The start of a nice project (clipper 30ft)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Erik,
That is first rate!! Thanks for posting all the great pics. What a resource!

Erik,
Looks terrific.
Hope mine comes up nearly as well.
Hey aren't the Frannas a great crane, so flexible.

Benn

Poor girl ... completely naked, all stripped ... ready for the primer .... see you after the make-over ....

-- Edited by shipshape on Saturday 26th of February 2011 04:49:08 AM

Attachments

• dsc02087.jpg
    dsc02087.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 114
I love how you are NOT wasting any time on these projects! Looks like yours is getting painted same time as mine is.

Erik, knowing the magic Bruce and his guys can perform, I can say now she is going to look really terrific - better than new even - when he is done with her.

Erik, if you don't mind me asking, how much does the paint job work out to be. we are thinking of getting some major work done on our IG 36 and have been advised we would be better off taking it up to the Gold Coast because of the differential in the costs between Sydney and Qld, despite the 800k/m round trip.

Andy
That's nearly like how long is a piece of string.
What work do you require to be done paint wise.
Complete sand back and preparation.
Sand down and you do the prep.
My last paint job on Tidahapah...Lawries Marina Mooloolaba.

<a href="http://www.ashbyboatbuilders.com.au/">http://www.ashbyboatbuilders.com.au/
</a>Done by Adam Ashby cost me 7K
Remember this was a timber boat so was not going to last 15 years so work and prep was done in accordance with requirements.
Fiberglass boat done in Awlgrip or Stirling or equiv by Int would probably be around 25k hull and superstructure.
36' probably less.
Not sure what Gold Coast marina costs would be but usually a bit more than up here.
We are only a couple hrs steaming north of GC.
Any how just to give you some idea.

Benn

Erik,* She looks good.

Interesting modification you have done with the anchor platform.

Did she come with the opening in the bow?

Is that common in your area?

What are the advantages?

Can't wait to see the finshed images.

JohnP

Attachments

• dsc02087.jpg
    dsc02087.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 103
Hi John,No I don't think it's common .... but as she didn't have an proper electric winch, we wanted to put one one, the anchor went over a high sitting bowsprit and a Samson post it was hard to put one in. We needed to build a proper anchor well .... so we decided to build the well, put the platform straight on the deck, and make a hole in the bow .... was scary ... I hope it works and that I don't get much water in it through there .....

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 2nd of March 2011 03:54:01 PM

Attachments

• dsc01970.jpg
    dsc01970.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 99
  • dsc01925.jpg
    dsc01925.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 102
  • dsc01153.jpg
    dsc01153.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 113
  • dsc01149.jpg
    dsc01149.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 108
  • p3200040.jpg
    p3200040.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 123
Erik,* That is a gutzy alteration.* I doubt if you will ship much water your bow should be pretty bouyant.

You may have hit upon a new design idea.*

When you start using it,* let us know how you like it.

Do you boat in your area all year round?

JohnP

If I ever die and come back to earth as an old worn out trawler in need of a new lease on life, I hope Erik is my owner!!!

Awesome work.

Thanks for the info Ben, I was thinking of a paint job in the medium term as well as cutting out the original fuel tanks, which I anticipate to be a truly horrible job, very labour intensive.By the way anyone know the distance by sea from Sydney to your part of the world?

Erik, as John said, you may have just come up with the first major design change to the Clipper(CHB) in 30 odd years. Does anyone know of a trawler style boat that incorporates the anchor through the bow? Great stuff, following your project with interest.

Andy,
Sydney to Gold Coast seaway is approx 550 miles.
I will check on my plotter when I get back to the boat on the weekend.
Lots of good drop in spots on the way north also.
Must do the trip myself one day and explore the Clarence River.
Benn

Andy, when I had the first quote from the same paint shop Erik is having his done by, due to a misunderstanding, he quoted for the whole vessel, top to bottom, as it were, and it was by memory some $17-18k. When he revised it to just the hull from boot top, (that's from the antifoul line), to the gunwhale, it was $7400. Does that help?

Gee I live in an expensive part of the world
ashamed.gif

Looks like they are still paying for it.
Benn

-- Edited by Tidahapah on Thursday 3rd of March 2011 04:27:55 PM

Sneak preview .....

we will reveal the new ShipShape next weekend !!!!

-- Edited by shipshape on Saturday 5th of March 2011 04:09:37 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Saturday 5th of March 2011 04:12:00 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Saturday 5th of March 2011 04:13:25 AM

Attachments

• dsc02105.jpg
    dsc02105.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 96
  • dsc02110.jpg
    dsc02110.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 98
  • dsc02111.jpg
    dsc02111.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 100
Erik,* Glad you did the dark-- Looks awesome!

JohnP

Yeah.....white is soooo last week......

Maybe we should have a concourse(not sure if the correct spelling)*award as they do in car clubs. We could call it the 'Erik'

Actually, we could have a few different awards, named after some the characters in the forum.

The boat that always steers to the right award

The black smoke boat award*

The dodgy engine award award

The biggest prop award

etc*
wink.gif

It has been a while hey .....

So probably are thinking ... what happened with Erik and shipshape? **

Well I haven't forgotten to update the forum .... we just had a few hickups and problems ... we found some rot in the back half of the cabin ... The admiral removed the old carpet so it could be replaced ... and she took the timber with it .... all rot ... the cabin was held together with the fibreglass, paint and carpet ...

But ... nothing is a problem ... we decided to cut out all the timber that had it ... and replace by new ... from the inside out .. a bit tricky as we didn't want to damage the outside fibreglass ... also the ceiling was a bit of rot in it ... that's where the water leaked in .... we of course fixed the leak first (it had a damaged drain hole on the flybridge that caused this damage over the years.

Photos attached as usual .....*

and now it's getting ready .... it's out of the shed ... sitting on the hard for another couple of days ... and then we'll throw here in the water ... that's when the real photos will be taken ....

Talk soon

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 03:29:18 AM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 03:00:22 PM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 03:07:16 PM

-- Edited by shipshape on Wednesday 30th of March 2011 03:09:22 PM

Attachments

• dsc02250.jpg
    dsc02250.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 118
  • dsc02247.jpg
    dsc02247.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 113
  • dsc02233.jpg
    dsc02233.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 129
  • dsc02180.jpg
    dsc02180.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 121
  • dsc02259.jpg
    dsc02259.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 118
  • dsc02208.jpg
    dsc02208.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 132
  • dsc02236.jpg
    dsc02236.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 120
  • dsc02287.jpg
    dsc02287.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 136
Lookin' good Erik and Bridget. Maybe we should link up for your/our 1st trip out, just in case one of us has an issue. Mine has just had new engine parts installed, and your quite a bit more than that. That way we could tow each other back if one konks out. Surely it wouldn't happen to both at once......could it....? When do you think you'll splash, as they say. Also, where will you moor her? Oh yes, got the rest of my engine painted last weekend just after you were over.

Carl,

The walls will be a grey carpet and the ceiling white vinyl. *Same as the v-berth, we are doing with vinyl.

Attachments

• dsc02187.jpg
    dsc02187.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 112
Hoi Peter,

Yep sounds good, think "we'll splash" this Friday, maybe Monday.....

Not sure which berth we will have ....

Like to come and look at the painted engine ......

Are you happy with your wind power? Did you install yourself?

Erik, Yep been there myself. Beautiful boat though. I can see why you spent the Bucks and time.

SD

shipshape wrote:

*.... for the ceiling, we made boards (2400 mm x 600 mm) with a 10mm gap between them, and are lined with vinyl off the boat. Then attached in the boat with high strength velcro.

Eric, Interesting way to do an accessible headliner.* How did you attach the velcro to the panels?

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Thursday 31st of March 2011 01:14:00 PM

I'm not nuts about dark hulled boats but Erick's boat is stunning. I hav'nt even looked at the dark hull thread but seeing the picture of Erick's boat makes me think of my old Buick. I wonder if the same principals or elements about hull color apply to old cars. I'm quite sure my old Buick (see pic) would look better in black. One thing to think about is how well the dark vehicle will look over time. My Buick has the original paint and anywhere up close it shows but if it were black original paint I think it would look noticeably worse. I've seen good pictures of Walt's boat and it's stunning too but what will it look like after it's had the use and age of my off-white 1974 Willard. Trawlers have big issues with time and money relationships. When a trawler is bought new the buyer has more than enough money to keep his trawler in fuel no matter how far he goes or how much throttle he uses. BUT most all of us that own trawlers own old trawlers because ther'e old and cheap AND we can afford (or almost afford) to pay the fuel bill and almost go as far as we would like. Builders could build trawlers that burn half as much fuel per ton of disp as my Willard but people buying new trawlers don't need to care so until economy becomes important to THEM*** ... more efficient trawlers will not come to pass. Trawlers will continue to be built for the people that buy them new with no consideration for the owners 25yrs down the road and I'm not saying how bad this is but how certain it is. So it's up to us to change them (when it's cost effective) so they are better suited to our needs. So far pulling the throttles back and painting much of the teak has been the only widespread change or modification/s made by many or most trawler owners but I predict much greater efforts will be made in the near future.

Attachments

• sth71056.jpg
    sth71056.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 107

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom