Opencpn/gps issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
PS just tried my BU353S4 on another vessel on my marina all good so I am at a total loss must have been a pirate in a previous life!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS just tried my BU353S4 on another vessel on my marina all good so I am at a total loss must have been a pirate in a previous life!!!!!!!!!!!!

Something is trying to tell you something...the question is what and by whom, and what about... :D

Join one of those windows forums seven, eight, ten I linked earlier and maybe they can help.
They have been helpful to me,

I have other associates using openCPN 4.2 without problems I dont believe it is my BU353 as functions perfectly so what the heck do I do now

1. In OpenCPN, under Tools->Options->Connections, what Data Connections does it show? How does that compare to the comm port configuration for the BU353 you see with Windows Device Manager?

2. Under Tools->Options->Connections, tick Show NMEA Debug Window. What does it show?

I think everyone's a little wrestles and cranky after the winder and that we all just need to go boating to clear all this up. What do you say? Boating, anyone?

I think everyone's a little wrestles and cranky after the winter and that we all just need to go boating to clear all this up. What do you say? Boating, anyone?

Hell yeah!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_7122.jpg
    IMG_7122.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
I am going to try an earlier version of OpenCPN and see if it makes a difference if not well!!!!!!! I only require it for coastal cruising these day and not offshore anymore so it's price suits my purpose

Tried OpenCPN 4 with same result. De Bug window shows nothing in script box but a chart showing colors for various catagories
Data connection shows correct comport ie as per GPS install.

For the record guys I got so dam bloody mined about not being able to solve this problem I went out and purchased a brand new Lenovo tablet with Windows 10 O/S and downloaded BU353S4 it works perfectly data flow and L&L changes as puck relocated time is correct as it date etc. I them installed OpenCPN 4.2 again plus charts all good however my problem as with the other laptop still exists. I have other associates using openCPN 4.2 without problems I dont believe it is my BU353 as functions perfectly so what the heck do I do now

So then maybe your windows OS has gone and corrupted itself. That does happen hundreds of thousands of times a day all over the world.

Tried OpenCPN 4 with same result. De Bug window shows nothing in script box but a chart showing colors for various catagories
Data connection shows correct comport ie as per GPS install.

In Tools->Options->Connections, try unchecking Enabled for your GPS connection, hit Apply, then check Enabled, and hit Apply again. (I have seen this resetting help with earlier versions of OpenCPN; I haven't had to do it for a while myself.)

If that doesn't work, I would (again in the Tools->Options->Connections window) do a Remove Connection on your GPS connection, and then do an Add Connection to recreate it from scratch. Make sure the Data Port and Baud Rate and Control Checksum are correct (matching what you see in Windows Device Manager), and that you aren't using any input filtering.

And then if that doesn't work, I'm out of ideas.

have you verified that the particular usb port works with anything else?

It worked fine on a new laptop he bought, read post 40.

How many times over the years I have had to reinstall windows. Hard drives do make mistakes, OS has bugs, power blips, files get corrupt, get deleted, things happen.

For the record guys I got so dam bloody mined about not being able to solve this problem I went out and purchased a brand new Lenovo tablet with Windows 10 O/S and downloaded BU353S4 it works perfectly data flow and L&L changes as puck relocated time is correct as it date etc. I them installed OpenCPN 4.2 again plus charts all good however my problem as with the other laptop still exists. I have other associates using openCPN 4.2 without problems I dont believe it is my BU353 as functions perfectly so what the heck do I do now

Okay, you bought a new laptop but did you transfer your data from the old laptop to the new laptop prior to installing OpenCPN 4.2? If so, it is possible OpenCPN saved your old files and one or more of them could be corrupted.

Last edited:
How big is the OpenCPN download file? I have multiple platforms available and was wondering if I could use it on a 8GB stick that I run Linux with?

In the middle of a bunch of legacy equipment that all still works. Old radar, old Garmin GPS, old KVN, autohelm, etc. The Garmin has a smaller screen that I struggle with, so I was looking for something that would work in my iPad.

Navionics seemed to be a good choice and it runs on IOS on my iPad2. Coupled to a Bad Elf Pro GPS, it is accurate and fast loading and Navionics is a decent interface. Still the screen is 9" which is OK but bigger is better hence my query about OpenCPN. Running it on a memory stick with Linux gives me several laptop choices.

Opinions between Navionics and OpenCPN?

It worked fine on a new laptop he bought, read post 40.

