Old 04-27-2016, 03:25 PM   #186
Britannia
Wannabe

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Name: Stillwater
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by WesK View Post
Actually, they tried to "educate" me that because they were under sail, the ships had to alter course to avoid them.

Personally, I believe size wins, especially a freighter or tanker vs. a small recreational trawler, but they wouldn't leave it alone. They claimed that if I altered course to avoid them, I was causing a dangerous situation.

Seriously.
Ok, I'll bite.

First off - from a practical standpoint I will alter course to avoid a large vessel well in advance of needing to worry about collision avoidance. I did that when I had a sailboat too.

That having been said - where in COLREGS is there anything to support the position that a small vessel has to get out of the way of a large one in the open ocean?

In restricted channels and traffic lanes the COLREGS Rule 9 (b) and Rule 10 (j) apply. However, in open ocean Rule 18 (a)(iv) applies.

Let me repeat that I do get out of the way of large vessels well in advance of a situation where either vessel needs to worry about COLREGS. I'm just curious where people believe that it's the large vessels right to maintain course and speed?

Richard
Britannia is offline   Reply With Quote