This will really stop the pirates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This was a step in the right direction, but as was seen in the Russian video, again the pirates were simply let go.* That don't seem right.........................Arctic Traveller

PIRATE MOTHERSHIPS CAPTURED
Following heavy industry criticism of the failure to intercept pirate motherships, the Danish warship HMDS Esbern Snare last weekend challenged one such vessel forcing it to surrender.
A weapons cache was seized, 16 pirates detained and 2 Yemeni hostages were freed. In a similar incident, the UK warship HMS Cornwall captured a second mothership with 17 pirates onboard
however in both cases, and to the dismay of industry, the pirates were released. The official and mind boggling justification for their release was that they were doing nothing illegal.
In stark contrast, the lone pirate captured following the attempted hijacking of Maersk Alabama last year was sentenced this week to 34 years as a guest of the US Government.
On a brighter note, the International Chamber of Shipping this week signaled a more aggressive policy on piracy with tacit approval for the placement of armed guards on merchant
ships (see the attached press release). A total of 33 vessels with 712 hostages are currently held off Somalia.

Tim,
It is terrible news, very very sad.
i know the pirates involved in that attach have already been dealt with but i surely hope in the future that these criminals will be met with much more force than the catch and release going on currently...

Two pirates killed, thirteen arrested. There should have been no surviving pirates.

Old Stone wrote:

Have to agree with Carey on that one!
Times three.

This is a very sad day.* I worry that the pirates were trying to make a point.* They had to know the U.S. Navy would have a Seal team ready to strike.* Were they sending a message?* Horrible, horrible day.* Send them all to the bottom, and arm every ship. ...............Arctic Traveller

Very saddened by this news. And the way we (mid)deal with the pirates makes my blood boil. Hopefully these fine people will not have died in vain and we do something effective in controlling these idiots.

Baker wrote:Hopefully these fine people will not have died in vain and we do something effective in controlling these idiots.
I fear this might be difficult as I have read several places now that it's suspected the pirates are sponsored by terrorists who have found a new source of funding.* The best offence is a good defence.* Arm the ships, and at the first sign of a boarding, blow them out of the water..............................Arctic Traveller

Arctic Traveller wrote:

This is a very sad day.* I worry that the pirates were trying to make a point.* They had to know the U.S. Navy would have a Seal team ready to strike.* Were they sending a message?* Horrible, horrible day.* Send them all to the bottom, and arm every ship. ...............Arctic Traveller
You got it. It's the only answer.

Mike wrote:

From the website neptunuslex, a site run by a retired Navy CVN squadron commander and former TOPGUN instructor -

Quote -

"Fire Discipline

The truly remarkable thing in the denouement of the Sailing Vessel Quest hostage taking, is how utterly unremarkable were the actions of the special forces who attempted to come to the rescue of the hostages after shots were fired:

On Monday, two pirates had peacefully come aboard the USS Sterett to negotiate with naval forces for the release of the hostages, and remained aboard overnight.

But at 8 a.m. East Africa time Tuesday, a rocket-propelled grenade was fired from the Quest at the USS Sterett, a guided-missile destroyer 600 yards away. The RPG missed and almost immediately afterward small arms fire was heard coming from the yacht, said Vice Adm. Mark Fox, commander of the U.S. 5th Fleet in Bahrain.

U.S. forces converged on the Quest in small boats and some pirates moved to bow and put up their hands in surrender.

A member of a U.S. special operations force killed one of the pirates with a knife, Fox said. A second pirate was also killed, and the bodies of two other pirates were discovered on board, bringing to 19 the total number of pirates involved. The U.S. military didn't say how those two died and it was not known if the pirates had fought among themselves.

To recap: Sterett is taken under fire, and shots are heard aboard the pirate vessel. Navy special forces attempt to stabilize the situation and provide first aid. The SEALs find four US citizens mortally wounded. They quickly find themselves in a position of power over murderous pirates who literally have blood on their hands. And in the elevated emotions of the moment, with their fury up and their countrymen bleeding out, they exercised an almost superhuman forbearance, using deadly force only to the degree that it was necessary, and only upon those who were an imminent threat: World class warriors treating monsters with a humanity, when it would have been easy - oh, so easy - to let the firearms do the talking.

They held their fire not because the pirates deserved it, but because it was the right thing to do. Because on that almost infinitely graduated scale that authorizes the use of deadly force, the pirates - having surrendered - were no longer enemy combatants, and therefore in a firmly in a protected class.

The pirates probably knew, they had to have known, that they would be treated with more humanity than they themselves had just shown to four defenseless civilians.

Because the SEALs are warriors, not killers.

And that makes all the difference."

END OF QUOTE

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
TOO BAD!

All the pirates we treat so humanely will end up killing more of our neighbors. Absolutely no mercy from me. I'm for outta sight outta mind. Get it over with.

-- Edited by Carey on Tuesday 22nd of February 2011 07:57:09 PM

Arctic Traveller wrote:

This was a step in the right direction, but as was seen in the Russian video, again the pirates were simply let go.* That don't seem right.........................Arctic Traveller
???? let go??? if you mean had their weapons taken away, photographed, put back aboard their " mother ship " and told have a nice day.... then used as target practice for the Russian equivalent of the phalanx system... and then posting the video of it on you tube??

If we had a* government that had balls we would act swiftly and kill enough pirates that they would decide that it wasnt such a good line of work... and if it didnt stop ..kill more until they did

The statement that their boss made about his loss of manpower,* wages, cost of supplies and that he would " make us pay" makes my blood boil

"kill them all... let God sort them out"

HOLLYWOOD

I usually stay out of the political morass, but they (pirates) just killed four American yachtsmen.*For money.**Like the man says, "makes my blood boil".* Yes, they probably shouldn't have been in those waters to begin with (they were distributing bibles?) but they were. And now they're dead.* I guess the sanctity of life becomes meaningless in the face of millions of dollars.* Well worth the risk to these a s s holes that have nothing to lose to begin with except their own lives, while the honchos on land that run the ops rake in the*bounty.* Cut the head off the snake.* **

-- Edited by KJ on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 12:46:20 AM

That financier in Puntland should be in someone's crosshairs, and others like him.
Steve W

Maybe we should pay the Russians, French or Israelis to deal with it.* They don't take crap from anyone when their citizens or interests are at stake.* No matter what you think of those countries/governments, you have to respect that they don't abandon their people like our Gov't does.

Carey wrote:

Mike wrote:

Because the SEALs are warriors, not killers.

And that makes all the difference."

END OF QUOTE

Mike
Merritt Island, FL.
TOO BAD!

All the pirates we treat so humanely will end up killing more of our neighbors. Absolutely no mercy from me. I'm for outta sight outta mind. Get it over with.
In my gut, I'd have to agree with Carey, but the bottom line is as Mike quotes, the SEALS are warriors, not killers.* My BIL was a SEAL.* Has he killed people?* He won't talk about it.* SEALS are regular guys, they just happen to be Bad A$$ very well trained guys.**Hopefully justice will prevail against these pirates, but I can't fault the SEALS for not killing*people who had surrendered.**

it is the same "old" story
how will a civilized country/regimen deal with un-civilized criminals?
if you deal them the same punishment dealt in a civilized country, the criminals dont budge only their own cruelty would put a scare in them.

in this day and age of constant surveillance and new reporters on the scene, nobody from a civilized organization would make any kind of politically incorrect action, they would get "killed" in the media.

we cant go after the financier (least not directly) as that would/could look like the US is trying to politically influence that nation.

perhaps it should be considered to find out who these backers are and simply put up a reward, time to let the bounty hunters go their work.

Pineapple Girl wrote:

In my gut, I'd have to agree with Carey, but the bottom line is as Mike quotes, the SEALS are warriors, not killers.* My BIL was a SEAL.* Has he killed people?* He won't talk about it.* SEALS are regular guys, they just happen to be Bad A$$ very well trained guys.**Hopefully justice will prevail against these pirates, but I can't fault the SEALS for not killing*people who had surrendered.**
JenniferI understand Mike's viewpoint and yours. I have to commend our Seals for their restraint. I know they would have rather gone my way. But then they'd all be facing charges. Our PC approach to everything will eventually lead to our demise.

-- Edited by Carey on Wednesday 23rd of February 2011 12:45:09 PM

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom