Nomad except one (but including the one referenced above) is semi-custom, being built to suit an owner's personal preferences. I was able to go aboard most of the Nomads (including that one) before taking delivery of mine. There is a lot of variety among the 18 or so Nomads produced to date. One guy has a faux fireplace where the sliding salon door would normally be. The referenced boat doesn't have a real flybridge (something I considered essential, but haven't used as much as expected), and was one of the first with the tower. Admittedly, my tower isn't the work of art often found on nice sportfishers, but I like mine (in combination with a real flybridge) way more than the one referenced above (which, to me, looks like scaffolding).

Anyway, that boat has been for sale for quite some time, so I suspect it could be had at a substantial discount.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom