View Single Post
Old 04-30-2016, 08:15 AM   #14
2dboat
Veteran Member

City: Northwest Basin, Penetanguishene, ON.
Vessel Name: WAVELENGTH [formerly San-Bar]
Vessel Model: 1981 CHEER MEN PT 38 EUROPA
Lots of very good guidance above [except for the comment on chris craft construction maybe?].
Rule #1 get a reputable ''wood boat'' surveyor.
Don't buy a project boat. Buy the boat that was someones baby and that has been well cared for over the long haul.
Beware of the wood boat that has been only owned for a few seasons & ''restored by owner'' end then put up for sale again.
If possible find a covered slip it is worth the extra money when it comes to reducing maintenance.
I am in the process of buying a 1982 PT38 Cheer Men fiberglass trawler since I couldn't find a good wood trawler that fits the criteria above. I have no expectation that the maintenance on this glass trawler will be less than I had on the 1963 Chris Craft Constellation we sold. Case in point, with a wood hull you paint every five years and have a great shine. With glass hulls you spend every spring waxing and few 30+ year old boats polish up with a shine like a good coat of marine enamel. Chris Craft had varnished mahogany trim and a varnished transom, all of which if kept maintained is remarkably durable. All it took was a light sanding and one fresh maintenance coat per year. The glass trawler has teak trim, teak rails & teak decks etc., I know that the teak will be more work than the mahogany was.
Finally, we sold our Chris for close to our asking price and it was on the market for less than 1.5yrs which is better than many folks trying to sell newer glass gas powered cruisers the same size, so do not think if you buy a wood boat you'll have to give it away someday.
Buy the best one you can find and keep her that way - enjoy.
2dboat is offline   Reply With Quote