How many times over the years I have had to reinstall windows. Hard drives do make mistakes, OS has bugs, power blips, files get corrupt, get deleted, things happen.

He did ask to continue troubleshooting his original laptop. Maybe you should completely read #40, or #30 (his post). :)

How big is the OpenCPN download file? I have multiple platforms available and was wondering if I could use it on a 8GB stick that I run Linux with?

In the middle of a bunch of legacy equipment that all still works. Old radar, old Garmin GPS, old KVN, autohelm, etc. The Garmin has a smaller screen that I struggle with, so I was looking for something that would work in my iPad.

Navionics seemed to be a good choice and it runs on IOS on my iPad2. Coupled to a Bad Elf Pro GPS, it is accurate and fast loading and Navionics is a decent interface. Still the screen is 9" which is OK but bigger is better hence my query about OpenCPN. Running it on a memory stick with Linux gives me several laptop choices.

Opinions between Navionics and OpenCPN?

Look at Portable OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage to install a Portable version on an USB stick. Possible to install for both Linux as Windows.

Well I have pretty well given up downloaded and uninstalled both openCPN and BU many times with same result, GPS operating perfectly producing satellite location and data stream position given (L&L) spot on for position of GPS uninstalled OS (windows 10) in case original install having corrupted it's self downloaded OpenCPN V4 in case the error was in V4.2 did the whole process again on a brand new out of the box note book and still I am no further ahead.
Any advise on another system I should try I guess I gotta go the "pay way" tried downloading polarview however could not get NZ charts to load into it.

I have always found Navionics quite cheap and works well on iPad, and laptop with GPS plug-in. I love it on the iPad, but I would expect to to work well on a Notebook.

Last edited by a moderator:
tried downloading polarview however could not get NZ charts to load into it.

Where did you get the NZ charts and do the files have a .kap extension?

Also...you don't need local charts to see if the GPS is working. If the GPS works with PolarView, that'll tell you it's worthwhile getting the charts to install.

I am completely vexed!!!! downloaded polarview and without installing charts attached BU353 and ran. GPS producing data and the ship icon is sitting on my current position in Bay Of Islands NZ
My only conclusion is when down loading openCPN (V4 and 4.1.2) it is being corrupted but why on two different computers.
any reccommendations on which charts to purchase/download

New Zealand is one of the few countries that provides all their charts in digital form for free. You should be able to download the base set and the latest updates here:
http://www.linz.govt.nz/sea/charts/nzmariner-official-raster-navigational-charts-rncs

Look into the PolarView documentation about where those .bsb and .kap files need to be placed. Restart PV, and all the charts will be integrated and quilted together.

OK I give up and will trade boat for a set of golf clubs!!!!!!!!!!!
Once I downloaded charts to PolarView I am back to square one charts up, GPS producing data but nothing showning on screen!!!!!!!!!
This is just unbelievable musta be a bad boy in a previous life

Must be those NZ charts. :banghead:

I guess your only solution is to move to the northern Hemisphere. :facepalm:

Yep an option I guess but aint gonna leave paradise and anyhoo would need nav programme as have not used a sextant in nearly 20 years!!!!!!!!!

I run on the boat pc linux mint and OpenCPN for linux.
Some time ago, windows got boring, and I wanted to learn a new OS.
Today both Linux Mint, and Ubuntu OS are easy to use, you can dual boot Linux or windows on the same PC.

Describe in detail what you did starting with downloading to install the charts.

Have you read the PolarView documentation?

I agree. There has to be a fix. You must have omitted one tiny but vital step in the process. There is no way you can have such a unique issue and there be no solution. If anyone can work it out for you, AC above might be that person, but you will need to detail all your steps. We won't mind. We all learn a new thing every day.

Once I downloaded charts to PolarView I am back to square one charts up, GPS producing data but nothing showning on screen!!!!!!!!!
This is just unbelievable must a be a bad boy in a previous life

This is why I think the $300 spent on Coastal Explorer is a cheap investment. Your time is worth something, if not in actual $$, in emotional distress.

Perhaps download and try CE. It's a free trial, and your NZ charts should work just fine.

This is just unbelievable musta be a bad boy in a previous life

I wonder if could be a video card driver issue?
And how powerful video system does laptop have?
Does it meet minimum requirements to work, nav programs throw up a lot of graphics on the display.
Seven, eight, Ten windows forums, the people are helpful and might get answers as to what is going on.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom