Remember Galaxy Girl ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here. I'm arrogant. But that's part of the gender bias that happens with a bunch of older guys (me included). I know she felt it in a big way and looking at the comments then and now, she'd win the debate in a fair trial.

"She was rude"?

In whose opinion.

I'm usually good for an opinion ... and my opinion is that this thread should be deleted. I could gladly mention names but .....
To the mods delete it or TF will wear the basher badge forever.

Some of us had "gender training" so long ago......but does't mean forgotten.....well in a sentence or paragraph based forum....that is a huge stretch in personality guessing.

She wasn' Necessarily rude....but has been one of the worst in accepting advice graciously, whether it was good or bad.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. mb. I agree with that to a point. How about just close it? Post #135...

Why close it? It's the perfect example of why women, for the most part, don't take part here. For that matter, other threads show the same thing for business owners and CEO's of boating based businesses. Maybe if there's enough great examples, some behaviors might change?

Nah, I doubt it...

Greetings,
Mr. JS. Are you suggesting that women, business owners and CEO's don't take part because of member negativity? I have seen some numbers of the above mentioned come and go but I also see equal numbers sign on who are STILL posting and contributing greatly to TF.

I'm simply not interested in discussing Galaxy Girl. My gender has nothing to do with it.

I like her. I had some communications with her outside forums. I think she was treated very poorly on many forums including this one. I know most will disagree but if she had faked her name and came across as a man, she would have been treated much differently.

So she bought an old boat for a song and fixed it up nicely. She could likely teach nearly everyone here about cosmetic repairs and making a boat interior beautiful, as if most people would bother to listen to her.

She tried the lifestyle and didn't like it. She has memories rather than dreams. Good on her for that. Then she sold the boat at a handsome profit. Again, something many here only dream about.

:thumb:

I was for her all the way. If she would have been a live a board in warm area she probably would still be. Many people spend money on creature comforts and looks, when basic requirements are not. We tried to tell her it was not live a board ready. :banghead:

I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here. I'm arrogant. But that's part of the gender bias that happens with a bunch of older guys (me included). I know she felt it in a big way and looking at the comments then and now, she'd win the debate in a fair trial.

Successful people are generally arrogant. They believe so strongly in themselves. Rudeness is when they display that arrogance openly and allow it to impact how they treat others.

Also, displaced arrogance is rude. By that I mean being arrogant about things completely outside your realm of knowledge. When it comes to home flipping and construction, I assume she has reason to be arrogant and nothing wrong with it. As a beginner in the boating world, she hadn't earned that right.

I don't think she's a bad person. I consider her a good person just based on her love of her family.

I also strongly disagree that her gender led to worse treatment. I think many, including myself, were more tolerant of her as a wife and mom.

The only gender bias I've ever been accused of is liking women better than men.

Why she didn't just move the boat somewhere warmer, I don't know. From the rest of her blog post, it seems there were more things going on than she wanted to say publicly. It's too bad. Occasionally , I would check her blog, read her comments ,and look at the pictures. I was really happy for her and her family. It seems like she and her family had a great time on the trip up the coast.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey S

I have a feeling that if she was a he, no one would have used "rude". No one calls me rude here.

I think the number of women who post here is too small statistically to even measure (with respect to Ms B).

I also think the top management of marine businesses are not represented here at all (male or female).

The reason for both is the same. The environment is too toxic. You end up with the forum you deserve...

Now Jeffrey...that was rude... :eek: :nonono:

I don't think we have nor does she have reason to give us the whole story. Boston was in time for school and because her business was there. But then not long after, it was California. If she just wanted to be rid of the boat, then could have just stayed in Boston. If the weather was the only issue, then just move the boat south. I just hope she and the kids are happy with the move.

Why close it? It's the perfect example of why women, for the most part, don't take part here. For that matter, other threads show the same thing for business owners and CEO's of boating based businesses. Maybe if there's enough great examples, some behaviors might change?

Nah, I doubt it...
For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business.
GG had her own ideas and had great faith in them. This time, her ideas did not work, unless of course she turned a $ out of the boat. Gender is irrelevant. No point in a post mortem.

I dont for one minute think she made money on that boat. But, it would be completely against everything she has been succesfull at to say otherwise.

She might have made money on it. I only had a quick look but the cosmetic stuff appeared well done. But not a lot of money needs to go into that.

I doubt there was much of consequence done to boat systems, which is the area that eats cash. If someone wanted a dock queen, or didn't look at the whole boat properly, then selling for premium is quite possible. Of course it should be moved, or towed if necessary, quite a ways south to be enjoyed.

The problem with cosmetics (her venue) is that a decent surveyor goes past them like a hot knife thru butter. Its easy to put lipstick on a pig and call it a runway model, its still a pig if you know what a pig basically looks like.

As best I recall she had an opportunity to buy a very nice boat - Cheoy Lee - already located in CA.

The problem with cosmetics (her venue) is that a decent surveyor goes past them like a hot knife thru butter. Its easy to put lipstick on a pig and call it a runway model, its still a pig if you know what a pig basically looks like.
Bingo! Well said. You know she did good cosmetic upgrades but the boat was probably neglected (hence the deal). She didn't have a working knowledge of the systems to upgrade or even know if there were issues. A prepurchase survey probably woke Galaxy Girl up more than the prospective buyer.

I totally disagree with Jeff that she was gender battered. She was welcomed with open arms and plenty of offers for help.
We have a saying for that in our industry (non gender specific). "You want to act like a bitch, your going to get treated like a bitch."

For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business.

Business model? Do you have a clue what you're talking about?

And what does that have to do with app developers posting here? How about NOAA cartographers? Marine electronics engineers? And other professionals in the boating products market?

Why are there nearly none of those people posting here and yet every class of those people post on our Facebook group? Could it be the toxic atmosphere like your little snip at me that keeps them away? Why would anyone be dumb enough to come here to take that abuse? For me, heck, I'm a New Yorker. I like to argue. My wife prefers me to do it here! :lol:

She was welcomed with open arms and plenty of offers for help.
We have a saying for that in our industry (non gender specific). "You want to act like a bitch, your going to get treated like a bitch."

No gender bias there. Use the word bitch twice in a sentence to prove that being a female had nothing to do with anything. Strong way to make your point.

Yeah, she was welcomed. No question. But as soon as she showed that she wanted to do things her way, even if the "experts" here disagreed, then she was treated like a girl. A "rude" girl.

She has not been here in what ? a year ? yet is still the focus of what, resentment, jealousy, misogyny ? I don't get it.

"She didn't learn anything", of course she did, she tried it, didn't like it and moved on.
More power to her.

-unsubscribed-

This has garnered 9 pages! I hope she is reading this and laughing her ass off!

I think most of the guys here on TF got the whole Galaxy girl thing wrong.

I think I read probably every post she made here on TF and I don't remember a bunch of rudness.

She was asking questions. When she got a answer that didn't explain enough she questioned the answer.

In the end she actually listened, and her boat choice shows that.

She did not buy a old wooden boat
She did not buy a old steel boat
She bought a old Hatteras (pretty hard to fault a choice like that)

Then she had it cosmetically fixed up and lived on it for a winter.

Like ALLOT of people who buy big boats she decided big boat boating and the liveaboard lifestyle was not for her so she ended that life experiment.

I do not consider her a failure, any more than any one else that buys a big boat, tries it out and decides its not for them. Large boats are a lifestyle choice, one you cannot know about without trying it out. Evidence of this are all the big boats that come up for sale, or sit unused in our harbors.

Would she have been happier in a warmer climate? Should she have given it more time? Who knows. We could "coulda, shoulda, woulda" this forever. The fact is she tried it out and decided it was not for her.

Last edited:
"For a moment I forgot your business model. Controversy= publicity = business."

Well for me this thread explained a whole lot. :)

I think she had great taste in boats and how to furnish them. She could easily do that as a business. That boat was homey inside.

What's the big deal?

Somebody without experience buys a big old boat. spends lots of money on it. takes kids on a memorable journey, tries winter aboard in Boston, decides it is not her ideal life and cuts losses.

People come and go from boating all the time, often making similar expensive choices. She was more decisive than most and went through the cycle much faster than most.

This has garnered 9 pages! I hope she is reading this and laughing her ass off!

Max

You could not be more right. In this age of Facebook, Twitter, Kardashians, Jenners etc she has accomplished her goals and moved on to the next episode and chapter. GG has kept us all back biting and riveted.

I'd bet there will be more to follow. I can hardly wait. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom