Float plane service BC coast???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hawgwash

Guru
Long time friends who regularly travel the central and north coast of BC have had an annual open invite to join them for the summer. I did once, long ago, for a month.

Comfortable boat for 3 or 4; good, good people; politically and boatingly like minded. Even though they believe they could tolerate me for 3 months, friends and family visits have their limits so I'm thinking more like 3 weeks would be the sweet spot.

I don't want to waste my time aboard getting to Queen Charlotte Strait from the south coast and only twice in my life have I been beyond Klemtu.

So, I hook up before they go around the corner at Cape Caution, then fly out from somewhere or fly up and cruise back south with them, to maybe Shearwater or Port Hardy.

In terms of anywhere on Vancouver Island, to/from anywhere on the central coast; Butedale for example, is anyone familiar with float service, commercial or charter, that is viable?

Or, some other approach?

Try Aircab in Coal Harbour, Port Hardy, they have a lot of flights
up that way for the loggers and fish farms. Pacific Coastal Airlines has
some schedule flights as well.

Ted

A long shot, but once you get a quote from one of the commercial services, you might want to check with a local FBO in your area. Find an FBO that does float plane training and ask them what dual time would cost. I only mention it because in 2006 I needed to fly to Naniemo (sp?) and checked with Kenworth Air. It was a LOT cheaper to simply rent a Cessna 206 with an instructor pilot and have her fly us up and drop us off there.

dhays; said:
Find an FBO that does float plane training and ask them what dual time would cost.
Now that is a novel idea worth exploring. There are a couple right here in my back yard.:thumb:

When my boat was in PNW, we had visiting friends arrive by float plane. Very convenient and surprisingly affordable. They flew into Vancouver International and took a float plane from there directly to our boat. Very convenient and surprisingly affordable. Sorry I don't remember the name of the service, but it was a well-established, multi-plane operation, not just some aspiring uber driver who happened to have a plane.

Last edited:
When my boat was in PNW, we had visiting friends arrive by float plane. Very convenient and surprisingly affordable
Thank you. I'll start doing my homework based on a hypothetical flight. I know it can be done from both the mainland and VI. I have a good recommendation from Campbell River that is an easy drive for me. Visit cranky, crusty, crippled old friends along the way.
:thumb:

Three weeks between Cape Caution and Sheerwater? You could fly commercialy to Pt Hardy, then have more than enough time to get to Prince Rupert and catch another commercial flight home. Not as exciting as a float plane ride, but most likely far less expensive.

Three weeks between Cape Caution and Sheerwater?
No, sorry if Al's Hymer didn't explain it right.

3 (or so) weeks aboard.
Fly one way, cruise the other.
I just threw Cape Caution and Shearwater in as fer instances.

They will be somewhere between the south coast and AK for 3 to 4 months and I would like to join them at some point north or south beyond the corner. Doesn't much matter where as long as I can fly one way, the weather is good and the fish are jumping into the boat.

Float planes will drop off and pick up virtually anywhere so long as you have a CC and communications. Ferry service is surprisingly good. Scheduled airlines are throughout BCs and AKs more common destinations. Anything is possible.

Why not be more specific as to where points A and B are? Then this august group of TF travel agents can give you precise guidance. We stand ready.

sunchaser; said:
Why not be more specific as to where points A and B are? Then this august group of TF travel agents can give you precise guidance. We stand ready.
Aw geeze, where and when are TBD.
Right now bud's entertaining a whack of aunts from Cockney. Not only can't he understand them, he might not be rid of them before the summer ends. Or he may be so fed up with company he slips out in the middle of the night without me.

Barring that, maybe I could throw a waterproof sleeping bag and a keg in your herring skiff and tag along behind. Maybe eve toss out a bucktail and catch your dinner. That'll work for me, long as we can stop in Lund for a fresh keg.

Precise guidance from this crew? Don't hurt my sides so.

Last edited:
Pacific coastal does flights into the Hakai area and other areas as well. I believe these floatplane flights originate from Port Hardy. I know a number of boaters who have people fly in and out to meet their boats in remote areas. You may also want to touch base with a local fishing lodge and connect with their in and out flights if there is room aboard those a/c.

https://m.pacificcoastal.com/upload/Route_Map_V5.pdf

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

JDCAVE; said:
You may also want to touch base with a local fishing lodgeJim
Thanks, Jim. I have had dialogue with PCA right here in my yard. Also know a guide that works Langara and others; works the film industry when not fishing. I'll track him down.
:thumb:

Back
Top Bottom