Glendinning Service

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mbevins

Guru
Vessel Name
Keeper IV
Vessel Make
44 Viking ACMY
This is true...as long as minimal care and maintenance was performed.

I was a Glendenning repair tech and installer for a few years...still have the alignment tool in my toolbox.

So as not to hijack the classified thread I moved my question here.

Who does one contact to do regular service on a syncronizer. Can't imagine any and every yard guy can do it. Mine works fine but being 1987 vintage it must need some preventative maintenance. I've done nothing but enjoy it for the 16 years I've owned it.

Anyone know of a repair person that can work on the computer board itself? A boat in a slip near me is getting codes like relay voltage too high, and reference voltage too low.

I loosened, wiggled and re-tightened the power wires going into the unit from the relay box in case they had poor connections, but it still faults. It's an older unit and glenndenning told the owner they know longer sell the computer so he's trying to find a place to fix it.

I never really understood the desire for a syncronizer that matches rpms exactly.
Would it not be better to match fuel loads or engine load with a fuel meter or boost gage?

Anyone know of a repair person that can work on the computer board itself? A boat in a slip near me is getting codes like relay voltage too high, and reference voltage too low.

I loosened, wiggled and re-tightened the power wires going into the unit from the relay box in case they had poor connections, but it still faults. It's an older unit and glenndenning told the owner they know longer sell the computer so he's trying to find a place to fix it.

I take it you have the electronic controls? If Glendinning can't recommend someone, try Lauderdale Speedometer. They have a pretty extensive repair capability and know boats.. if they can't do it they may well know someone who does. 800 951 5123

I never really understood the desire for a syncronizer that matches rpms exactly.
Would it not be better to match fuel loads or engine load with a fuel meter or boost gage?

Nope. You want the propellers moving the same speed: keeps the boat in a straight line and cancels out irritating harmonics when the engines are out of synch.

Nope. You want the propellers moving the same speed: keeps the boat in a straight line and cancels out irritating harmonics when the engines are out of synch.[/QUOTE]

+1. Sounds like you've not run a twin planing boat.

"Nope. You want the propellers moving the same speed: keeps the boat in a straight line and cancels out irritating harmonics when the engines are out of synch."

Many folks do not balance their props to get near the same loads at the same speeds and many do not have the same trans ratios "A" and "B".
In many conditions the loads will not be the same even if the trans is the same and some prop balance is achieved. I find even with props balanced at S1 specs the engines are equally loaded when they are about 20 rpm off of one another.
I do not get a harmonic at all when cruising although the sound level is quite low in any case.

Most balance prop rpm...

As long as other parameters remain within operating limits.

Haven't met anyone yet that matches load....but I could see at some size vessel or certain situations it could become more important.

"Nope. You want the propellers moving the same speed: keeps the boat in a straight line and cancels out irritating harmonics when the engines are out of synch."

Many folks do not balance their props to get near the same loads at the same speeds and many do not have the same trans ratios "A" and "B".
In many conditions the loads will not be the same even if the trans is the same and some prop balance is achieved. I find even with props balanced at S1 specs the engines are equally loaded when they are about 20 rpm off of one another.
I do not get a harmonic at all when cruising although the sound level is quite low in any case.

Be curious as to where these various "many boats" are. In all our travels and thousands of boats exposed to, I haven't met one yet where the trans didn't match (I mean how does that happen?!) let alone the props. Where can I find these?

Hello George,

In many cases some common marine trans were not offered with the same exact ratios "A" and "B".
They are pretty close but they % differences are often made up by slightly varying the prop pitches.
I do not know if you have taken pictures or notice of the "A" and "B" ratios on the trans that you have been around. Here is a rather poor chart of the Hurth ratios as I am traveling and cannot access a more simple chart. You can see the published ratios on the columns marked "A" and "B" beginning on page 12 of this chart.
http://www.taxfreemarine.com/pdf/ZF-B-Transmission-Explain.pdf

The most common trans I have seen are the Hurth 630's (ZF 63) as they had been fitted to a number of boats I have helped owners.
Even in cases where the boats have had the 800 series with the exact same ratio the ability to get two props to load up similarly with balancing has always eluded the boats I have seen.

Typical TF thread derail. :)

Back on track....OP, call Glendinning-they will take care of you. When I needed a cable for our system, they made it. I remember their statement- "we'll just dust off the old machine in the corner and get it done for ya."

Great people and gear!

Typical TF thread derail. :)

Back on track....OP, call Glendinning-they will take care of you. When I needed a cable for our system, they made it. I remember their statement- "we'll just dust off the old machine in the corner and get it done for ya."

Great people and gear!

Thanks !

The mech in the small yard I use cured a GD system glitch with no particular difficulty. There's a lot of them around. But, I have an older electro-mech system. Not a sign of a computer board.

Back
Top Bottom