View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 09:56 AM   #30
Rossland

City: Buffalo
Vessel Name: Almost Perfect
Vessel Model: Kadey-Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malahide View Post

I bought Inavx after ready some positive reviews and confirming that it would work with an external GPS. It wasn't cheap at $50 bucks but was a fraction of a boat unit... This plotter was a poor choice for me. The charts are expensive! $300 every two years for the west coast of the US and Canada??? Too much. Also the charts are difficult to select and navigate. this would have improved with the learning curve but I was turned off by the price of the charts.

I am not sure where you got the $300 price from, but NOAA charts for US waters are free. Charts for all Canada cost $99.95. I just finished downloading NOAA charts for all the Great Lakes, and I didn't have to pay anything. I don't find it difficult to select charts, since iNav-x does this for me. I suggest that you download the users manual so that you can understand all the features of this app.

I have been using an i-Pad and i-Navx for five years. I initially bought it as a backup, but it was so much better than my chartplotter that I now use the chartplotter only as a radar display.

For me, one of the biggest advantages of using an i-Pad is that there are many nav apps available. Unlike old style chartplotters, I am not stuck with the software that comes with the device. Someday I may find an app that I like better than iNav-x. If I do, it will be easy to switch.

A good place to read about boating apps is here: i-Marine Apps
Rossland is offline   Reply With Quote