New Guy from LI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NY Gin

Veteran Member
hey all. new to the forum and trawlers, not to boating. im looking to trade in my cabin cruiser for a larger slower trawler to cruise the atlantic intracoastal and beyond.

glad to be a part of the community.

Welcome, you will find lots of good information here. There are listees with trawlers of all kinds and sizes, questions, just ask.
Steve W

Thanks for the warm welcome Steve. I'm diving right in !!! ;)

Welcome aboard NYG!!!!

My home port is Mt.Sinai and Port Jefferson on the Long Island Sound. That's on the North Shore of Long Island between Manhatten and Orient Point. The LI Sound is the body of water that connects Long Island and Connecticut.

Gin is perfect for me! That's what my buddies call me so please feel free. Its actually a spin off my last name which is pronounced ~ NO Gin. I am well schooled in boats but would love some guidance and advice in my trawler search. :)

NY Gin wrote:I am well schooled in boats but would love some guidance and advice in my trawler search. :)
Don't know what you are looking for but there was a nice 2007 Mainship 34t for sale in Manhasset NY.* I just went to YW and it isn't there so I don't know if it sold or has been removed from the market.* I fle up and*looked at it pretty hard but got a little better deal on a one year older*boat closer to home.* It was clean and in perfect shape with Cummins power instead of the Yanmar.* Priced right at $200K.

If need be I can contact my broker and see if he remembers who the broker was that was representing the boat.*

7 years ago when my business was booming, sure. Now with my business closed and this wonderful economy we enjoy so much, no way! I need something like $30 - $50 to trade my cruisers for. When I had $ I bought a 1987 29' Thompson and a 2003 Rinker 270 Fiesta Vee outright. That's the last of my money which unfortunately makes me not liquid. :(

JD

$200K for a 34 Mainship sounds pretty dear. It is amazing the deals that abound due to*the down economy. If*a buyer*has the money and/or financing in place and is ready to pounce, a desparate* seller is likely to be there. Toys go first they say.

GIn,
Welcome to the forum! LOTS of great deals out there!

"My home port is Mt.Sinai and Port Jefferson"

Then you may know* good boating friends of mine*Art and Barb Paolillo who own the Barbara Ann a 1980 Mainship II. He has been docked in My Sianai for many years.

If you do end up buying a Mainship see Art to get involved with the local Mainship owner's group. We are a great bunch of folks
biggrin.gif

Happy boat hunting.

Yes I know of the Barbara Ann but don't know them personally. My boat is moored close to theirs. Small world! ,)

I have someone local interested in swapping his 1972 Egg Harbor 38' ( gas engines :( ) for my 1987 Thompson Daytona 290. Any thoughts?

Obtaining ethanol free or low gas may be a real challenge soon. Something to consider in an older boat.

Don't know if you want to go fast, but consider the 34 Mainships built in the late 70's and early 80's all diesel powered. Also someone on this forum turned me on to the 38 bayliners built in the mid to late 80's, all diesel powered twins that should be in your price range.

I would only consider diesel power for several reasons, but that's just me, there is no right or wrong on that matter.

As has been said before, with patience you will get a great deal.

Hi Guys - as an FYI - my local West Marine in Boston has chart books of long island sound, and south shore of long island (maptech and maptech/west marine) on clearance, for about $10. Let me know if some of you want the chartbooks, I can buy them up and sent them to you.

"Don't know if you want to go fast, but consider the 34 Mainships built in the late 70's and early 80's all diesel powered"

And if that is the route you'd like to take e mail me privately. I owned one for 14 years, started our local owner's group, have repaired and help repaired many. Have been aboard so many it's sick. There are great ones out there and some real dogs.

We are definately looking for Diesel. However, if its the right boat and the deal is right I would purchase gas and convert to diesel. Expensive proposition however may be worth it.

For years we have enjoyed the "fast lane" with our cruisers around 39 knots. The time has come to switch gears and slow down a bit. With that said, we need to consider semi-displacement vs displacement hulls. The option to drop the hammer and get up and out around 18 knots is a nice option. From what I understand, and most certainly can be wrong, full displacement hulls on trawlers will not exceed sayh 10 knots or so. ??????

i am no expert but you might check out some of the used californians, 34 or 38 ft.
typically from the early 80's and typically with twin diesels.
these boats can get up and go (nowhere near 39 kts but 15-20 ) or trawl for economy and you can own these for a reasonable used boat price.

NY Gin wrote:

*full displacement hulls on trawlers will not exceed sayh 10 knots or so. ??????
Depends on the hull.

A full displacement hull will only travel at hull speed for optimum efficency.

A 42 ft hull will travel at 8.68 knt p.h.

The square root of 42 is 6.4807407. multiply that by 1.34 and you get the hull speed.

A 48 ft boat = 48xsq rt is 6.92820323 X 1.34=9.28 knts

You can exceed hull speed but the cost of fuel burn escalates exponentially.*

These figures are based on a length of the boat at the waterline or LWL

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:04:48 PM

Great info SD! I'm going to have to stick with semi displacement I think. We are coming from an avg cruising speed of about 28 knots. I am afraid 9 knots tops would be a bit of a shell shock to us.

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:31:44 PM

Gin,* That narrows the field quite a bit. If you need more than 9 knots most of the production trawlers in the 36-40 range built in the last 30 or so years are OUT!

At least with standard engines.

I think Albin made a fast 34' Trawler in the 80s which could do 12 to 15 knots.

Probably would be in the 30k range in price now.

JohnP

-- Edited by JohnP on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:36:18 PM

Attachments

• 1554612_1.jpg
    1554612_1.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 77
JohnP wrote:

"Gin,* That narrows the field quite a bit. If you need more than 9 knots most of the production trawlers in the 36-40 range built in the last 30 or so years are OUT!

At least with standard engines.

I think Albin made a fast 34' Trawler in the 80s which could do 12 to 15 knots.

Probably would be in the 30k range in price now."

JohnP

That may just work if it's a large 34'. I was leaning towards the 38' range as to have 2 staterooms and a large salon and cockpit.

-- Edited by JohnP on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:36:18 PM

-- Edited by NY Gin on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 02:59:03 PM

Ideally the bigger boat would be better but size and speed equal expense.

If your trawler burns say 10 gallons and hour on a 6 hour day,times 5.00 per gallon=300 bucks per day or 9000. per month.

Not sure how comfortable you would be at 5/gallon?

There are 50' boats that burn less than 2 gallon/hr but they do not go fast.

JohnP

Another great point! All things to consider. Our main goal here is to get something we can bring down south to the GA - FL region and use as our "vacation home." She will be at the marina most of the time. The occasional run out will be a slow and gingerly cruise at the 6 knot range. The "speed" comes into play when we bring her up and down the Atlantic Intracoastal from NY to GA/FL for the Winter than back up for the Summer. We also have a little 1965 Crestliner that we are completely customizing as our little runabout toy so if the need for speed should hit, she would be the cure.

I would get the biggest boat I could.* A single engine with a bow thruster would be great. Just chug a long at maybe 7 knots and have a great time.

Get your speed fix in the runabout or in the SUV.

Take Care-* Enjoy the boat Shopping!

JohnP

JohnP wrote:

I would get the biggest boat I could.* A single engine with a bow thruster would be great.
People buy Trawlers because of the cost of fuel. *You can either go fast and spend 9 or 10 gallons of fuel. Get banged and bumped around to get where you are going.
For instance my boat burns about 1.5 gallons per hour I only go 7 knts but I have lots of room and a smoth comfortable ride enjoying the senery and wildlife.
*the trip becomes the whole point.* Not the destination.

To quote "It is the journey not the vessel"*

If you can afford it.**Get a boat with a hull that will plane and go for it.

If not.**Slow down, get a Trawler and cruise

SD

I like that. I may just have to re think my intentions. 1.5 gals at 7 knots is great and that would be the majority of my cruising. I just like the idea of being able to throttle down if the weather turns or if the boys decide they want to tube. BUT, I can always hang a cool RIB off the back and "pimp" that thing out???????

I tell folks-"No, she ain't fast. But she goes slow VERY comfortably!"

Hi NY Gin!*

If you can locate a 34' or 40'*Tollycraft tri cabin, in good condition;*then it sounds from your post...*that "semi-trawler-craft" design just might fill your desire.* We have a 1977 34' Tolly tri, in SF Bay*area.* It's one of the finest built production*boats*Ive ever experienced... Ed Monk Sr. was the marine architect - great hull*design, built*like a tank, economical to cruise at hull or planing speeds,*sea kindly and with well appointed interior and exterior very roomy and easy to care for!*
BTW, 1950s thru early 1970s I was brought up on LI south shore, cruised NY to Maine often, and points in between.* I worked in boat yards for most teen years.* There are some Tollycraft on East Coast.* These boats were built and designed to take the unpredictable, often very rough conditions in the North West Pacific.* Visit Yachtworld punch in Tollycraft 34 to 40 you'll see some nice ones at todays nice prices.
Good luck and Happy Boating! - Art**

-- Edited by Art on Thursday 24th of February 2011 09:32:52 AM

-- Edited by Art on Thursday 24th of February 2011 09:35:15 AM

I just think at the moment with the problems in the Far East going slow may become a dam sight more popular.
It looks like the price of crude will escalate and so the price of diesel.
Here in Aus we could be lookin at $1.70 a lt ( $6.80/gal) before you know it.

Benn

A full displacement hull will only travel at hull speed for optimum efficency.

A 42 ft hull will travel at 8.68 knt p.h.

The square root of 42 is 6.4807407. multiply that by 1.34 and you get the hull speed.

A 48 ft boat = 48xsq rt is 6.92820323 X 1.34=9.28 knts

You can exceed hull speed but the cost of fuel burn escalates exponentially.*

These figures are based on a length of the boat at the waterline or LWL

The above is not correct.

Hull speed is the max the vessel can be pushed , but it is hardly the efficient speed.

The usual* SL multiplyer is between .9 and 1.15* to cut the fuel burn in half or by 2/3.

The 6 or 7K cruise is as good as it gets for most modest size boats if you want to put at 1 to 3 Gph .

Wind power is way cheaper , if you want to run distances.

Winter , motor down to FL with many bridges and speed restrictions** 3-5 weeks anchor out enery night OR

sail to the carribean, 2 weeks* no fuel except gaining the ocean , anchor in swimmable waters?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom