Remember Galaxy Girl ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What's the big deal?

Somebody without experience buys a big old boat. spends lots of money on it. takes kids on a memorable journey, tries winter aboard in Boston, decides it is not her ideal life and cuts losses.

People come and go from boating all the time, often making similar expensive choices. She was more decisive than most and went through the cycle much faster than most.

Yeah, some people here seem to have an odd definition of failure.

Max

You could not be more right. In this age of Facebook, Twitter, Kardashians, Jenners etc she has accomplished her goals and moved on to the next episode and chapter. GG has kept us all back biting and riveted.

I'd bet there will be more to follow. I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

:thumb:......

Might just be the post of the day...:D

"For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business."

Well for me this thread explained a whole lot. :)

I think she had great taste in boats and how to furnish them. She could easily do that as a business. That boat was homey inside.

That was what she did in business. Bought torn up houses and rehabbed and flipped them. The people she had do the work inside the boat were the same ones she'd used for that. Her plan was always to do the rehab once she got to Boston. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she made money on the sale, if we're talking selling price vs. purchase price plus cost of improvements. You can't talk all the money spent on the boat as the rest was for cruising. I'd guess the cabinetry and counters and fixtures cost her about 1/3 of what similar would cost most of us. That's also why it looks very much like what you'd have in a house. It's designed by a house flipper.

Maybe next she'll have a reality television show flipping houses or boats.

One final observation. I think she is one who enjoys planning and organizing something more than sometimes the end result. It's like the free house she bought, I think the joy was in proving it could be rehabbed and then rented. Once rented, I'd guess she was bored by it. I think she really enjoyed planning the boat purchase, looking at boats, studying costs. Her cost pages from her website are perhaps the most comprehensive collection of boating costs I've ever seen.

Cost to Live on a Boat? | The Crazy Chronicles: 5 Kids and a Boat

She's certainly not the first person to find the anticipation much more fun than the actual boating or living on a boat. That's why we have the old statement that buying a boat is the second happiest day of one's life, with selling it being the happiest. To us, that thought is something we can't fathom, intellectually understand, but emotionally we don't. I'd say though that at least 50% and probably more like 80% of first time boat buyers regret doing it.

What's the big deal?

Somebody without experience buys a big old boat. spends lots of money on it. takes kids on a memorable journey, tries winter aboard in Boston, decides it is not her ideal life and cuts losses.

People come and go from boating all the time, often making similar expensive choices. She was more decisive than most and went through the cycle much faster than most.

bayview,
I think "the big deal" is that a mere woman (with children) asked for advice from very experienced and wise (in their view) boatmen and then threw out the advice somewhat like trash and said boatmen were very offended.

When a lurker thinks of asking advice here he (or she) will remember this thread.

Plentry of lurkers are still coming foreward and I think most are plenty smart to see the issue...especially with the emphasis that it wasn't simple attitude....there's plenty of that here all the time....it was other things including responses to PMs that started the alienation.....

That's something some have seen to just blow by.

Last edited:
When a lurker thinks of asking advice here he (or she) will remember this thread.

I think the days of many lurkers coming out and asking anything in the forum modality of communication has passed its sell-by date.

The thread surrounding GG are perfect examples of the failures - not by her, but by the entrenched who continue to hang onto this type of communication. There is so much that GG could have taught people here to make this a better forum. But that ship wasn't allowed to sail or even get launched.

There was a similar thing that happened in the BBS world a decade+ ago when the world started to pass that by too. The thing is, that mode never reached the nasty, personal attack type of thing that forums always seem to move toward. There's likely a PhD thesis or two there.

Plentry of lurkers are still coming foreward and I think most are plenty smart to see the issue...especially with the emphasis that it wasn't simple attitude....there's plenty of that here all the time....it was other things including responses to PMs that started the alienation.....

That's something some have seen to just blow by.

And long before she ever got to the Hatteras.

Who is this Galaxy Girl???

According to her and her mother...the girl of your dreams....

Heck, she'll find you a good boat, make it a dream boat, live on it a tough winter and make you money next year when you sell it.

:D

I think the days of many lurkers coming out and asking anything in the forum modality of communication has passed its sell-by date.

The thread surrounding GG are perfect examples of the failures - not by her, but by the entrenched who continue to hang onto this type of communication. There is so much that GG could have taught people here to make this a better forum. But that ship wasn't allowed to sail or even get launched.

There was a similar thing that happened in the BBS world a decade+ ago when the world started to pass that by too. The thing is, that mode never reached the nasty, personal attack type of thing that forums always seem to move toward. There's likely a PhD thesis or two there.

If this forum sucks and all forums suck, why are you here???

And we have lurkers that come out and ask their first question/post every single day.

Who is this Galaxy Girl???

Wifey B: The model for Ford's Galaxie long ago, but a change in spelling?

A girl from another galaxy?

The girl in the world's highest stunt show? Part of Johnny Rockett's Cycle Circus.

Jeanette Claudine Romeu? http://www.galaxygirl.tv/

An eccentric alien girl who abducts a teenage human boy for space faring shenanigans and, ultimately, dissection? $2027 raised so far on kickstarter.

A girl in Minecraft?

The girl in Milky Way and the Galaxy Girls?

Tina Winn, who does gymnastics from the top of the Space Needle?

The dancers for the Missouri Comets?

I personally am glad Jeffrey S is here...even if he thinks this is harsh.

This is not a manufactures forum, but an open one and people have all kinds of reasons for slamming each other and businesses. Much like his own product, seeing both sides of the problem is good.

If he thinks it is the flavor of the forum that is toxic, he couldn't last a minute with the businessmen I work with. Their likes are not here because they don't have near the interaction with customers on the web as others....theirs is usually face to face when the bill is laid down or followup correspondence.

But like so many lightning rods....of course they get hit....the rest of the world just watches the storm go by.

GG WAS a lightning rod and how you view her purpose or existence in the world is how you perceive the other 99.999999999 percent of the world.

Last edited:
GG WAS a lightning rod and how you view her purpose or existence in the world is how you perceive the other 99.999999999 percent of the world.

I honestly did not follow most of it. Not her thread or this one. But, as a moderator, I do get called to the thread so I have to look. Personally, from what I read, I thought she was a breath of fresh air. But then again....I didn't read even 5% of the threads related to her.

And we have lurkers that come out and ask their first question/post every single day.

To market ActiveCaptain............

I honestly did not follow most of it. Not her thread or this one. But, as a moderator, I do get called to the thread so I have to look. Personally, from what I read, I thought she was a breath of fresh air. But then again....I didn't read even 5% of the threads related to her.

I thought and think she's entertaining. However, she then makes you worry about what she's jumping in to. I also think you come on a site with many questions and many new threads and talking one boat and then another, you have your own web site, and you have her personality (and I'm not saying that critically) then you're going to stir things up a bit so just roll with it. You can't be a celebrity and not get your name in the paper or tabloids. You can't self promote and then be unable to take criticism.

I found her a lot of fun, but then I had to think and worry about her plans and she and her kids. I remember just the agony of trying to convince her that she needed a captain. She finally listened to some things said. The one thing she didn't heed the warning on and really prepare for was the cold of Boston and the bitterness of conditions on the water. Perhaps if she'd had more time before winter, she could have better prepared for it.

She also went wild posting on Cruisers Forum and telling them how much nicer they were than here. Well, probably were. They tend to encourage risk taking and just say "go for it" and not question or present concerns. I think if a newcomer comes here, then as a group, we're irresponsible if we see them about to make mistakes and we don't question them. Just applauding her over and over wasn't going to help her. I was never much for "yes men." I didn't hire them. If we went through your job interview and you never once disagreed with me, I didn't want you. I'd say things that you should disagree with intentionally and even get more outlandish if they didn't. I'd say, "Don't you agree" and some would just say "yes sir" over and over. I figured if they and I were going to say the same thing, then one of us was superfluous and it sure wasn't going to be me.

Last edited:
I think there was a lot of basic misunderstanding in this thread.
Questions were asked, answers were given assuming a basic level of
knowledge. That knowledge was lacking. When re-questioned, or explanation
asked for, both query and response may have been too blunt and feelings
were hurt.

I followed the thread, I was looking fora boat and waiting for the house to
sell so that I could buy one.

My response to the thread was that I would not post until the deal was
done.

Ted

I will agree that there are TOO many grouchy know it all computer boaters here.
I asked a few questions and said never again! But I do stop by to read for entertainment. If I can add something I might offer, and expect 50% chance some one will call me out on some perceived mistake.

I'm a student of internet interactivity.

Like I said elsewhere, I'm also from Brooklyn and enjoy a good argument. The fact is, everyone who posts here likes it too - you would have left a long time ago otherwise.

I'm also underway offshore and like posting. Software development while moving is too hard to do.

I will agree that there are TOO many grouchy know it all computer boaters here.
I asked a few questions and said never again! But I do stop by to read for entertainment. If I can add something I might offer, and expect 50% chance some one will call me out on some perceived mistake.

THIS is the posting of the day. The owners of this forum should engrave it into stone and read it every day!

It just doesn't happen in other modalities with good moderation. What happens is more involvement from more people and less from a few who have nothing better to do. The moment you have a mode where few women contribute, you have a failed system. If women flock away, it's because it's too toxic and unfriendly and they typically won't put up with it. They are much smarter than most of us in communications.

...I was never much for "yes men." I didn't hire them. If we went through your job interview and you never once disagreed with me, I didn't want you. I'd say things that you should disagree with intentionally and even get more outlandish if they didn't. I'd say, "Don't you agree" and some would just say "yes sir" over and over. I figured if they and I were going to say the same thing, then one of us was superfluous and it sure wasn't going to be me.
You have to be careful with that approach. You may find an employee you like, but he or she may be put off by your outlandish beliefs! Remember that interviews are a two way shopping process. As an interviewee I need to feel I can respect my prospective manager.

Richard

To the question posed to me, "why are you here":
To market ActiveCaptain............

I'm sorry I missed this quip.

Seriously, is there anyone who falls upon these pages that isn't aware of ActiveCaptain and likely using it? OK, Mr Reiziger is part of the 5% who shun it and perhaps there are people who don't find it as useful. Gosh, even Coke only gets, at best, 50% of the market. They'd dream of having our marketshare. But if anything, my postings here don't help ActiveCaptain, do they? I've gotten multiple PMs from people here over years telling me how I'm hurting ActiveCaptain by my postings.

I'm really not here because of ActiveCaptain. I'm here because I've been a trawler cruiser for the last 13+ years on M/V aCappella. And heck, for the first time in those 13 years, we have a new purchase agreement on another boat that will require a fair amount of updating if all the surveys go through in May. It's a steel boat and I have nearly no steel experience but I'm sure there are a few here who do.

You have to be careful with that approach. You may find an employee you like, but he or she may be put off by your outlandish beliefs! Remember that interviews are a two way shopping process. As an interviewee I need to feel I can respect my prospective manager.

Richard

They aren't outlandish beliefs, they're wrong answers to business situations. I tell them soon I was just being a Devil's Advocate. But I'd ask hard questions anytime an employee made a proposal to me. They knew it so as a result they asked them all before talking to me. But once they showed they'd thought through it and could defend it, I'd not delay but just say, "Ok, go do it." If you can't accept having your ideas challenged, then we just won't work out. My record is that the people I hire do work out but one reason is my interview is challenging.

They aren't outlandish beliefs, they're wrong answers to business situations. I tell them soon I was just being a Devil's Advocate. But I'd ask hard questions anytime an employee made a proposal to me. They knew it so as a result they asked them all before talking to me. But once they showed they'd thought through it and could defend it, I'd not delay but just say, "Ok, go do it." If you can't accept having your ideas challenged, then we just won't work out. My record is that the people I hire do work out but one reason is my interview is challenging.
Fair enough. It sounds like they were treated with respect during the interview process.

Fair enough. It sounds like they were treated with respect during the interview process.

If they had no chance for the job and I knew that early, I didn't put them through a lot of questions. If I'd made my decision why waste my time and theirs.

The point of all that was that if a newcomer comes on a board like this I'd think they'd want to be challenged a bit. Be told where their plan had flaws or their knowledge was lacking and how to fix that. I think a bunch of cheerleaders asking no real questions puts them in harm's way. It seems like every day almost we read about another sailboater needing CG assistance. In their spirit of adventure, they're going out in conditions they shouldn't and/or without needed crew or they're just in a boat not capable of handling the conditions. They were often encouraged just to go for it, not to worry about any of those things.

To the question posed to me, "why are you here":

I'm really not here because of ActiveCaptain. I'm here because I've been a trawler cruiser for the last 13+ years on M/V aCappella. And heck, for the first time in those 13 years, we have a new purchase agreement on another boat that will require a fair amount of updating if all the surveys go through in May. It's a steel boat and I have nearly no steel experience but I'm sure there are a few here who do.

So you ARE here for the right reasons and not just to start an argument???

<<The fact is, everyone who posts here likes it too(argument) - you would have left a long time ago otherwise.>>

I think Mr. PSN nailed it on this post:
<<GG WAS a lightning rod and how you view her purpose or existence in the world is how you perceive the other 99.999999999 percent of the world.>>

So maybe your view of this forum is your view of the rest of the world???..... I believe you are just pissed that I beat you to it!!!!:rofl: :facepalm: :banghead:

Believe it or not, the vast majority of people on this forum are here for the right reasons....the exchange of information of a common interest...in this case, trawlers/boats. They aren't here just to argue. I am not here just to argue. And I hope you really aren't here just to argue. The people that WERE here just to argue, are not here anymore.

Their are some "eccentric" characters on here. But they generally behave and it is just a few. The caustic ******** have been removed....for the most part. And if you see anyone being a caustic *******, please feel free to use the report button on the lower left.

Last edited:
If they had no chance for the job and I knew that early, I didn't put them through a lot of questions. If I'd made my decision why waste my time and theirs.

The point of all that was that if a newcomer comes on a board like this I'd think they'd want to be challenged a bit. Be told where their plan had flaws or their knowledge was lacking and how to fix that. I think a bunch of cheerleaders asking no real questions puts them in harm's way. It seems like every day almost we read about another sailboater needing CG assistance. In their spirit of adventure, they're going out in conditions they shouldn't and/or without needed crew or they're just in a boat not capable of handling the conditions. They were often encouraged just to go for it, not to worry about any of those things.
I completely agree with you that there's no value coming to a forum like this to ask questions expecting only to hear the answers you want to hear. And if many people are giving you the same advice then it's worth taking note...

Richard

Heck, you are lucky to keep the thread on track long enough that people remember your initial question. :eek:

I'm surprised that so many seem to have been offended when/if/because their advice might not have been taken.

Someone asks me for advice, and if it's something I have a clue about... I'm usually OK with passing on what I've learned, what I think, an opinion, whatever...

But then I don't much care whether the supplicant agrees or not, follows my advice or not, learns from it or not... That (caring) isn't part of my job in that whole equation.

Assuming there's no real impact on folks here and in similar fora, why get so invested in what somebody else is trying to do? They're grown-ups (or at least probably wannabees, or similar), they oughta be able to decide for themselves...

-Chris

Back
Top Bottom