View Single Post
Old 04-25-2016, 07:52 AM   #22
rwidman
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Today as we proceeded north through Maryland, we were flagged down by a USCG patrol boat. They said that they wanted to perform a boat safety inspection. I said that we were recently inspected by the CG Auxilliary and that the sticker was on the forward window. They pulled their boat forward to check it out. They asked how many people were aboard and I told them my wife and myself. They asked me to please hold up 2 adult life jackets which I did. They thanked me and wished me a good day. Never boarded us.

Proof positive for the voluntary inspection by the USCG Auxilliary.
My experience was the opposite. I was boarded entering Hampton, VA last June. They called me on the radio and told me to prepare to be boarded. I told them about my "sticker" and they politely told me that they didn't give a rat's ass about the sticker, they were going to board my boat. When someone has a machine gun mounted on the front of their boat, that takes away most of your options.

They were not unpleasant or unreasonable but it was good that my wife was on board to show them the documents, PFDs, etc. because someone had to drive the boat and keep it inside the channel.

One thing I don't understand though. Why do you need a photo ID to drive or even ride on a boat but not to vote for President in some states?
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote