Remember Galaxy Girl ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought I had a good shot at the 5K, especially since I go to church with Miss Sadie and knew the boat has been idle since her husband passed four years ago!! But unfortunately for me, GG had already seen the listing!! Good Luck GG and congrats o the sale Miss Sadie! Jolly Time

Kevin, FYI, for reference, a Hatt 63MY is at least double your boat in volume, systems and complexity.

Seriously??? Volume yes, but systems???

Both boats have two engines

The larger hatt has two generators mine has only one.

I have two full heads with showers, possibly the hatt has three?

Both boats have a fresh water system, at least two tanks

I have three furnaces, possibly the hatt has three or four AC units.

Refrigerators, I only have two plus a icemaker. Possibly the hatt has more.

So, the systems on any boat over a certain size are not all that different from each other.

The thing that the hatteras has against it maintenance wise is the exact same thing all older boats have...Age of the systems.

The problem that GG faces, and I think this is the same problem that many boaters face, especially in todays world is that maintenance takes time and skills, or it takes very deep pockets.

This is going to show a little gender bias in me, but in my lifetime I've found that few females have the desire or aptitude to take care of mechanical things. Even guys now days lack the mechanical aptitude in general to maintain a boat. Its not their fault, its just that less and less people are exposed to and get time practicing mechanical, and electrical maintenance.

I feel that maintenance, ongoing maintenance is the biggest risk that GG faces in her boating happiness.

Last edited:
What will be will be,and unless GG comes back and asks for advise its not anything we really can be involved with no mater our opinions.

I have been for her since the beginning as its not difficult to buy a boat as it just takes money. In Seattle with new young millionaires its happens on a regular bases. My advise for her is to get the boat to the Boston area and get it ready winter. The real challenge and proof being a live a board is the first winter. Many do not make it thru the first winter in the cold wet climates.

I don’t think the boat has adequate heating, so diesel furnace/boiler might have to be installed. If the dock has AC 240 volt 50 amps might be enough to heat the boat, but the electrical might have to changed around to share the load. We added a Webasto boiler as our first dock/marina had AC 120 30 amps. When we changed to 240 volts I added a second electrical panel just for addition heaters as the original electrical panel and wiring did not have to be changed.

Now the challenge is to make the boat live aboard ready and has enough money to throw at it! We spend around 30 grand the first year to make the Eagle PNW livable. I am still in her corner!

She is the kind of woman I looked for in my second wife, string minded that could make it on her own and we had a ball raising our children and now grandchildren. Thank God for grandchildren as my wife wanted to have more but grandchildren seem to take the edge off. :D

She sold the boat and moved to SoCal.

"In a nutshell, I sold my beautiful boat. We had a dreadful winter in Boston and I decided that I no longer wished to live that way. I decided that the time had come to live a happier, warmer life.
In August, after the boat closed, I got rid of all of my belongings and put my kids on a plane to California. So far, we love it. Besides the benefit of a major weather change, people here are so much friendlier and more laid back then in Boston."

5 Kids and a Boat

You left out the most interesting part.

"Hey guys!!! I apologize for not posting in a long time. Some very nasty people tried to hurt my family by jumping to conclusions and trying to hold my own blog against me. I worked it all out and all ended well (after all, my Mom is from South Boston; I was raised a fighter and to not to let anyone mess with your family) but frankly, I was so pissed over the whole thing that I no longer felt like posting. I had even considered taking my blog down altogether, but in the end decided not to, because I’m not going to let them alter my life."

What ever happened, it's to bad. She did a great job of remodeling the boat.

There were 2 parts to the saga.....the newbie looking for a new lifestyle.....

And the fighter who battled her way to the top and was determined she was smarter than some who knew better.

Sad on one account and woefully sad on the other.....:D

There were 2 parts to the saga.....the newbie looking for a new lifestyle.....

And the fighter who battled her way to the top and was determined she was smarter than some who knew better.

Sad on one account and woefully sad on the other.....:D

You're right as she had the spirit of adventure but killed it with her refusal to listen. It was all new to her but she felt she knew more than those responding to her. I hope when they look back the kids remember more of the fun rather than the misery of the winter.

You're right as she had the spirit of adventure but killed it with her refusal to listen. It was all new to her but she felt she knew more than those responding to her. I hope when they look back the kids remember more of the fun rather than the misery of the winter.

:iagree:

She could have kept the boat in the South cruising the islands and such. That could have been the best of both worlds.

Few of our boats are very comfortable with outside temps in the 20F range, which is normal for Boston winters. They simply are not designed for that. I put up with several nights of those temps here in NC and it was NOT FUN. Could not imagine doing the same much further north.

"In August, after the boat closed, I got rid of all of my belongings and put my kids on a plane to California. So far, we love it. Besides the benefit of a major weather change, people here are so much friendlier and more laid back then in Boston."

Wonder how long that will last?

Who cares? She's moved on...
997.gif

Does she really think life will be better on the West Coast??
With her attitude she will doubtless go from failure to failure and blame others along the way. She was offered so much experience and excellent advice and chose to ignore most of it. I just feel sorry for the kids being dragged around and treated so irresponsibly. At least nobody got hurt. Not clear whether she ever took the vessel out again after the captain docked it in Boston. And where is it now??

Got to admit it....she is STILL wasting other people's time....

She should go into politics.

Right on RTF!!

I think she had other goals in mind. She starts out with a cool web page and blog, which states "watch me, a single parent of 5 cruise on a boat with no prior experience". I was following her too. I do have a Hatteras so I was wondering what would happen. Could she possible pull it off. I didnt think so really. There are lots of people on youtube doing the same, sailing with no experience. People are interested in seeing newbee's fail. If you can get thousands of subscribers and interest, you might get popular and on news shows. Then write a book. A couple from austrailia are doing this and getting all kinds of popularity. Other sailors are getting sponsored by companies like Mustang etc. When Miss Galaxy choose to remodel, she wasnt cruising so I lost interest. I cant imagine a more cold, misserable winter than in Boston on a boat.

I kinda liked her. I appreciate someone who is doing it their way. I think she was dumped on here without cause (in the beginning).

The result speaks for itself.

There are lots of stupid people doing things "their way".
It is just a pity when it gets into the gene pool!!
I read recently of a couple with no experience buying a sail boat and planning a circumnavigation from UK. They were rescued 5 times in the English Channel I believe before the volunteer RNLI said "no more"!!

I kinda liked her. I appreciate someone who is doing it their way. I think she was dumped on here without cause (in the beginning).

Yes, that' my take on it also. She got off on a bad footing, but many were supportive, and if she had just listened a bit more, she would have got everyone on board.

Sadly she did not twig to that fact, so in the end alienated what could have been a really supportive community. However, she gave it a red hot go, and I'm sorry to hear that after getting quite a nice boat, and a brief taste of live aboard life, she/they jacked it in. Maybe the 'they' played more of a part in that in the end. After all, if one or more of the kids, (or grandma), hated it...what could you do..?
It is certainly not everyone's cup of tea, for sure. However, I have not been following her blog, so others may know more...

For me the issue was not so much "not listening".....it was she wasn't bashful posting repeatedly that she was very successful because she worked hard at what she did.

Well, so did so many trying to pass along good, universal advice in doing what she planned.

Most people do listen a little along the way....and don't keep pushing back that their totally unrelated talents will prevail.

If I went on a housing flipping forum and kept telling her my talents as a boat captain or other past success would make house flipping easy, the shoe would have been on the other foot. After the 100th post of how my "other" talent and the chiming in of my mother about it....I would guess it would all start to go bad too. It's not rocket science.

But I do admit, the tone of some forums do seem to assume everyone is completely new in every subject posted....except a few.

I like her. I had some communications with her outside forums. I think she was treated very poorly on many forums including this one. I know most will disagree but if she had faked her name and came across as a man, she would have been treated much differently.

So she bought an old boat for a song and fixed it up nicely. She could likely teach nearly everyone here about cosmetic repairs and making a boat interior beautiful, as if most people would bother to listen to her.

She tried the lifestyle and didn't like it. She has memories rather than dreams. Good on her for that. Then she sold the boat at a handsome profit. Again, something many here only dream about.

setting and working big outrageous goals is often the route to outrageous success or failure. Knowing when to start over is also key to success.
probably not someone I would want to spend time with but straight up or straight down seems her path.

I would love to see the actual numbers and what was done.

Boat flipping is much like house flipping....possible...but most often the flip involves buying somehing you wouldn't want personally and usually never use yourself. Not always...but most of the time in my boat/house flipping experience.

Plus, having no experience and having to purchase it every step of the way cuts into those profits, and if you dont, you are REALLY setting yourself up for failure.

Again, it wasn't the dream ..... it was about attitude and the returned PMs that I and others received that did the most damage for losing support.

I think she had other goals in mind. She starts out with a cool web page and blog, which states "watch me, a single parent of 5 cruise on a boat with no prior experience"...........
People are interested in seeing newbee's fail. If you can get thousands of subscribers and interest, you might get popular and on news shows. Then write a book. A couple from austrailia are doing this and getting all kinds of popularity. Other sailors are getting sponsored by companies like Mustang etc.

How true, life and entertainment have become one big reality show. I didn't really follow her, other than what you folks were posting. But from the beginning it reminded me of a reality TV show airing for the last couple of years on Discovery Channel "Alaskan Bush People".

The show centers on the nine member Billy Brown family who are purportedly living the Alaskan subsistence lifestyle. In reality, the Brown story has only a few elements of truth and is largely staged by the production company. It has been widely exposed for what it is in the press and Alaskan courts, where several family members were exposed and convicted of PFD application fraud. Yet people still watch it?

Not my cup of tea.:nonono:

If she had bought a "trawler" like this one she most probably still lived in it....

Attachments

• s-house.jpg
    s-house.jpg
    163.4 KB · Views: 74
I like her. I had some communications with her outside forums. I think she was treated very poorly on many forums including this one. I know most will disagree but if she had faked her name and came across as a man, she would have been treated much differently.

So she bought an old boat for a song and fixed it up nicely. She could likely teach nearly everyone here about cosmetic repairs and making a boat interior beautiful, as if most people would bother to listen to her.

She tried the lifestyle and didn't like it. She has memories rather than dreams. Good on her for that. Then she sold the boat at a handsome profit. Again, something many here only dream about.

I totally disagree with you. Myself and MANY other TF members offered great advice to her. She was rude way too often and tried too often to either flippantly disregard our inputs or discredit our experience. If it had been a male then I and most others would have treated him the same way. Her loss - Not ours!

Well guys no use to arguing about whether she took our advice or not. It was all offered in good faith and if she used it, fine. If not, fine. This is a forum for adventure, experiences and advice. No rule says you have to take the advice offered. Press on with life, wish her the best and lets go have some adventures........

Back
Top Bottom